collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 500
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11274 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Gran Premio de España  (Read 9446 times)

Offline cosworth151

Re: Gran Premio de España
« Reply #30 on: May 11, 2015, 12:54:53 PM »
I was surprised to see how loosing one entire rear wing endplate didn't seem to effect the performance of Maldonado's Lotus. The rear facing on board camera showed the wing to be absolutely stable. Handling didn't seem to be effected, either. I'm sure the aero crews at Lotus (and probably several others) are giving that a hard look today.

I, too, wonder "what if" about Hamilton's extra pit stop, and also the problems with one rear wheel on that stop.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Monty

« Reply #31 on: May 11, 2015, 01:17:12 PM »
What a terrible race, totally boring.
The only hope was to see Hamilton attack Rosberg but his awful start and botched pit stop made sure that we didn't even get that spectacle. Hamilton was clearly quicker than Rosberg in race trim but even if he had a better start or if they hadn't messed up the pit stop he could have caught Niko but I doubt he could have overtaken him.
Although beautiful, the Barcelona track has always resulted in boring races because it is almost impossible to overtake when the cars are evenly matched. Hamilton was so much faster than Vettel but he just could not get in a position to overtake. The only overtaking occurred when a car on good tyres caught a car on knackered tyres.

The less said about McLaren the better!
« Last Edit: May 11, 2015, 01:19:30 PM by monty »

Offline Scott

« Reply #32 on: May 11, 2015, 01:30:49 PM »
I was surprised to see how loosing one entire rear wing endplate didn't seem to effect the performance of Maldonado's Lotus. The rear facing on board camera showed the wing to be absolutely stable. Handling didn't seem to be effected, either. I'm sure the aero crews at Lotus (and probably several others) are giving that a hard look today.

Yeah, that was quite something...I was surprised the pit guy just ripped off the bent upright.  I also wondered if the DRS would still work, but it seemed to be just fine.  I guess it is controlled by the middle upright.  Maybe they'll go back to centre post wings  ;)
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #33 on: May 12, 2015, 03:07:47 AM »
I read an article in Road & Track a loong time ago about how to "read" a track. The most important turn on any track is the one leading on to the longest straight; The last turn at Barcelona. I suspect Lewis was running more down force than Seb. But Vettel was clearly quicker exiting the chicane and through the last turn. He was always able to pull a gap on Lewis so that the DRS wasn't enough to get Lewis by. Got the most important turn right.
Lonny

Offline Monty

« Reply #34 on: May 12, 2015, 08:38:37 AM »
To overtake on a straight you need to exit the corner before the straight quicker than the guy you want to overtake. Another good overtaking chance is in a heavy breaking point before a tight corner. Both of these strategies are more difficult if the aero is disturbed by the car in front. Generally the way to avoid this is to use a different line (approaching the corner or in the braking zone) but at Barcelona there is only one line. Therefore, at the corner before the straight the following cars were understeering and dropping away from the car they were trying to overtake and even with DRS they could only catch up with the car in front to have exactly the same thing happen to them when braking for the corner at the end of the straight.

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #35 on: May 12, 2015, 12:10:37 PM »
I think another complicating factor is strategic use of the ERS power when defending, the commentators made much of this when Bottas was holding Kimi back. Lewis needed to try and force Seb to use his electrical energy at other points in the lap. 

However at Barcelona the car in front has no need to go ultra defensive at most places round the lap as there is really only one line as has been said by Monty.

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Irisado

« Reply #36 on: May 12, 2015, 02:57:32 PM »
Fue tan aburrido que casi me acosté delante del televisor.

That was so tedious that I still can't quite believe it.  I was expecting a procession, but when the only things that made the race at all notable were dangerous incidents in the pit lane, then it's clear that the race was very poor.

I'm not surprised that Rosberg won, once Hamilton had fluffed his start; indeed after the start, precious little happened for the entire distance.  I hope that Monaco provides more entertainment and tension.
Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline Monty

« Reply #37 on: May 12, 2015, 03:50:35 PM »
Hamilton had fluffed his start
Just trying to be completely fair, Hamilton didn't fluff his start. The on-board clutch bite program failed.

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #38 on: May 12, 2015, 04:12:06 PM »
Just trying to be completely fair, Hamilton didn't fluff his start. The on-board clutch bite program failed.

There is something so wrong about that. You should be responsible for your own start.
Lonny

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #39 on: May 12, 2015, 07:02:43 PM »

There is something so wrong about that. You should be responsible for your own start.

Win as a team, lose as a team.  We've seen that truly every member has to be spot on, from the guy attaching the wheels, calling the tire change, all the way to the guy working the steering wheel.  One bad moment by any of them, and three weeks of prep goes no where.

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #40 on: May 12, 2015, 11:04:06 PM »
All that should be necessary is to let out the clutch.
Lonny

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #41 on: May 13, 2015, 09:38:27 AM »

Yes but which one Lonny?   :D

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #42 on: May 13, 2015, 12:46:10 PM »
Remember, the driver doesn't determine how the clutch engages. The software does that now. F1 design today is more Rube Goldberg than it is Colin Chapman.

I've also read that Alonso's brake trouble was cause by a helmet visor tear off that lodged in a brake cooling duct. Ah, the marvels of these high tech regenerative brake by wire systems!

http://www.gpupdate.net/en/f1-news/325426/visor-tear-off-caused-alonso-s-retirement/
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Irisado

« Reply #43 on: May 13, 2015, 01:12:14 PM »

True.  I still remember reading reports from when drivers used to have to get the cars off the line themselves, and so phrases like that stick in my mind.
Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #44 on: May 13, 2015, 04:54:17 PM »

Yes but which one Lonny?   :D

Exactly. And the problem in a nutshell.
Lonny

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle