collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 241
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11275 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: VSC rules explained  (Read 2841 times)

Offline Scott

VSC rules explained
« on: January 10, 2015, 04:42:53 PM »
Pretty bizarre...to me it seems the wording is more about staying above a minimum speed rather than below one.   :DntKnw: :DntKnw:  Safety - FIA style.

And just saying, the only thing they do in the pits these days is change the tires, so to say a car can only go into the pits for the purpose of changing tires while the VSC is out is a bit redundant, no?  The only other reason is most likely to retire the car, and at that point, who cares what the FIA thinks?

http://www.pitpass.com/53176/Virtual-Safety-Car-rules-revealed

The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline cosworth151

Re: VSC rules explained
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2015, 05:27:00 PM »
The pits rule has me confused, too. Could they mean that cars can't make repairs, like replace a nose cone, clear debris from a rad or adjust wing settings? That wouldn't even make sense.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2015, 09:02:02 PM »

And just saying, the only thing they do in the pits these days is change the tires, so to say a car can only go into the pits for the purpose of changing tires while the VSC is out is a bit redundant, no?  The only other reason is most likely to retire the car, and at that point, who cares what the FIA thinks?

I think I can understand the pit situation, it's to stop a time or stop 'n go penalty being taken under the VSC - isn't it?

On the other question of keeping above a delta speed that surely is to prevent some drivers slowing to allow a teammate - or even another friendly team's car - past during VSCs. 
Below I have pasted some relevant parts of the FIA sporting regs which make it clear that there is a delta time that must not be exceeded and generally no overtaking - some exceptions though.

The journos all seem to be reporting the minimum speed and not the maximum (I've read reports on two other sites that fail to mention it as well.)  ::)  I guess they think mentioning the latter is patronising to experienced F1 fans - either that or they have all copied from one original story.  :D

41.5 All competing cars must reduce speed and stay above the minimum time set by the FIA ECU at least once in each marshalling sector (a marshalling sector is defined as the section of track between each of the FIA light panels). All cars must also be above this minimum time when the FIA light panels change to green (see 41.7 below).
The stewards may impose either of the penalties under Article 16.3a), b), c) or d) on any driver who fails to stay above the minimum time as required by the above.
41.6 With the exception of the cases listed under a) to d) below, no driver may overtake another car on the track whilst the VSC procedure is in use.
The exceptions are :
a) When entering the pits a driver may pass another car remaining on the track after he has reached the first safety car line.
b) When leaving the pits a driver may overtake, or be overtaken by, another car on the track before he reaches the second safety car line.
c) Whilst in the pit entry, pit lane or pit exit a driver may overtake another car which is also in one of these three areas.
d) If any car slows with an obvious problem. 

Extract from FIA Sporting regs published 08/01/2015
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Scott

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2015, 10:07:26 PM »
Still kinda strange.  I would have thought they would include the stop and go stipulation among the regulations about stop and go penalties - obviously not allowed to be taken during yellow, VSC or any time the pit is closed for any reason.

I still think that unless they have equipped the cars with throttle regulators so the drivers can just mash the throttle with the button down like they used to do in pit lane, it will be way too much math and/or forcing the drivers to give WAY too much attention to their steering wheel display instead of paying attention to something dangerous on the track...which after all is really the POINT to the VSC, isn't it?  Even more difficult the more 'coaching' they take away from the pit wall. 

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2015, 10:18:24 PM »
Drivers have to stay above a minimum time, which means they can't exceed a certain speed. Though there's another rule saying they can't be driven excessively slowly either.

The "pit only to change tyres" is probably meant to stop penalties from being taken, but it also bans accident damage from being repaired or dangerous cars from being retired in the pit garage (as opposed to abandoned at the side of the track). Silly FIA...

Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline Scott

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2015, 10:44:34 PM »
Drivers have to stay above a minimum time, which means they can't exceed a certain speed. Though there's another rule saying they can't be driven excessively slowly either.

Ok, I get it.  Minimum time, not minimum speed.  Makes total sense.   :fool: :fool:

However I still think the complexity of the speed/sector etc...means the driver needs to spend way too much time looking at his displays.

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2015, 10:24:08 AM »
Agreed. There's a reason other series employing this rule ask for a constant speed to be kept around the lap.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle