collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 312
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 2
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11253 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Bernie the mouth is at it again  (Read 6439 times)

Online Dare

Bernie the mouth is at it again
« on: March 29, 2015, 08:25:16 PM »
If Bernie is half as smart as he pretends why can't
he understand know one pays any attention to him
and we regret that after his bribery trial he still has
any say so in F1.

http://www.auto123.com/en/racing-news/f1-bernie-ecclestone-regrets-letting-manor-return?artid=175861

Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline lkjohnson1950

Re: Bernie the mouth is at it again
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2015, 08:45:40 PM »
I never heard of anything as ridiculous as paying a settlement to make a criminal case go away.  :fool:
Lonny

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2015, 09:28:31 PM »
In the UK, it is extremely common. Typical reasons include:

- the prosecution realises their case is as flat as a pancake but doesn't have the grace to drop it (sometimes the settlement involves the prosecution paying the defendent compensation, especially if the judge is likely to chastise the prosecution's handling of the case)

- the defendent is guilty but very rich, and the state can't afford to say "no"

- it's not clear what state the defendent is in, but one or both sides feel the case has dragged on too long and neither side cares much about the outcome any more

- it's not clear what state the defendent is in, but there isn't enough evidence to find out and one side feels the natural collapse of a case would be to their disadvantage

- something has happened that would normally cause the case to collapse, and neither side can be bothered to go through a re-trial

- the side in the right has overextended themselves in terms of legal fees and can't afford to get justice
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Online Dare

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2015, 12:15:00 AM »
I'd have to guess Bernie fits the

- the defendent is guilty but very rich, and the state can't afford to say "no"
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline Andy B

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2015, 01:04:26 AM »
Does he not have a point?
Its like all the stores on the High Street funding someone to open another store and then they do not open on a Saturday! :DntKnw:

Puts on tin hat and heads for the hills.  :crazy:
Once you have retired every day is a Saturday!

Offline Scott

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2015, 09:34:19 AM »
No, it's not like that at all.

It would be more like if all the stores on High Street had to pay a protection racket run by Bernie, and one store didn't have enough to pay Bernie, so Bernie starts strong arming the place.

Bernie gets no trickle down from a team like Manor. 
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2015, 12:35:57 PM »
But yet here we are paying attention to some ridiculous thing that Bernie said. He's like an infant who will throw a tantrum any time he feels like he's not getting hi9s due of attention. Besides, he truly believes that the greatest tragedy on Earth is a dollar, pound, euro, yen, whatever going to someone other than him.

I never heard of anything as ridiculous as paying a settlement to make a criminal case go away.

Here in the States, that's called "Too big to fail." Wall Street criminals pull that all the time.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2015, 02:05:22 PM »
Scott, Bernie does get trickle-down from a team like Manor. There are people watching for Manor and their ilk, and as Manor is the only one of its ilk remaining, losing it means losing those viewers.  Bernie might not care... ...until the amount he can get from TV and sponsors goes down.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)

Offline Scott

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2015, 02:27:52 PM »
But Bernie is like a politician...he wants the payout in the next 6 months, otherwise it's a waste of time.  Like my recently deceased 100 year old Great Uncle, Bernie probably doesn't even buy green bananas anymore (he loved that saying).   ;) ;)

What is Bernie thinking when he yanks 1/19th of their prize money from last year?  Them not running in Australia has nothing to do with last year's prize money.  He really WAS born an a$$hole.  And handing them an invoice for air shipping their stuff after he said he would foot the bill is just adding to the insult.  I honestly can't believe I am anxious for a person to die, but in his case, I really am. 

The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2015, 03:11:15 PM »
What is Bernie thinking when he yanks 1/19th of their prize money from last year?  Them not running in Australia has nothing to do with last year's prize money... ...And handing them an invoice for air shipping their stuff after he said he would foot the bill is just adding to the insult.  I honestly can't believe I am anxious for a person to die, but in his case, I really am.

Manor could not run because they were obliged by law to remove some software at a certain point to help repay creditors, software that could not be replaced in time for qualifying. If Bernie was going to pull the money, he needed to send it to the creditors to compensate them for the consequences of Manor's absence. Same with the travel fees. The creditors would probably be able to sue for these if Manor did not receive them (and surely will if Manor misses the CVA payment this month on account of Bernie's behaviour!)

Regardless of your speculation regarding Bernie's birth, he was apparently also born not understanding contract law.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2015, 05:17:25 PM »
Bernie believes, probably correctly, that contract law doesn't apply to people as wealthy as him. Your contract is only as good as your lawyers, ask the Sauber Drivers Club.
Lonny

Online Dare

« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2015, 05:50:59 PM »
Scott said    .  I honestly can't believe I am anxious for a person to die, but in his case, I really am.

What a horrible thing to say Scotty and I couldn't
agree more with you.Bernie is a waste of dna.

Online Jericoke

« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2015, 10:25:48 PM »
Bernie strikes again.

http://autoweek.com/article/formula-one/f1-boss-bernie-ecclestone-casts-doubt-german-italian-gps?utm_source=RacingDaily20150327&utm_medium=enewsletter&utm_term=headline-center&utm_content=body&utm_campaign=awracingdaily

There's a lot of great quotes in there:

Hockenheim has a contract for next year.

"That doesn't make a difference," Ecclestone said. "A lot of people have a contract.

A lot of people in F1 are learning that the hard way.

But then there's this:

"We tried to do something with 'Schuey,' doing a recording and he would answer questions," Ecclestone said. "When you do and you have someone there asking the questions and they say, 'Yep, maybe,' then they answer, 'Could be,' and then, 'Don't know,' there's no point. In fact, it's negative and worse than saying nothing."

Maybe we don't get enough F1 news in Canada, but, since when has Schumacher been awake and conversational?!  :yahoo: It's hard to say what is 'important' news and what isn't, but surely the future of F1 in Germany is tied to Michael Schumacher's progress?!  Why is this just a bizarre footnote?

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2015, 10:36:37 PM »
The future of F1 in Germany is tied to getting Bernie his money, nothing more. He drops a big hint that the government should get involved, mentioning other sporting events that are bankrolled by taxpayers.
Lonny

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle