collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 186
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16182 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
13028 Posts
John S John S
11302 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Fernando retirement rumours?  (Read 2274 times)

Offline Scott

Fernando retirement rumours?
« on: May 01, 2015, 07:37:29 PM »
Keep in mind the source - Piquet Jr.  I would bet that if Piquet was really a close friend of Alonso's, he wouldn't be spilling a bombshell like this to the press, and if he's not a close friend, I doubt he is privy to what is going on in Alonso's mind.

33 is not over the hill for an F1 driver anymore, and he must have known even when he first looked at the Mclaren/Honda deal that he would need to commit for the long term to see any chance of a WDC.

My take on this is somebody asked Piquet what he thinks might be going on with Alonso at the moment and he simply gave his opinion.  Nobody knows better than us that the break between the season opening fly-aways and the European season always makes the journalists hungry.

That said, if Alonso is seriously giving up on F1 simply because he and his management have made horrendous choices over the years, well I won't remember him as possibly the most talented driver F1 has ever seen (as I think of him now), but as a quitter with poor judgement.  Put your head down, work hard and stick with Mclaren for at least a few years.  Then go and join RBR and try again.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/formula1/32503163

The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Jericoke

Re: Fernando retirement rumours?
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2015, 07:56:28 PM »
Agreed on all counts

I do think that as much skill as Alonso has on track, he has a complete lack of it off track (compared to say Hamilton's ability to be at the right team at the right time).

I'm sure that spending a decade jumping from one awkward arrangement to the next has got to be taxing for an elite level athlete.  I would suspect that he did confide in Piquet Jr, but that it was more of a friendly chat than a genuine plan for the future.  We've all reminisced with old friends and said stuff that isn't really true or false, but just... thoughts about what could be.

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2015, 08:59:34 PM »
This talk of retirement is poppycock IMHO. Nando knew darn well that it would take at least a year, maybe two, for Macca to get on par with the leaders. Why else would he have signed a 3 year deal - don't say it's because it's all Ron  offered - he could've taken a sabbatical and then made a deal at any of the top teams again next year if he needed some R&R so much. 
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Scott

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2015, 09:04:20 PM »
Blah blah blah...and then Massa came to the mic.  I think Massa has even less insight into Alonso's thoughts, so this is even fluffier than the Piquet bit.  Maybe it's by the same reporter initially.

http://thisisf1.com/2015/05/01/alonso-could-quit-if-mclaren-honda-stagnates-massa/

Offline Irisado

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2015, 04:16:25 PM »
I don't buy any of this gossip.  Alonso knew that McLaren would not be competitive immediately, and so I don't think that he is contemplating retirement.  There hasn't been a great deal to talk about so far this season, so it seems to me that some people in the media are searching for a story.
Soņando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2015, 04:53:28 PM »
The McLaren-Honda has shown steady improvement every race so far. They should soon be solidly in the mid field. I think Alonso might have been disappointed at how far behind they were to start the season, but he should be pleased with the progress they have made. Why would he endure the bad times then retire when the car should be coming good?
Lonny

Offline Scott

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2015, 09:54:04 PM »
Why would he endure the bad times then retire when the car should be coming good?

Hard habit to break...it's kind of what he does  ;) :D

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle