collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 598
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16159 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11275 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: John Booth still wants Manor GP on F1 grid this year  (Read 6406 times)

Offline Alianora La Canta

Re: John Booth still wants Manor GP on F1 grid this year
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2015, 02:16:41 PM »
There is a question that always hovered around in my mind, did they know last year will be the year to bust?

Caterham, I think, knew 2014 was almost literally win or bust. I don't think Marussia ever let that sort of pessimism enter their heads until it was forced upon them. They knew they were under major financial stress but I think they always believed that if they finished 2014 and got the Bernie money, they'd be OK indefinitely. After all, if your team nearly has enough budget with no Bernie money, surviving with an extra £35 m a year (i.e. 50% more budget) is a doddle.

Unfortunately their main sponsor compounded his general cluelessness about how much a F1 team actually costs by ceasing to put in any funds at all at a crucial moment, and with both drivers' sponsors being less than consistent in their funding (Max's sponsors had a "glitch" heading into Spa and it's not clear how much got paid after that point, and obviously Ferrari cannot justify funding a seat if none of their development drivers are in it).
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline F1fanaticBD

« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2015, 04:33:06 PM »
Could not the people of Ferrari, put another driver from their stable and maintain the team? They are a team who would give important feedback in this all important race of engines, and knowing they will get a significant amount if they make it next year. Is Bernie trying to save his money, by making life difficult for this team? The fall of this company is simply extrodinary, horrible and to me unacceptable. The combo of Jules & Marussia really have a touch of fairytale, so having them not around in the grid is very difficult to fathom for me.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2015, 08:50:20 PM by F1fanaticBD »
Keep running the fast cars, you will be never out of girls

« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2015, 08:46:54 PM »
Ferrari would have been happy to put Raffaele Marciello in as a substitute for Jules Bianchi - after all, Raffaele is being prepared for F1 and what better low-key start than at Marussia, for a team that wasn't going to trouble anyone except Caterham? The trouble was that in Sochi Marussia felt it would be disrespectful to put anyone else in the car (it's not clear they could really have afforded car #1 let alone car #2 thanks to their non-paying oligarch, but that was hardly their top concern at that moment) and after that Marussia couldn't afford to get a car in a place where Ferrari could have provided a driver. Mind you, Ferrari is still owed a fair amount for its 2014 engines, so it is more likely that the sponsorship would at least partly be in the form of forgiving debt.

Bernie's always trying to save his money, but in this case he has no choice. The Concorde Agreement says money won can't vest for 12 months (to stop manufacturers sweeping all before them and bolting with the money) and CVC doesn't allow Bernie to do "Bernie loans" on that prize money any more (how small teams used to bridge gaps like this).

Agreed with you on Jules and Marussia having been something of a fairytale. Still hoping for (at least) one more magic spell and wish for each of them.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2015, 06:08:30 AM »
Booth says he is negotiating with an investor, could it be Haas?

http://www.worldcarfans.com/115012187606/rumour---haas-to-rescue-marussia-for-2015
Lonny

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2015, 12:24:12 PM »
The Racer mag doesn't think it's Haas. In any case, the auction is on hold.

http://www.racer.com/f1/item/112677-haas-to-use-former-marussia-factory
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2015, 03:01:21 PM »
Marussia/Manor is having a Company Voluntary Arrangement meeting on February 19th. This means that in return for a fixed monthly payment to the creditors (organised by an insolvency practitioner), the team will be able to exit administration and compete unimpeded. Admittedly, creditors representing 75% of the monies owed has to agree to the arrangement, but this is likely thanks to the way the Bernie monies are paid out (in instalments across the year, guaranteed until the end of 2016 if the team participates even in the worst-case performance scenario, likely to continue past that thanks to reducing team count and effect of doubling the team's budget on Manor's performance). Yippee!  :yahoo:
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)

Offline F1fanaticBD

« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2015, 01:18:46 AM »
There is still fair bit of politics involved in the matter. But I hope F1 people for a while apply their common sense.

http://en.espnf1.com/blogs/motorsport/story/190731.html
Keep running the fast cars, you will be never out of girls

Offline Irisado

« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2015, 05:12:09 PM »
Manor has today announced Will Stevens as their first driver, so they're still pressing ahead.  It seems as though they're going to run the 2014 car updated to 2015 safety rules.  I hope that they make it in time for Melbourne.
Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2015, 02:03:55 PM »
I like the fact that Will has been picked by Manor. He did a good job in Abu Dhabi and was in danger of being overlooked.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle