collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 477
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11275 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Button was afraid driving the Mclaren  (Read 3472 times)

Offline Scott

Button was afraid driving the Mclaren
« on: May 11, 2015, 09:29:08 AM »
I heard a couple of radio calls when he seemed rather distressed about wheel spin, but didn't realize it was that bad.  Alonso's loss of brakes was a scary moment, but more so for his pit crew.

The comment about not expecting to score points this season was perhaps not so ingenious for the marketing boys, and not typical Jenson behaviour, I'm a little surprised he let that nugget slip in a moment of frustration.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/formula1/32684346

The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Alianora La Canta

Re: Button was afraid driving the Mclaren
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2015, 10:19:36 AM »
I don't see Jenson in F1 next year. If the car is scaring you (and Alonso's brake problems at what isn't an especially brake-heavy circuit indicate he had cause) then it is very difficult to race at your best.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline Scott

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2015, 10:42:11 AM »
Jenson's distress wasn't about brakes, but rear wheelspin.  I agree with you though, that Button won't be in F1 except maybe as a pundit or some non-driver role at McLaren.

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2015, 12:38:58 PM »
After Alonso's problem, I'd bet that Button was concerned about his brakes, too. I never would have imagined McLaren being such a total mess.

Since it looks more and more like Bottas will go to Marinello next season, I'd love to see Button in a competitive Williams.  :good:

“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Scott

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2015, 01:21:09 PM »
It didn't sound that way...Button's only problem seemed to be that he couldn't control the wheelspin.  I'm sure he lost a ton of time if he had to be so delicate out of every corner.

Offline F1fanaticBD

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2015, 04:02:20 PM »
Perhaps its time for Button to move on to endurance race, as I can't see him filling any of the top teams, and dragging this pile junk called McLaren will only increase his GP tally and nothing more.
Keep running the fast cars, you will be never out of girls

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2015, 02:43:08 AM »
Button said on the radio that any application of the throttle caused wheelspin. Steve Matchett reckoned that Honda's software may not have a smooth power curve as they turn it up.
Lonny

Offline Irisado

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2015, 03:02:13 PM »
Alonso's problem turned out to be a visor tear-off stuck in his brake duct, so that wasn't anyone's fault, he was very unlucky.

As for Button.  He didn't sound scared to me, if he had been scared he'd have parked the car in the pits ā la Damon Hill in 1999.  He sounded very uncomfortable, but that's a degree or two below being scared.
Soņando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2015, 10:54:26 AM »

As for Button.  He didn't sound scared to me, if he had been scared he'd have parked the car in the pits ā la Damon Hill in 1999.  He sounded very uncomfortable, but that's a degree or two below being scared.

Yeah I'd agree with that Irisado. I'm pretty sure Jens referred to his ride in the Honda beast as scary, a far cry from actually being scared - or from needing to retire.  ::) 
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Steve A.

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2015, 10:15:30 PM »
I agree with the previous post, Button was concerned about the cars reaction to the throttle rather than scared. I do doubt he will be on the grid next year, not in a car anyway, more likely presenting for Sky or the BBC. I hope he is there in a competitive car, even another year with Mclaren, although that's probably less likely than him staying in F1.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2015, 10:18:49 PM by DH1.F1 »

Offline Steve A.

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2015, 08:37:56 AM »
I really hope Buttons car is much improved for this weekend,  and he gets a chance at a race without problems. Fingers crossed for both cars pushing for Q3

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2015, 07:02:39 PM »
Well... ...something worked on the McLaren. Jenson scored some points!
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle