collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 504
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11274 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Refueling return?  (Read 6850 times)

Offline J.Clark

Life is short - live each day to the fullest.

Offline Scott

Re: Refueling return?
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2015, 04:42:28 PM »
 :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:

Pit stops are WAY too fast and have too little effect on strategy.  I also don't like any restrictions on fuel, whether it is fuel flow restrictions or fuel tank restrictions.  Fuel = Speed after all.  Bring back refuelling!   :good: :good:
« Last Edit: May 15, 2015, 04:45:00 PM by Scott »
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2015, 05:22:42 PM »
I'm all for it! I also agree with Scott about the fuel limits. Leave that for the undercard racing events.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Scott

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2015, 08:51:58 PM »
Sadly, the FIA have put a damper on the excitement of refuelling:

'The FIA said a "maximum race fuel allowance" would be retained. A spokesman said there had been "no agreement to change" the current 100kg limit but added: "This could evolve." However, he added that the maximum fuel-flow rate of 100kg per hour would stay.'

A rule permitting the teams to choose their own tire variations for each race was pushed through even though Pirelli had reservations about the plan.

And tucked in among the details is the report that the teams have rejected the chance for teams to use 5 engines this season up from 4.  This little nugget means we will most likely hear from Dieter, Marko and Mr. Horner on wishy-washy threats to leave the sport.  Some reports have the Audi-Sport chief now suggesting F1 is on the horizon for the company, so Dieter may actually have a way out.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/formula1/32751118
« Last Edit: May 15, 2015, 08:57:09 PM by Scott »

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2015, 09:33:47 PM »
And tucked in among the details is the report that the teams have rejected the chance for teams to use 5 engines this season up from 4.  This little nugget means we will most likely hear from Dieter, Marko and Mr. Horner on wishy-washy threats to leave the sport.  Some reports have the Audi-Sport chief now suggesting F1 is on the horizon for the company, so Dieter may actually have a way out.

From Autosport:

"Whether it's five or eight engines, it doesn't make a difference to us," Horner said at the time. "It's inevitable we are going to have to take eight, up to nine engines this season."

That could be the engine savings that everyone said would come with the V6. Buy in bulk & save!!!!
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2015, 09:32:36 AM »

That could be the engine savings that everyone said would come with the V6. Buy in bulk & save!!!!

That's a tad unfair Cossie, only Renault are having such extreme problems, Merc cars have made it through to Spain on only on engine - and I believe Ferrari teams have pretty much done the same. Honda can't be counted in the equation as they are playing catch up this season.

Now if two of the three can keep reliability on track to cut the number of engines in the season I'd say the other one, Renault, has simply fouled up - not the regulations.

On the subject of in race refuelling; in principle sounds fine but if they are going to aim for the 4 second stops they currently have, and that's what they say they're aiming for, it will require even more expensive equipment to dispense it.

I prefer a slower refuel delivery so that it's not certain all cars will then take that option, gives yet another twist to the race strategy. 
« Last Edit: May 16, 2015, 09:39:19 AM by John S »
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Scott

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2015, 09:57:17 AM »
No John, the problem is the new rules that go along with the new formula.  The fact that an engine manufacturer can't go back to the drawing board and build a new engine...they have to be guided by these silly 'tokens' and only make tweaks to the one they have.  So if you built a lump to begin with like Renault did, they have no way out.  That is what is not fair.

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2015, 08:19:50 PM »
No John, the problem is the new rules that go along with the new formula.  The fact that an engine manufacturer can't go back to the drawing board and build a new engine...they have to be guided by these silly 'tokens' and only make tweaks to the one they have.  So if you built a lump to begin with like Renault did, they have no way out.  That is what is not fair.

Where do the rules say you can't develop a new engine?  :confused:  You can start from scratch as long as the resulting changes don't exceed the tokens.

A lot of the engine, or power unit as they like to call it, would be mostly the same even if you began again from scratch surely? Certain elements are pretty common across all the manufacturers aren't they?  :DntKnw:   

They wouldn't be able to develop it in season if they had used all the tokens, but then is that any worse than tinkering with a resuscitated corpse like they are now.   

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2015, 05:03:04 AM »
Unlike Cossie, I don't loath and despise turbos. My Subie has more power from less displacement with better fuel economy than the Ford it replaced. I fail to see how that can be a bad thing. The problem is not with the current crop of power units, but with the ridiculous rules about RPM limits, fuel flow and volume restrictions and limits on how many you can use. This is not the Mobil Economy Run, or durability testing. IT'S RACING. Why the FIA seems not to understand that escapes me. Todt was a racer for God's sake. F1 will continue to slide until they are once again the fastest, most powerful cars on the track.

:fool: :fool: :fool:
Lonny

Offline Scott

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2015, 08:03:23 AM »
The old formula didn't have 'tokens', and it wasn't so long ago that teams could develop the engines any way they wanted as long as cylinder numbers and displacement remained.

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2015, 04:56:39 PM »
Felipe Massa supports the re-introduction of refuelling in Formula 1.  :o   
Maybe he liked all the attention he got - and still does - from towing 10 metres of hose the full length of the pitlane.  :DD

Massa told Sky Sports, “I don’t think it’s a problem for safety. We had many years with refuelling in Formula 1 and we had a few problems, but not really very dangerous problems to be honest.”

The Brazilian explained, “I think it’s a good thing and [will] change completely the race. The problem now is that we will race with very heavy cars with the full tank and the lap times, if you compare qualifying and the race, it’s a big difference.”

“It’s a lot slower compared to how it was with the refuelling. I’m sure the race will be more interesting and nicer for the driving – more sprint racing. So I like the refuelling and I am in favour.”

Courtesy Grandprix247.com, Today.

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2015, 02:18:00 PM »
Steve Matchett brought up another point. During NBCSN's coverage of FP2, he said that it would cost teams about one half million dollars. That would include the cost and maintenance of the rigs, plus the cost of shipping them to all of the races. No good in this day of small teams going bankrupt.
― Bob Dylan

Online Jericoke

« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2015, 03:06:51 PM »
I can't say I miss refueling.

Given the number of close calls leading up to the ban, I'm glad they didn't wait for an actual disaster before stopping it.

I still don't like the fuel limits though.  The costs of carrying extra fuel weight don't change regardless of the rules.  If teams want the car to run heavy longer to save fuel for the end, then let them.

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2015, 09:22:56 AM »
All the teams are now against refuelling, according to Andrew Benson on the BBCF1 website.
Looks very much like it ain't gonna happen then.   

None of the teams are in favour of refuelling, which was banned on grounds of cost, safety and because it reduced the amount of on-track overtaking.

Further talks this week have revealed major opposition, with teams concerned about the costs.

A meeting of sporting directors in Monaco on Friday concluded that refuelling would add about a million euros to each team's annual budget. Several smaller teams are struggling to make ends meet at the moment.

The teams are to do further analysis on the effects re-introducing refuelling would have on the racing. The findings will be presented at a meeting at the next race in Canada on 5-7 June.

Statistics show that the years during the refuelling era of 1994-2009 produced consistently the lowest number of overtaking manoeuvres on track per race of any year since 1980.

Edited from a longer piece by Andrew Benson, BBC.co.uk, Sat 24th May.

Offline Steve A.

« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2015, 09:34:32 AM »
Well that's a shame as far as I'm concerned,  I would have liked it back.  Lighter cars at the start, less wear on the tyres and I think better racing right from the start.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle