collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 211
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16157 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11273 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Mercedes - Malaysia win for Ferrari a Wake-Up call.  (Read 2474 times)

Offline Scott

Mercedes - Malaysia win for Ferrari a Wake-Up call.
« on: March 30, 2015, 02:39:36 PM »
Wolff doesn't really get it.  The win in Malaysia wasn't really a show of how fast Ferrari is closing.  It was a show of how big a brain fart the guys at Mercedes can make.  If they hadn't screwed themselves in the tire allocations, they would have had the top two steps. 

But hey Toto, spin it how you like.   :fool: :fool:

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/117996

...and Lewis agrees with me.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/formula1/32106681
« Last Edit: March 30, 2015, 02:42:38 PM by Scott »

The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Jericoke

Re: Mercedes - Malaysia win for Ferrari a Wake-Up call.
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2015, 04:28:40 PM »
'Everone knows' that a strong Ferrari is good for Formula One.

I have no idea if this is true or not, but it would see that Wolf believes it.  Talking Ferrari up instead of Mercedes down makes sense on a lot of levels.

Besides, it's nice to see someone not holding their team to task through the media.  (Who knows what went on behind closed doors, where it belongs)

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2015, 10:42:54 AM »
Not sure a Merc win would have been certain if they had kept the extra set of mediums. Yes they may have got closer but we don't know, and Ferrari or Vettel aren't going to say, if they had more in hand in the final stages of the race.

Sure it's probably likely that Ferrari were at full tilt for most of the race, James Allison has admitted that they had a very small speed advantage if any because the Mercs got bottled up behind loads of cars after pit stops and calculating their true full race speed is impossible. But surely there has to room for a bit of sandbagging from the Reds camp, so perhaps they did have a bit in hand.

For me it was the Tyres that did Merc in.  :D  A combination of the heat, super abrasive surface and the tendency for the chassis to overuse the rubber gave them too much of a challenge to overcome. It was fun seeing the World champs in panic mode though.  ;)   
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Irisado

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2015, 01:00:17 PM »
I agree that Ferrari could have still won this race, even if Mercedes had got their tyre strategy right, but it would have been a lot harder for Ferrari to win than it was had Mercedes been on the ball.  It seems to me that they were too complacent after free practice, and thought that they would still win easily, regardless of which tyres they used in the race.  As soon as you get complacent in Formula 1, it can come back to bite you, and this is exactly what happened.
Soņando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2015, 02:12:37 PM »
I think that it is equally as true that Merc lost the race as much, if not more so, than Ferrari won it. Merc seemed to be in chaos all week-end. It wasn't just the choice of tires, it was the timing of the stops and the confused communications.

That said, Merc was very lucky that Kimi had issues early on. He would have had a good chance of making the podium, too.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2015, 05:05:14 AM »
For me Kimi was the driver of the race. Vettel was on point to be sure, but Kimi was so far behind and just came right through the field. I wish they had shown more of it. This car suits him better than last year's.
Lonny

Offline F1fanaticBD

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2015, 02:42:33 PM »
I think after the start of the race, the dream run of Ferrari started, with everything falling into places almost like they dreamed about. Both the drivers did the best they could, and brought perhaps one of the dominant Ferrari performance for a long time. So Kudos to Ferrari as a team  :good:  :good:
Keep running the fast cars, you will be never out of girls

Offline Scott

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2015, 03:03:27 PM »
Absolutely.  Completely agree that Kimi was the driver of the race, and Ferrari had all the pieces fall into place for a change.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle