collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 504
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11274 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: The Return of Customer Cars  (Read 8183 times)

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
Re: The Return of Customer Cars
« Reply #30 on: June 09, 2015, 01:24:09 PM »

Let Boeing or Bombardier supply a chassis to someone willing to run it.  They have no interest in running an F1 team, but that would be a great halo project for a team of engineers, and would be more meaningful than just slapping their name on the side of a Williams.

I think by requiring F1 cars to be designed by full time F1 designers is limiting innovation.

They can already if they so choose Jeri.  :confused:  They can only supply one team though.

No where in the FIA rules does it say that a chassis must be designed by a full time F1 designer, :nono: I'm sure some of the bought in chassis from Dallara, et al, over the years have not been penned by traditional full time F1 people.   

The problem is more about performance, it just makes more sense to have people dedicated to an F1 project as the discipline is complicated by tight and changeable tech regs plus the extreme speed of development by rivals.

Innovations a plenty have come from smaller F1 teams, not only from the designers but other parts of the teams as well. However third parties and subcontractors have little motivation to push far beyond the spec they are set - who would pay for any flights of fancy like the ones F1 teams take on a regular basis?

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #31 on: June 13, 2015, 02:57:04 AM »
Remember when the grid at Indy had McLarens, Lotus', Eagles, Watsons, Lolas, Lightnings, Penskes, well you get the idea. But when the Penske didn't perform, Roger bought Marches, when the latest Eagles didn't perform, teams went elsewhere, along with the money for the next generation. Now we have a spec series.  :'(
Lonny

Offline Scott

« Reply #32 on: June 13, 2015, 12:53:54 PM »
Lonny, that's the best argument I've heard yet to support customer cars.  If Renault comes in with a sick engine, or Mclaren comes in with a poorly designed car, they can right away buy what they need from someone else and still compete for points. 
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #33 on: June 14, 2015, 12:13:04 PM »
Lonny, that's the best argument I've heard yet to support customer cars.  If Renault comes in with a sick engine, or Mclaren comes in with a poorly designed car, they can right away buy what they need from someone else and still compete for points.

Trouble with that scenario Scott, IMHO, is that Renault and any other engine maker who falls behind (or chassis supplier a year or two down the line) definitely would have to pack their bags and leave, no customers means no business.

Now how many OEM's leaving does it require before F1 ends up with one engine and probably at best 2 or 3 chassis builders? Spec series by anyone's standards.

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #34 on: June 14, 2015, 03:18:19 PM »
That's the point I was trying to make John. No business, no next gen.
Lonny

Offline Irisado

« Reply #35 on: June 16, 2015, 10:11:31 PM »
I'm proposing a scenario where each team must have a unique chassis.  I like that aspect of the sport (though quite frankly I think unique engines would be even better).  Just that they don't have to have in house expertise to do it.

Okay, so each customer chassis could only be supplied to one team?  Fair enough, however, it hasn't worked for a great many years now.  The outsourcing of chassis design away from the Formula 1 team tends to result in indifferent or poor chassis designs.  Let's take a look at some examples:

Fomet1: Designed chassis externally for the old Osella team after it was taken over by the late Gabriele Rumi's Fondmetal organisation at the start of 1991.  The chassis rarely performed well, and the car failed to get onto the grid for more than half the races.  Fondmetal abandoned this route of chassis design and moved everything in house for 1992, producing a much better car (in terms of performance) as a result.

Lola: Produced chassis for Larrousse from 1987-1991 and for Scuderia Italia in 1993.  The 1990 chassis was very good, but otherwise the chassis ranged from mediocre to very poor.

Dallara: Produced chassis for Scuderia Italia from 1988-1992, and for Hispania in 2010.  Their record was pretty much the same as Lola's.

Reynard: Their aborted F1 chassis ended up being used by Pacific in 1994, and was atrocious.  Pacific's management were aghast at just how bad it was, and couldn't wait to get rid of it come the end of the season.

Looking at these independent chassis designers, it seems to me that while they had some good results at times, the majority of teams produced superior cars when they designed them in house, so why try to reinvent the wheel?
Soņando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #36 on: June 16, 2015, 10:36:30 PM »
I was always puzzled by the Reynard fiasco. They were very good in every other open wheel class they tried.
Lonny

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #37 on: June 19, 2015, 06:24:40 PM »

Let Boeing or Bombardier supply a chassis to someone willing to run it.  They have no interest in running an F1 team, but that would be a great halo project for a team of engineers, and would be more meaningful than just slapping their name on the side of a Williams.

I think by requiring F1 cars to be designed by full time F1 designers is limiting innovation.

They can already if they so choose Jeri.  :confused:  They can only supply one team though.

Technically one company could supply every chassis on the grid, provided all their R&D teams were demonstrably separate and a different holding company owned the intellectual property rights for each chassis.

They don't, because it doesn't pay anyone to try that.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle