collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 616
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11275 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Car seized for mods.  (Read 4666 times)

Offline lkjohnson1950

Car seized for mods.
« on: March 14, 2015, 02:33:51 PM »
So in Britain you have to re register your car if you modify it? Talk about government intrusion.

http://www.worldcarfans.com/115031390479/northumbria-police-seizes-vauxhall-corsa-for-being

Lonny

Offline Alianora La Canta

Re: Car seized for mods.
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2015, 02:45:41 PM »
Such has been the case ever since I can remember. It's because the government got fed up of people either making their cars more dangerous or accidentally voiding their insurance (insurers won't pay out for modded cars unless they know what the mods were - and their definition extends as far as changing the colour of the paint job).
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2015, 03:53:50 PM »
Such has been the case ever since I can remember. It's because the government got fed up of people either making their cars more dangerous or accidentally voiding their insurance (insurers won't pay out for modded cars unless they know what the mods were - and their definition extends as far as changing the colour of the paint job).

Well, I know part of the reason that cars have license plates is for identification.  You can't swap your plates onto a different car, so I can appreciate that if you change the outward appearance of your car, that has to be registered with the government

As for anything under the hood, I don't really see that as the government's business, but I suppose someone has to enforce that all modifications are legal.

My guess is these laws are only used when someone is posing a real danger, but haven't broken any serious laws yet.

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2015, 05:13:35 PM »
If they tried this in America (or at least Arizona) blood would be shed.
Lonny

Offline Andy B

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2015, 04:31:15 AM »
As its the law in the UK that the vehicle has to be as registered with the insurance and DVLA and that modifications have to be legal and safe I cannot see any argument.
Once you have retired every day is a Saturday!

Offline Wizzo

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2015, 04:50:44 AM »
Surely in other countries if you change the engine of the original to a much larger one then you would have to inform your insurance company?

In the UK you have to inform your insurance company if you improve performance and/or if you significantly change 'the look' of the car.

Wiz
"No Matter how little money and how few possessions, you own, having a dog makes you rich."

GPWizard F1 Forum https://www.gpwizard.co.uk
:wizard:
Wizzo

Offline Scott

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2015, 09:08:20 AM »
Insurance yes, but government no...in Canada.

Here in Switzerland I'm sure you have to ask permission before you do it...seems to be the way for everything.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2015, 10:38:30 AM »
Insurance yes, but government no...in Canada.

Here in Switzerland I'm sure you have to ask permission before you do it...seems to be the way for everything.

Scott the car would be seized anyway in the UK for having no valid insurance.

The validity of insurance relies on you disclosing all salient facts, without the documentation to back the mods being approved as road legal, by the licencing authority(the government), no insurer would agree to cover being in place.

All uninsured cars on the roads are now seized by the police in the UK. You can get them back if cover is promptly put in place, still get hauled to court and fined/banned though.

- Oh and any car not claimed is crushed.  |-(

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Scott

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2015, 10:59:13 AM »
I think receipts for work or parts would be enough for most insurers, but maybe in the UK the government prints the only paper recognized by insurers.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2015, 05:01:12 PM »
Lonny

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2015, 06:21:48 PM »
I think receipts for work or parts would be enough for most insurers, but maybe in the UK the government prints the only paper recognized by insurers.

If you fit much larger engines into cars not originally supplied with such engines the official paperwork has to match for insurance legality purposes, and to meet road vehicle regulations.

In many cases modified vehicles will have to undergo type approval as if it's a different model and be re-registered. In some cases the cars will have to change registration plates to a Q plate.

Insurers certainly don't want young men driving around in mini hatchbacks on steroids, they are likely to ask for quite a few £K extra to insure such vehicles - if at all.
Now that's why these boy racers don't want to tell their insurers. 
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2015, 06:54:27 PM »
Registration fees based on performance? That's insane!

If they tried this in America (or at least Arizona) blood would be shed.

If they tried it here in Appalachia, there would be full blown insurrection!

Surely in other countries if you change the engine of the original to a much larger one then you would have to inform your insurance company?

Nobody I know ever has.

My first car was a (very) used 1961 Falcon wagon. It had a 170 cid straight 6 with a 3 on the tree. I swapped it for a heavily tweaked 300 cube truck 6 with a Mustang 4 speed. I could honestly tell the insurance man that it was a 6 popper, manual shift Falcon.  ;)
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Dare

« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2015, 11:46:09 PM »
Even in America why take a chance.I'm sure insurance
companies would use anything to get out of paying a claim.

Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2015, 04:47:37 PM »

That is exactly the case.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle