collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 531
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11253 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Todd says alcohol ads can't be banned  (Read 5672 times)

Offline Scott

Todd says alcohol ads can't be banned
« on: May 29, 2015, 03:20:47 PM »
Really?  Cigarette ads were banned after 'it couldn't be done', so I suppose alcohol ads could be banned as well.  I don't think it has anything to do with drinking and driving.  I seriously doubt there is a viewer out there that thinks an F1 car with a Johnny Walker sticker means that he should tuck a mickey under his car seat full of the stuff.

There are already a handful of countries that don't allow it, and as a result the alcohol sponsors are removed from the cars as well as track ads.  Just a matter of whether or not alcohol sponsors want to follow if Bernie takes the circus to tracks where it isn't allowed.

http://www.pitpass.com/53972/Todt-It-is-not-possible-to-ban-alcohol
« Last Edit: May 29, 2015, 03:24:45 PM by Scott »

The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Ian

Re: Todd says alcohol ads can't be banned
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2015, 06:19:53 PM »
Of course they'll be banned Scott, once the pc lobby get onto it.
An aircraft landing is just a controlled crash.

Offline Dare

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2015, 07:41:01 PM »
The teams have  a hard enough time getting sponsor
without banning alcohol ads.But then I', sure Bernie would
pitch in and help
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline Steve A.

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2015, 09:09:32 PM »
It will eventually go, I don't think it will have quite the same impact as the tobacco ban. Another revenue stream lost. I feel for the teams, much hard work will be needed .

Offline Scott

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2015, 10:35:18 PM »
Once the sinful products go (cigarettes and alcohol), Coke & Pepsi (I can already picture the ad Coke vs Pepsi cars on the track), McDonalds and I understand Nike might be looking for a new sport to get into  ;) ;)

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2015, 09:07:01 AM »
Once the sinful products go (cigarettes and alcohol), Coke & Pepsi (I can already picture the ad Coke vs Pepsi cars on the track), McDonalds and I understand Nike might be looking for a new sport to get into  ;) ;)

The fast food and soft drinks companies are certainly under the spotlight as much or more than alcohol in Britain, Scott.
Obesity in kids and the population at large has become a hot topic in the last year or so.

Perhaps the EU should consider replacing the alcohol ads with their own, extolling the virtues of the EU to the whole world should only take a few words:-  'DO AS WE SAY'.  :D

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Ian

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2015, 10:04:52 AM »
John, you forgot to add the second line. 'NOT AS WE DO'  >:D

Offline Steve A.

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2015, 10:15:41 AM »
They can always go back to Durex, or would that make it a safety car.

Offline J.Clark

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2015, 01:39:47 PM »
 :yahoo:
Let's ban all sponsors that have products for consumption, as there are groups of people who are against them all for one reason or another.

While we are at it, let's consider banning computer and software companies too.  We all know how destructive video games and social media can be.

I still think that advertisements are simply trying to get people to buy/use whatever it is that you are selling.  The choice will always lie in the hands of the consumer.  I completely get the idea of not wanting to appear to promote things we know to be bad for people, but to make advertising them "illegal" is really not the best approach in my opinion.  In some ways, it almost advances the cause for what one is against - because it is forbidden, so-to-speak.
Life is short - live each day to the fullest.

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2015, 10:43:37 PM »
Todt can't ban alcohol sponsors, in fairness. Only governments can do that. They may very well do so, but I doubt it will be in the next 10 years (at least, not in a format that will stop F1 from having obvious alcohol sponsors).
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline Ian

« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2015, 11:31:24 PM »
What annoys me is the fact that they think these ad's will make us rush out and buy or use them like lemmings, I can only recall one ad that induced me to buy, it was for a Black and Decker Workmate(a portable work bench) it turned out well worth the money.

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2015, 01:08:55 AM »
They are proven to be effective in making people switch brands, though the statistics for whether they encourage people to take up drinking in the first place is much more ambiguous (I don't think there's been a good study on that particular point, and the bad ones that have happened have had multiple conclusions).
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2015, 05:39:41 PM »
I agree with Ali. Adverts for many types of products are aimed at brand loyalty. They realize that the customer base is limited and are just fighting on how it's sliced up. I'll be the first to admit that I drank my share of Foster's when they sponsored F1. Haven't had a can of it since they stopped.

Besides, there are always work-arounds. E-cigs are made to get around smoking bans. Now e-cig sponsorship is getting around sponsorship bans. Check out PR1/Mathiasen Motorsports' sponsor in IMSA's Prototype Challenge class.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2015, 05:41:23 PM by cosworth151 »
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Scott

« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2015, 06:48:30 PM »
I have a Spyder ski jacket.  I just love it.   :good: :good:

Offline Willy

« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2015, 06:58:51 PM »
Ian I have had a B&D Workmate for years...it very useful.

Banning alcohol adverts is just going to squeeze the lower teams more as they struggle for money. Companies as large as Diageo who have these very deep pockets and depend on ad's are going to just move their money and it will have no impact on the buying public. It will just penalize the F1 teams that depend on ad money to operate.
No matter what you personally feel about alcohol consumption it is not looked at the same as cigarette smoking.
As Jeri mentioned, no-one connects an ad for alcohol and an F1 car as an endorsement for drinking and driving.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle