collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 514
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11275 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: GULF AIR BAHRAIN GRAND PRIX - 2015  (Read 6241 times)

Offline J.Clark

GULF AIR BAHRAIN GRAND PRIX - 2015
« on: April 16, 2015, 03:22:16 PM »
Here we go - seems like only last week we were racing in China.   :DD
Oh, right, so we were.

Bahrain International Circuit - one of several (now on the calendar) of Herman Tilke's purpose-designed tracks, many of which causes me to wonder, just what is the purpose (?).  Not the worst by any means and it has produced some pretty good racing over the years, unlike a few that never (almost) have an exciting race.  Wind and sand are problems here.

It is a 15 turn, 5.4 km (3.4 miles) circuit with four straights and DRS zones on two of them.  Construction was begun in 2002 and the first race was in 2004.  It cost £94M!  Grands Prix have raced in each year except for 2011 so having missed the one year, this will be the 11th.  It became a night race in 2014.

The lap record of 1:30.252 was set by Schumacher in 2004 in that awesome, bullet proof, Prancing Horse.
Previous race winners on the 2015 grid:
Alonso (3x) - this is not likely to produce a fourth for him
Massa (2x) - not a probable winner
Vettel (2x) - has a definite chance to make this number three
Hamilton  - has the best chance to add a win to his total
Interestingly enough to mention is the fact that this race is won by the pole sitter less than half of the time.

There was good intra-team racing in 2014:
Rosberg started on pole and Hamilton won it, but the duel was certainly a fantastic show to watch.
Vettel qualified ahead of Ricciardo and lost out to his teammate.
Bottas started ahead of Massa and lost out to him in the end.
Kimi had a better starting position than Fred, but like the others, lost out.
There were six retirements, including both McLarens, a team I am sure hopes to turn that around this weekend.

I have a few images I think worthy - not sure how big they will be once posted, but . . .
One in particular I thought interesting as it shows speeds, G-forces and etc.

Life is short - live each day to the fullest.

Offline Irisado

Re: GULF AIR BAHRAIN GRAND PRIX - 2015
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2015, 12:15:30 PM »
The only exciting race ever staged here was the Rosberg and Hamilton battle from last year.  Otherwise, this venue lends itself to processional results, and I really don't feel that the track or the ambience is up to much.  It's just another circuit that's on the calendar as a cash boost for Ecclestone.

I'm expecting another Mercedes versus Ferrari contest with Williams close behind.  The interest will be who comes out on top in the midfield battle.  Force India were very strong here last year, but I'm not sure that they will repeat it, given the revitalisation of Sauber, and the strong performance of Toro Rosso in the races.
Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline J.Clark

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2015, 02:28:27 PM »
Saturday's free practice is in the books:
1.  Hamilton   Mercedes   1m 34.599s
2.  Vettel      Ferrari   1m 34.668s
3.  Rosberg      Mercedes   1m 34.968s
4.  Raikkonen   Ferrari   1m 35.141s
5.  Bottas      Williams-   1m 35.393s
6.  Massa      Williams   1m 35.471s
7.  Maldonado   Lotus    1m 36.307s
8.  Ricciardo   Red Bull   1m 36.355s
9.  Hulkenberg   Force India        1m 36.421s
10. Nasr      Sauber   1m 36.429s
11. Button      McLaren   1m 36.488s
12. Kvyat      Red Bull   1m 36.548s
13. Ericsson   Sauber   1m 36.612s
14. Verstappen    Toro Rosso   1m 36.684s
15. Perez      Force India   1m 36.727s
16. Alonso      McLaren   1m 36.899s
17. Sainz Jr      Toro Rosso   1m 36.979s
18. Grosjean   Lotus    1m 37.151s
19. Stevens   Manor Marussia   1m 39.745s
20. Merhi      Manor Marussia   1m 40.541s

Appearances can be deceiving, but at the moment, it appears that Ferrari and Williams have closed up a bit on the Mercs.  Mercedes could see more trouble from them in the race as well, as indicated in this graphic:  https://www.facebook.com/download/643587222409180/2015_04_brn_f1_p2_timing_secondpracticesessionlaptimes_v01.pdf

Although their timed laps have looked better this weekend, McLaren still have huge problems to overcome.  What is a bit interesting to me is their lack of open discussion of so much as what component it may be that they are experiencing trouble with.  It isn't like any competitor is running Honda power, and yet they are being very secretive - extremely so.

Qualifying could be very exciting.

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2015, 03:44:51 PM »
The wind has been quite high at the track so far this week-end. That has a majorly negative effect on the the cars running low downforce set-ups. That means that cars with lower power engines (Renault, maybe Honda) have to choose between low downforce (Higher speed on the straights but more likely to be blown around) or high downforce (slower but more stable).
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline J.Clark

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2015, 05:42:51 PM »
The grid is set:
1.  Hamilton   Mercedes   1m 32.571s
2.  Vettel      Ferrari   1m 32.982s
3.  Rosberg      Mercedes   1m 33.129s
4.  Raikkonen   Ferrari   1m 33.227s
5.  Bottas      Williams   1m 33.381s
6.  Massa      Williams   1m 33.744s
7.  Ricciardo   Red Bull   1m 33.832s
8.  Hulkenberg   Force India   1m 34.450s
9.  Sainz Jr      Toro Rosso   1m 34.462s
10. Grosjean   Lotus    1m 34.484s
11. Perez      Force India   1m 34.704s
12. Nasr      Sauber   1m 34.737s
13. Ericsson   Sauber   1m 35.034s
14. Alonso      McLaren   1m 35.039s
15. Verstappen  Toro Rosso   1m 35.103s
16. Maldonado   Lotus    1m 35.677s
17. Kvyat      Red Bull   1m 35.800s
18. Stevens   Manor    1m 38.713s
19. Merhi      Manor   1m 39.722s
20. Button      McLaren   No time

Ferrari and Williams are closer to the Mercedes.

Rosberg could easily finish 4th tomorrow when it is all over.

Bottas and Massa both have a fair shot at Rosberg too, based solely upon the Q2 time Massa laid down (relative to the others in the same session).  It will really come down to their pace over the race distance.

Ricciardo has an honest shot at the Williams too from the looks of it all.

Offline Scott

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2015, 07:29:27 PM »
Mercs and Ferraris front to back instead of sharing rows...that could make for a very interesting start tomorrow.  The Williams have slotted in behind the first 4 followed by Ricciardo as expected, but then the Hulk's Force India and STR driven by Phil's boy Sainz and then Grosjean...those are all surprises.

I expect the Saubers to advance, but Grosjean to fall back.  Alonso did an admirable job getting his Mclaren to 14th, so sad to see Button not finish a session the entire weekend so far.  Lets hope he finishes the race.  Kyat obviously had some sort of problem, because he isn't usually 2 seconds behind Ricciardo.

Did you see Ricciardo find some sort of tool in his cockpit when he got into the car for Q3?  Pretty funny.  The mechanic pocketed it pretty quick (it looked like one of those telescopic magnets for picking up lost screws and nuts).

Tomorrow if I was Hamilton I would have a close look in my mirrors before I hit my braking point on turn one.  I would not be the least surprised if Rosberg cut it closer than he should, or simply use Hamilton as a brake.

So, time to go update those picks...  ;)

See you guys on chat, but I might actually miss the first half hour or so.  We have a group that may not be finished before the race starts.  I'll be on by lap 10-15 I suppose.

My first Zero of the weekend?  BBC.  First for not shutting down some boring gymnastics event, and then at the end for skipping off to some silly game of pass the ball with your feet or something, played in some green park. 

They only get 10 races and they don't even bother with post Q interviews?  No wonder viewership of F1 is falling off.

Oh, and no Susie, those glasses do NOT make you seem more intelligent.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2015, 07:33:21 PM by Scott »
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Scott

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2015, 07:57:16 PM »
Rosberg has blamed himself (for a change?) for not Qualifying ahead of Vettel in tomorrows race.  His excuse was rather weak in my opinion, that he was a) thinking about the race more than Qualifying and b) that he underestimated Vettel and Ferraris speed.  He's not a very quick study if he is still underestimating Vettel or Ferrari.  Makes me wonder what's really going on up there in his kopf.  The Ferraris are beating everyone in the field and are right on the tail of the Mercs.  Millions of fans have seen that for the last 3 races.  Why didn't Nico?   

http://www1.skysports.com/f1/news/12514/9812241/nico-rosberg-blames-himself-for-latest-qualifying-setback-in-bahrain

Offline J.Clark

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2015, 08:15:40 PM »
Hobbs, Matchett and company said something that made a whole lot of sense about Rosberg.

He has grown up in an environment where constant coaching from the pit wall was not only possible, but happened all of the time.  He isn't like Hamilton (and others) who haven't always had the constant input and constantly just drive the car for what it is worth.  We have heard him ask his race engineer questions about performance, other cars situations and etc, that cannot be answered nowadays during the race.

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2015, 09:05:28 PM »
Makes me wonder what's really going on up there in his kopf.  The Ferraris are beating everyone in the field and are right on the tail of the Mercs.  Millions of fans have seen that for the last 3 races.  Why didn't Nico?   

Maybe he's just trying to give Ferrari a hand in recruiting Lewis by making them appear faster. :D - it might be the only way he can see a shot for himself at the WDC.  ;)

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline J.Clark

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2015, 03:45:32 AM »
I guess my question would be, what does having misjudged Vettel's speed have to do with putting your ass on pole?

Offline Ian

« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2015, 07:18:55 AM »
Yeah Scott, I was pretty peeved too at not seeing the post Q interviews, they've not even bothered to put it on their F1 site. You wait, I'll bet a pound to a penny that they don't miss a beat of Wimbledon, the cure for an insomniac.
An aircraft landing is just a controlled crash.

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2015, 10:10:00 AM »
Just for you Ian here's a transcript of what Nico said in the post Quali press conference:-

Q.Thank you. Coming to you Nico, obviously you've been on pole here for the past two years in Bahrain, but it wasn't your day today. Why not and are you surprised that in dry conditions Ferrari got in front of you in qualifying?

Nico Rosberg: Yeah, for sure, it was just strategy-wise today that I got it wrong, because I was thinking too much about the race and I underestimated Sebastian's speed and also how much it would cost me, and what I mean is that taking it easy in Q2 on the race set of tyres that we start the race with. I just lacked the rhythm as a result. I didn't into the rhythm and I just had one shot at it at the end with a new set, starting Q3 with a used set. So that's where I went wrong today. Disappointed, because Sebastian beat me. If I was second it would have been, still, damage limitation, but being third, that's really not ideal.

Q. Nico, from what you were saying from your first answer in the unilateral there about being very focussed on the race tomorrow, it was clear in Q2, you were 1.2s slower than Lewis with the time that got you through into Q3, that you were taking less life out of that set of tyres, that you'd start tomorrow's race on - but from the rest of your answer, does it imply that you didn't really expect in Q3 at the end to be able to get the pole?

NR: No, I did. But I didn't expect to go on used in the first part of Q3. I thought we'd go to new tyres. And I also didn't expect the used tyre to be so slow, like the used tyre was really, really poor. I thought used tyre would be pretty good, especially because I took it easy on that used tyre as well in Q1. But it was really poor. So that meant that I only really had a shot there at the end. And that was poor management. Really, really poor management. Especially because Sebastian's in front of me. Otherwise it would be sort-of OK still but…

Q.Just to be clear, poor management on your side…

NR: My side. Well, together, we always do it together - but I'm definitely largely responsible for that.
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Ian

« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2015, 10:54:13 AM »
I've seen that thanks John, just wanted to see sourpuss Rosberg's face.
An aircraft landing is just a controlled crash.

Offline Scott

« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2015, 10:54:32 AM »
What Nico had to say was probably the LEAST interesting bit.  What I meant was the whole post Q interviews and analysis.  Not just the press conference. 

Offline F1fanaticBD

« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2015, 10:23:11 PM »
Heroes & Zero

Hero :

1. Kimi : There is no way anyone else could be the hero, after that awesome charge in the end. His last stint could have been a folklore had Ferrari had pitted him 2 laps earlier. His 2nd stint after 1st round of pit-stop is something to behold.

2. Mercedes : For not making the race dull, and trying to defend strategically instead of sacrificing one of theirs. Made the best car for the grand prix, and holding off Ferrari's have us an spectacular race. Nico Rosberg should get the mentions for making those move stick, specially those made for Vettel.

3. Romain Grosjean : Kept his head calm, and scoring important points for the team. When the battle around him kept pushing people to make mistakes, he kept it simple to deliver the result that his team requires very much.

4. Manor Marussia : From a team almost in the brink of going out to finding themselves finishing both car in a grand prix is a great achievement for the team.

Zero :

1. Vettel : From a potential race winning position to a disappointing 5th place, his race has been erratic, and mistakes that questions his ability to drive. Perhaps to split the Mercedes in the qualifying his set-up of the car was less friendly for the race-setup and it showed through out the race.

2. Toro Rosso :Double knock-out for this race, does put a lot of questions about their reliability.

3. Renault : Riccardo has fried 3 of his 5 allocated engines in first four races, do I need to say more? 
Keep running the fast cars, you will be never out of girls

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle