collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 425
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11275 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: VW Audi has no plans to join F1  (Read 4908 times)

Offline cosworth151

Re: VW Audi has no plans to join F1
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2015, 12:33:28 PM »
How many people in the world would recognize the name LeMans and know it was a car race. How many would know that about Austin, Baku, Budapest, Sakhir, Sepang, Shanghai, Sochi, Yas Marina.....

F1 TV ratings are dropping like a rock. So is race attendance. Bernie & the FIA are rapidly running the sport into the ground.

I'm sure the FIA will continue to do everything they can to destroy endurance racing, too. But until then, the technology in LMP1 cars is still far superior to current F1. After all, they can race for 24 hours at a time. Current F1 cars often can't even make it to the starting line.

BTW, if one were to show a list of the F1 venues listed above with Indy added to any average non-race fan (or even a race fan who doesn't follow F1) and ask then which ones host a major race, what city do you honestly think would be picked the most? How many of the others would most people even know host a race at all?
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2015, 01:10:54 PM »
A lot of people may well know the names of both Le Mans and Indy 500, but that doesn't mean they are interested or even influenced in the slightest by them.  :nono:  Both these historically famous racing names hardly make a ripple in the media - unless of course something disastrous takes place at either event. :( 

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2015, 01:23:30 PM »
A lot of people may well know the names of both Le Mans and Indy 500

Whereas almost no non racing fans have ever even heard of F1.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2015, 03:10:31 PM »
A lot of people may well know the names of both Le Mans and Indy 500

Whereas almost no non racing fans have ever even heard of F1.

I think that most people understand that 'Grand Prix' means auto racing.  I also think that while most people wouldn't name Formula One when asked to name a racing series, I do think that if you asked what Formula One was, they would guess race cars.

The main attraction to F1 for the casual observer has long been Ferrari.  People know that Ferraris are luxury sports cars, and that they're also open wheel race cars.  Show someone a red open wheeler, and you're going to get more recognition than just about any other sporting brand.

Offline Monty

« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2015, 08:26:48 AM »
I think you are underestimating 'people'. I think most people in 'old continent' Europe know what F1 is, and in my experience a lot of people in North America know what F1 is. The problem is that they don't care about F1. In fact many are hostile towards it. None of this is surprising because the sport has done nothing to attract new fans, it has done nothing to attract families, it has done nothing to attract young people and it is doing everything possible to push away nutters like us.
The drivers are anonymous and unapproachable, most of the sponsors are grey corporates that have no relevance to 'people', the TV coverage is mostly unattainable unless you pay and then the races are boring and hard to follow (the few casual watchers that I know all complain that they have no idea who is winning once the pit stops start!).
Other than these few points, F1 has got everything just right and you can fully understand why VAG might join!

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2015, 12:26:49 PM »
My experience has been that most people over here think F1 is IndyCar. In fact, the only time in the past several decades I can remember it getting any coverage in the popular press was when they raced at Indy.
― Bob Dylan

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2015, 03:21:42 PM »
My experience has been that most people over here think F1 is IndyCar. In fact, the only time in the past several decades I can remember it getting any coverage in the popular press was when they raced at Indy.

That is true.  To causal fans openwheel racing is openwheel racing.  Just like a casual football (gridiron) fan isn't going to know if they're watching NFL, CFL or college.  Or a casual football (soccer) fan has no idea what game they're watching means (league play, regional qualifier, friendly...).

I would love for IndyCar to work with the FIA/FOM as a cost savings measure.  Indy should remain independent of the FIA/FOM, of course, but if they were to run the same formula, we could see more variety in IndyCar as they purchase chassis from F1 teams who don't much return on their R&D costs since they cannot have customers.  (Yes, I'm aware that the FIA/FOM doesn't play nice with others.  A girl can dream, right?)

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle