collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 360
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 3
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11253 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: The GPDA Wants YOUR Opinion of F1!  (Read 9919 times)

Offline Steve A.

Re: The GPDA Wants YOUR Opinion of F1!
« Reply #30 on: July 06, 2015, 11:26:12 PM »
The survey said that 70% of fans wanted refuelling,  today the team bosses decided not to reintroduce refueling. I think the survey was a bit irrelevant but it looks like it was pointless.

Which calls into question the historical knowledge of some of the people who responded in my view.  Refuelling didn't 'spice up the show' in any way.  All it did do was create overtaking in the pits, which was not very inspiring.  It's not something that should return.

Maybe it's not a problem with historical knowledge,  some may or may not be aware of the amount of overtaking,  yet still prefer refuelling to return.  It did allow passing, maybe not on track, but passing none the less. I would prefer that to the Mercedes procession that we currently have, Brit GP excepted.
I agree it is up to the drivers,  after all they are the ones sitting on the car while it all goes on. But as has already been said historically there have been no serious incidents.
I remain firmly in the bring it back camp.

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #31 on: July 07, 2015, 02:43:26 AM »
What made F1's system more dangerous was that it was pressurized to load the fuel faster. Indy car used a similar system until they had a couple of very scary moments, then they changed to a gravity fed one. Allowing gravity fed refueling would add quite a strategy choice: start light and make a very long pit stop or start heavy and make the 3 second variety. 
Lonny

Online Jericoke

« Reply #32 on: July 07, 2015, 03:03:56 PM »
I don't want the drivers to be more responsible for the race, in fact I would prefer if plenty of control was handed back to the pit wall.  I want the driver less distracted by the tech of the car and more concentrated on taking that wonderful tech to and sometimes over the limit.  Making them do math while driving the cars at speed is not why I watch F1.  I want them to manage their steering and pedal input into the car and leave the rest to the teams.  An F1 driver should be about raw skill and talent, not academics.

If passing is done by pit wall strategy then that nullifies the driver talent, doesn't it? 

Online cosworth151

« Reply #33 on: July 07, 2015, 03:32:43 PM »
The same thing could be said about car differences. How many WDC's would Schumi or Vettel have if they spent their career at a team like Minardi or Manor? If we want it to be strictly about driver talent, we need a spec racer series.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Steve A.

« Reply #34 on: July 07, 2015, 03:59:49 PM »
F1 is a team sport, I accept that the driver cannot do it all, he needs to drive the car. I would prefer any option to adjust the car from the pitwall removed.
The cars and fuel should allow for all out racing, the driver should not have to worry about calculating fuel. Bring refueling back, let the pitwall work out when he needs to come in, any adjustments should be made during a pit stop, safety excepted.

Offline Scott

« Reply #35 on: July 07, 2015, 04:38:36 PM »
If passing is done by pit wall strategy then that nullifies the driver talent, doesn't it?
You can have both, can't you?  Surely a talented driver can take a car managed by the pit wall and make a decent pass.  But on the other hand if a good call by the pit wall helps a driver get in a position to overtake, it's only win-win in my opinion.

F1 is a team sport, I accept that the driver cannot do it all, he needs to drive the car. I would prefer any option to adjust the car from the pitwall removed.
The cars and fuel should allow for all out racing, the driver should not have to worry about calculating fuel. Bring refueling back, let the pitwall work out when he needs to come in, any adjustments should be made during a pit stop, safety excepted.

When I said control, I don't mean remote control.  What I mean is hand back the ability for the team to advise the driver based on the telemetry they are reading.  The driver still has final say if he wants to use the setting the team is suggesting.  I want the team to be able to tell the driver to change a setting and exactly what setting he should change it to, not just tell the driver that his brakes are overheating or he is using too much fuel.  I don't want the driver making mental calculations beyond apex angle and throttle control.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Online Jericoke

« Reply #36 on: July 07, 2015, 08:05:53 PM »

I agree that F1 is a team sport, and I think that of all motorsports (aside series that have an actual team in the cars), it is the one where the team makes the biggest difference.  I am okay with that.  If races are won and lost by the right call on fuel, that's fine.

However, since 'the fans' want more reliance on the driver, refueling puts the reliance back on the team.

I think that the sport would be more exciting if the driver was 100% responsible for everything on race day.

I also think the sport would be more exciting if the teams were given another tool for determining strategy.

Trying to find a middle ground (i.e., relying on the drivers to do more and giving the pits more power) isn't going to make things better.

They need to decide if the sport is an individual sport, or a team sport, and then set the rules, marketing and strategy to match that.  Quite honestly, I don't think they could go wrong either way.  The danger would be trying to be both.

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #37 on: July 07, 2015, 09:26:14 PM »
It' difficult to justify not doing something on "it will reduce overtaking" when it seems there's virtually no overtaking at most races already. There's no point defending DRS passes unless it's your team-mate or your name is Nico Hulkenberg - it just slows you down and the inevitable happens anyway - so the DRS passes tend to be more like "car behind let through by car in front" moves. Plus it reduces the tendency to try anything else, since overtaking in a non-DRS zone in anything other than a massively superior car simlpy leads to freebie DRS pass by the other car and a net gain to that car in terms of remaining resource.

I'd estimate that Silverstone apart, the number of genuine overtakes in the other races this year has been 3. Refuelling-era races usually managed more than 3 overtakes, hence would be an improvement.

Fortunately for the anti-refuelling brigade, there are better reasons to oppose the sort of refuelling F1 wanted. Primarily safety-related.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #38 on: July 08, 2015, 02:05:05 AM »
Honestly, I don't think the driver should adjust anything except roll/sway bars and brake bias. The car should run the race without needing to adjust the fuel flow or timing or driving style. Give them enough fuel to race, send them off and let the pit wall boys twiddle their thumbs for an hour and a half.
Lonny

Online Jericoke

« Reply #39 on: July 08, 2015, 03:09:19 PM »
Honestly, I don't think the driver should adjust anything except roll/sway bars and brake bias. The car should run the race without needing to adjust the fuel flow or timing or driving style. Give them enough fuel to race, send them off and let the pit wall boys twiddle their thumbs for an hour and a half.

Would be  a great way to keep costs down too:  they could mandate a fixed number of personnel in the pit area.

I disagree about driving style though.  Obviously as the cars burn off fuel (until F1 switches to batteries) and the tires wear it will change how the cars handle, and how the drivers handle them.  Some will specialize in building an early lead, some will specialize in late phase overtakes.

Online cosworth151

« Reply #40 on: July 08, 2015, 03:44:27 PM »
Sounds like GP3.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Online cosworth151

« Reply #41 on: July 30, 2015, 12:07:52 PM »
― Bob Dylan

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle