collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 383
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 2
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11251 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Manor Plans To Return by Bahrain  (Read 8842 times)

Offline Alianora La Canta

Re: Manor Plans To Return by Bahrain
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2015, 10:44:37 AM »
4 teams gave a limited itemisation of costs as an average (Force India, Sauber, Caterham and Marussia/Manor), though car build was separated into different parts and in some cases combined with R&D (which wouldn't change for the number of cars).

I will halve the power system, tyres, freight and fuel/fluids cost (they were all customer teams).

I will take 2/5 off the chassis production costs. This is because small teams typically have 5 chassis (except if they have a crash magnet driving for them), including one crash test/general test car and 2 chassis per "race car" per season.

I will take 1/3 off gearbox/hydraulics (they have some R&D costs to meet because they typically design their hydraulic systems but not the gearboxes).

I will take 1/4 off electronics (these are mostly designed in-house, meaning R&D's basically the same no matter how many cars are involved, and I'm generously guessing production cost).

Salaries will be cut by 1/25 because the only staff likely to be able to be released would be the secondary pit crew (12 out of a minimum of 200 staff) and even that's not clear because everyone on the F1 travelling team does at least two jobs - their weekend one and their set-up/take-down one.

Travel and trackside facilities will be unchanged because the costs are essentially fixed by the travel team count and FIA fees. Windtunnel/CFD fees are R&D and also unchanged. IT, utilities/factory maintenance, HR and professional services are tied into the size of staff and facility, plus fixed fees because it's an F1 team, so don't change either.

This converts the figures to a hypothetical one-car team cost of:

Hybrid power system $14 million
Gearbox and hydraulics $3.67 million
Fuel and lubricants $0.75 million
Tires $0.9 million
Electronics $1.53 million
IT $3 million
Salaries $19.2 million
Travel and trackside facilities $12 million
Chassis production/manufacturing $10 million
Wind tunnel/CFD facilities $18.5 million
Utilities and factory maintenance $2 million
HR and professional services $1.5 million
Freight $2.5 million
TOTAL $89.55 million

You can make the costs reduce by a third by having a one-car team... ...but the most you could possibly get would be three-quarters the amount a two-car team gets (50% of general team payments are on championship position, the other 50% on individual results... ...for which two cars' positions are counted). A team unable to get into the top 10 would be limited to 50% of what a two-car team could get.

Add to that the fact that pay drivers are a major income item, meaning you'd lose a significant income stream if only using one car, and that non-trade sponsors are likelt to pay half as much for space on a one-car team, and the equation falls over very, very quickly.

Three-car team permissions for the back half of the grid (with all 3 cars allowed to score championship points) would probably work better.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline Scott

« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2015, 07:40:15 AM »
Roberto Merhi To partner Will Stevens in the Manor.  Nice to see they ave the full lineup.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/formula1/31808243
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Online John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2015, 09:50:33 AM »
At last we have the full grid of 20 drivers, well 21 if you count Alonso.  :yahoo: Now let's get racing.

Can't remember the last time we waited this long to know the full grid for the opening race, not sure if it's improved the run in to the first race  - or if it's just plain embarrassing for the pinnacle of motorsport.  :DntKnw:

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2015, 02:30:02 PM »
At last we have the full grid of 20 drivers, well 21 if you count Alonso.  :yahoo: Now let's get racing.

Can't remember the last time we waited this long to know the full grid for the opening race, not sure if it's improved the run in to the first race  - or if it's just plain embarrassing for the pinnacle of motorsport.  :DntKnw:

Didn't we wait this long to find out if Brawn could race?

Online John S

• F1 Legend
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2015, 03:28:38 PM »

Didn't we wait this long to find out if Brawn could race?

I know it seems it was as close, but Brawn was confirmed with it's driver line up 2 weeks before the actual race, more if you count the days before waiting for FIA confirmations. 
The eleventh hour Manor scramble to get cars crash tested & ready to ship, or the 6 days from race start for the driver confirmation, is still a modern record I think.

Others in the past have made hard work of getting to the first race, some have missed the race entirely, but apart from Brawn & Manor their entries for the F1 season were registered well before hand; - or not in the case of Phoenix finance buyers of defunct Prost team in 2002, they simply had trouble convincing the FIA to let them race without paying the $48m bond as they were declared a new team. 

« Last Edit: March 10, 2015, 03:30:26 PM by John S »

Offline Irisado

« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2015, 11:31:27 AM »
Minardi was very late onto the grid for the start of the 2001 season.  Paul Stoddart taking the team over just in time.  Alonso was nominated quite early on, but I'm pretty sure the second driver (Marques) was not confirmed until a few days before Melbourne.

Mehri is apparently only contracted to participate in the first few races, so he may not drive for the whole season.
Soņando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2015, 01:37:43 PM »
Brawn actually managed to make it to a whole test (where it spent the week being accused of running on fumes or running an illegally light car, such was its pace). Even Force India was later off the marks than Brawn in terms of preparation, let alone Manor! That said, 2009 started relatively late, and the final test of the 2009 season was the second week of March. (The first race of 2009 was the absurdly late date of March 29th).

Manor would have been this late when it was Virgin in 2010 (as were all the other new teams) and Hispania were habitually late in their three years. Minardi did indeed do a 50 km shakedown. (Oh, and let's not forget the comical instance of Stefan GP, who took their entire kit and caboodle to Bahrain 2010 despite not being on the relevant entry list).

Merhi has a Formula 3.5 contract and would need to be bought out of it to race beyond the first four flyaways. I imagine the amount would be fairly low if Robert proved to be someone with whom Manor wanted a longer-term relationship.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)

Offline Irisado

« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2015, 08:12:36 PM »
That explains his contract length then.  Thank you.  I was wondering if there was a specific reason behind it.
Soņando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline Scott

« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2015, 12:25:25 PM »
Unfortunately Manor was unable to start the race because they had trouble uploading software that they had dumped during the company's administration.  I think Ali said she was going to buy one of their computers in an auction...she could have at least sent them back their software for this race  ;) ;) :D :D

Thankfully there will be no penalty, and hopefully they will have the cars sorted out by Malaysia.

http://www.crash.net/f1/news/215567/1/manor-cleared-over-australian-gp-noshow.html

http://www.crash.net/f1/news/215567/1/manor-cleared-over-australian-gp-noshow.html
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Irisado

« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2015, 01:09:30 PM »
I'm pleased that no penalty was applied.  It's clear that the team was trying its best.  They wouldn't send a full staff out to Australia not to bother racing at all, so I can imagine that they were very frustrated not to get on track.  I really hope that they will run in Malaysia.

« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2015, 02:21:41 PM »
I too hope that Manor runs. Going all that way and not racing must be a nightmare.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)

Online John S

• F1 Legend
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2015, 02:30:54 PM »
I'm pleased that no penalty was applied.  It's clear that the team was trying its best.  They wouldn't send a full staff out to Australia not to bother racing at all, so I can imagine that they were very frustrated not to get on track.  I really hope that they will run in Malaysia.

It's not the view that Bernie's taken, he reckons they never tried to start.  :o

http://www.grandprixtimes.com/news/display/10014

« Reply #27 on: March 17, 2015, 03:33:23 PM »
He reckons wrong, but if he's taken that line, I think that also means that Manor misses the first part of their payment for 2014 (as it's tied to participation in 2015).
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)

Offline F1fanaticBD

« Reply #28 on: March 17, 2015, 06:27:07 PM »
I was very glad to see these teams at least on the track, they have really fought hard to make it to the grid of the Australian Grand Prix. I really hope they make some improvements to make it to the race for Malaysia.
Keep running the fast cars, you will be never out of girls

Offline Irisado

« Reply #29 on: March 18, 2015, 12:42:27 PM »
Ecclestone is just out to put all teams he doesn't want on the grid out of business.  I have no time for his views whatsoever.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle