collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 122
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16178 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
13016 Posts
John S John S
11293 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Its all going to change!  (Read 3951 times)

Offline Andy B

Its all going to change!
« on: May 16, 2015, 05:32:16 AM »
The Formula 1 Strategy Group has unveiled plans that will result in what it hopes will be "faster cars and thrilling races".

It is all part of the overall aim to improve the show to counter constant criticism from fans and halt a declining audience in certain markets, both in the grandstands and in front of television screens.

To that end a number of proposals were voted through by the Strategy Group to be reviewed by the F1 Commission, and then the World Motor Sport Council.

AUTOSPORT looks at the Strategy Group's ideas, providing additional insight into what could be to come.

TYRES from 2016

Teams have requested to have their own free choice of two dry Pirelli compounds from the four currently available per race.

It has been stressed this would be within a strong safety framework from the manufacturer. For argument's sake no team could choose the super-soft tyre at a high-speed circuit such as Monza.

From 2017.
FASTER CARS

How? Cars are to be made 30kg to 50kg lighter, but not with a consequence that drivers would be required to lose weight, nor would special lightweight materials be allowed that would increase costs.

Areas of the car, such as the gearbox and electronics, would be reviewed as places from which weight could be stripped.

REFUELLING

The aim here is to conduct pitstops - tyres and fuel on board - within the same timeframe as currently exists for present tyre-only stops of around three seconds.

Costs are naturally a concern and to be fully explored before this can be ratified.

HIGHER REVVING ENGINES

Cars would revert to a six-speed gearbox, which would increase the revs, and in turn increase speed, hitting those targets of laps designed to be five to six seconds quicker.

A six-speed 'box would also be lighter, too.

INCREASED NOISE

The Power Unit Working Group is to work on changing the tail-pipe architecture, as well as assessing the way in which the wastegate is being used in order to increase sound.

It has been stressed there will be no gimmicks, but a technical solution.

AGGRESSIVE LOOKS

There would be an increase in the rear tyre width, from 360mm to 420mm, which would increase grip, and again aid the increase in speed.

In addition to this the width of the cars would also be increased to two metres with wider front and rear wings, and double end plates.

FEWER DRIVER AIDS

The launch at the start of a grand prix is currently conducted via programmed software. More often than not a poor driver start stems from the like of a calibration issue in the wake of the installation lap.

Under new rules drivers would start by using their own clutch.

POWER UNITS

There was no appetite among the engine manufacturers to change the current power unit architecture as this would trigger significant redevelopment costs.

Once you have retired every day is a Saturday!

Offline lkjohnson1950

Re: Its all going to change!
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2015, 06:51:37 AM »
The working group also discussed methods by which donkeys could be made to fly.
Lonny

Offline Scott

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2015, 10:53:02 AM »
The working group also discussed methods by which donkeys could be made to fly.

:DD :DD :DD :DD

I like:

Teams choose own tires

Refuelling, but only if it is combined with ditching maximum fuel and fuel flow restrictions.

Higher revving engines, but only if it is combined with 10-12 engines per season instead of 4.

Fewer driver assists.  Love to ditch launch control and watch to see who struggles off the line.

I don't like:

Faster cars by reducing weight.  I would rather see the minimum weight increased to make more robust cars that don't break as easily.  Suggesting to take weight out of gearboxes which are already restricted, and electronics which probably weigh half a kilo to begin with is just stupid.

Increased noise - waste of money.  The exhaust should be modified only to add to hp, not make noise.

Aggressive look - if it has practical use, fine, if it is just for looks, ditch it.

The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2015, 02:32:36 PM »
Higher revving engines, when the poor wee things are way overstressed as it is? So they will blow up before they even make it out of the pits?

Increased noise? Easily done in a way that will both help the engine problems and add to the fig leaf of being "green." Recycle the engine-cooking turbochargers into beer cans.

The cars could easily be made lighter by scrapping the old-tech battery ERG systems for the flywheel and/or capacitor based systems used in endurance racing. BTW, the flywheel system used in that system was developed by Williams. I guess it was just too high-tech for F1.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Steve A.

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2015, 09:35:49 PM »
I would look forward to the refueling it adds another variable to the race, a bit predictable at the moment. Free choice of tyres will mix it up as well, even better if we can have two manufacturers again. As long as development is not aimed at one team.
As far as driver aids, give them gear boxes and a gear stick and let's see the drivers handle the cars when they are controlling and not a computer. Ok I know hardy the pinnacl,  but would lead to some interesting races
« Last Edit: May 16, 2015, 09:44:37 PM by DH1.F1 »

Offline Scott

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2015, 09:40:58 PM »
Simply by prolonging the pit stops, it will bring a bit more to the strategy game (which I kinda like).  But sadly they aren't opening up all the fuel regs, the flow and max fuel allowed will remain.

As for tires, I agree.  They would need to ensure that at it is closer to 5/10 teams for each supplier rather than only one or two teams for one.

By the way, welcome DH1.F1  Not sure if you have introduced yourself on another thread, but welcome to GPW.  Have a look around and make yourself comfortable.  It's a great community.

Offline F1fanaticBD

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2015, 04:48:18 AM »
Among all the proposed big changes in the coming years, there is one big concern off not addressing the issue of aero changes, which I believe is one of the many reasons that the racing is not that exciting and close as it used to be. There have been arguments that it will slower the car if aero changes are being in implemented, but when they force team to adapt into fuel restrictions, newer formula for engines, they somehow push the oblivion button so easly.
Keep running the fast cars, you will be never out of girls

Offline Scott

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2015, 08:07:04 AM »
Lonny brought up a good point in another thread that if they brought back ground effects, they could cut out a ton of the upper body aero and then cars could get close to each other and maybe even (shudder) draft to pass instead of DRS.

Offline Steve A.

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2015, 10:18:56 AM »
Didn't they ban ground effect because the cars were going too fast, as far as I can remember anyway. And now they are looking for more and more speed. AAs an older F1 fan I would love to see it back and would love to see drivers have FULL control of the cars

Offline Scott

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2015, 11:44:20 AM »
Didn't they ban ground effect because the cars were going too fast, as far as I can remember anyway. And now they are looking for more and more speed. AAs an older F1 fan I would love to see it back and would love to see drivers have FULL control of the cars

As I recall, the biggest drawback to ground effects was that when the cars lost suction, the crashes were catastrophic.  But that was also on the older tracks.  There is far more safety now.

Offline J.Clark

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2015, 09:56:21 PM »
HIGHER REVVING ENGINES
Cars would revert to a six-speed gearbox, which would increase the revs, and in turn increase speed, hitting those targets of laps designed to be five to six seconds quicker.
I am sorry, but perhaps I understand nothing in this comment.
A six-speed gear box will not in and of itself increase revs.
Less gears will not increase speed (my opinion) as it will slow acceleration to top speed.
And, unless they plan on adding di-lythium crystals, thus allowing a jump to light-speed, how any of that would cut lap times by five to six seconds is way beyond my comprehension.
Life is short - live each day to the fullest.

Offline Monty

« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2015, 08:58:11 AM »
I am now even more convinced these people have no idea what they are doing. As far as I can see there has been no consideration of improving the racing / overtaking.
They actually think that it is OK for a race to be decided on pit stops!
Of course I am happy if they can make the cars faster and sound better but if the races are still processions with the results only changing if someone makes a mistake in the pits how can that improve the spectacle?
Other series are rapidly becoming more entertaining that F1.
I am a real fan of BTCC. Three races in a day with a fantastic line up of support races. Thirty cars in a race and there is overtaking throughout the whole field in every race. The combination of the best drivers in the cars with the best set up win and this can change from circuit to circuit. In short it is motor racing .

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2015, 04:02:23 PM »
It's difficult for the Strategy Group to come up with a useful strategy when there has been no agreement among the powers-that-be concerning what aim it would support.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle