collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 604
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11275 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Cars you've never heard of  (Read 3895 times)

Offline Dare

Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Online cosworth151

Re: Cars you've never heard of
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2015, 03:53:57 PM »
Absolutely beautiful! Good find, Dare!

As few notes:

The Marmon was built in Indianapolis. In fact, the first Indy 500 was won by a Marmon. They were among many luxury car brands to fail during the Depression. They continued building large trucks under the Marmon and Marmon-Herrington names until the 1960's.

Hispano Suiza also built a special car for the King of Spain in 1911. That car, the Hispano Suiza Alfonso XIII, is considered to be the first sports car. There is an attempt to revive the marque: http://www.hispanosuiza.de/

I've always loved streamline art deco, so Delahaye has long been a favorite of mine.

REO stood for Ransom Eli Olds. He started the marque after loosing his first motor company, Oldsmobile, to Billy Durant's GM. REO also built a truck model called the Speedwagon.  (Really!)
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2015, 04:31:26 PM »
Yeah, us OL' Farts are more familiar with these fallen flag brands. I agree with Cos (!), I love the Art Deco Delahayes. They could have thrown in a couple of Talbots, former F1 entrant Rob Walker had a beauty.
Lonny

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2015, 08:05:22 PM »
Absolutely beautiful! Good find, Dare!

As few notes:

The Marmon was built in Indianapolis. In fact, the first Indy 500 was won by a Marmon. They were among many luxury car brands to fail during the Depression. They continued building large trucks under the Marmon and Marmon-Herrington names until the 1960's.

Hispano Suiza also built a special car for the King of Spain in 1911. That car, the Hispano Suiza Alfonso XIII, is considered to be the first sports car. There is an attempt to revive the marque: http://www.hispanosuiza.de/

I've always loved streamline art deco, so Delahaye has long been a favorite of mine.

REO stood for Ransom Eli Olds. He started the marque after loosing his first motor company, Oldsmobile, to Billy Durant's GM. REO also built a truck model called the Speedwagon.  (Really!)

Indeed the pictures are beautiful, but the story behind the cars is oh so much more special.

Offline Scott

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2015, 12:22:58 PM »
Some real beauties in there...I particularly like the series of Delahaye's and that Bugatti Ghia roadster would be a great car for Bugatti to focus on now that they've ended the run of Veyrons (Philbe and I will have a peek at the last ever Veyron built at the Geneva Auto show in a couple of weeks).   :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Philbe

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2015, 08:09:32 PM »
Oh yeah...some amazing cars there. the Delahaye has allways been a fav. But I have never seen the rolls coupe. That had to have been a one off for an auto salon or something. The Siata looks an awful lot like an early 50's Ferrari 255. Wonder if old man Ferrari had something to do with never hearing about Siata...hmmm
Geneva is going to be amazing...new mclarens, aston, and a kia concept, koeningsegg plug in and new agara.

Online cosworth151

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2015, 01:29:42 PM »
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline F1fanaticBD

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2015, 04:19:05 PM »
Gorgeous beauties there. Delage & Hispano Suiza used to be the favorites of the Maharajas of this part of the world, hence there are few remarkable pieces are present here.

There is some stark resemblance with Siata 208s & Ferrari 250 mm
Keep running the fast cars, you will be never out of girls

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle