collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 521
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11253 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Comparing Pitstops Across Motorsports  (Read 3271 times)

Offline Wizzo

Comparing Pitstops Across Motorsports
« on: June 24, 2015, 02:48:19 PM »
From Formula One to NASCAR to LMP Endurance racing, they all have pitstops and each are different.

"No Matter how little money and how few possessions, you own, having a dog makes you rich."

GPWizard F1 Forum https://www.gpwizard.co.uk
:wizard:
Wizzo

Offline F1fanaticBD

Re: Comparing Pitstops Across Motorsports
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2015, 06:53:59 PM »
I think in a way Pitstops portray the philisophy of each series, F1 has the most number of people to get the slightest advantage, Nascar keeping legacy of stock car racing, with it iconic refuelling cannisters, and Endurance race showing pit stop is also about endurance of the Pit Stop as well. Also shows F1 is as safe as sterile cotton with no refuelling, Nascar is safe with probably the easiest way to fuel a car, and Endurance being positively adventures about pitstops.
Keep running the fast cars, you will be never out of girls

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2015, 12:22:20 PM »
Also, IndyCar used a gravity feed fuel system. The fuel is feed from an elevated tank. F1 used to use a pump fed system.

Formula E's car swap is just bizarre.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2015, 02:31:05 PM »
Also, IndyCar used a gravity feed fuel system. The fuel is feed from an elevated tank. F1 used to use a pump fed system.

Formula E's car swap is just bizarre.

When I started watched the Indy 500 for the first time, I was surprised to see the cars had built in jacks.  It seemed so cool for the cars to pull into the pits, and just pop up.

When I started watching F1, I was surprised to see jackmen.  F1 was supposed to be high tech, but surely a self lifting car is way more high tech than two guys with a piece of steel bent to 90 degrees.

Obviously I understand the nuance now, but if F1 is serious about pit safety (see refueling ban), and given the number of jackmen being hit, maybe that's something else they can look into.  Levitating F1 cars!

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2015, 05:00:23 AM »
The jack system is heavy. F1 decided it was too heavy. A jackman adds no weight or complexity to the car. F1 is the only top level series that doesn't have built in jacks, (excepting NASCAR of course) but it also has by far the lightest cars.
Lonny

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2015, 09:57:58 AM »
I was more taken with the number of people involved in the stops, whilst F1 has by far the highest it's not vastly greater as the numbers given at the start of each vid section.

The figures stated are for personnel allowed over the wall, it takes no account of the people behind the wall still involved doing things or even moving onto & off the pit apron.

Once you tot up these others the totals involved in working on the cars is not as dissimilar as it appears from the figures. The main difference I see is the time it takes to achieve similar goals by restricting the number over the wall.

Nothing comes close to the speed and harmony of the F1 pit crews though.  ;)

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2015, 03:09:36 PM »
The jack system is heavy. F1 decided it was too heavy. A jackman adds no weight or complexity to the car. F1 is the only top level series that doesn't have built in jacks, (excepting NASCAR of course) but it also has by far the lightest cars.

Yes, I understand that.

I'm just suggesting that from a safety issue, maybe it's time to put jacks in an F1 car.  How many jackmen have been hit just this season?  Are we waiting for someone to be critically injured?

Or if we're going to keep the cars light, how about a static jack that drivers must hit their marks?  Put a little skill into those pit stops:  if a driver over shoots, it's a bit of a big deal to get the car where it needs to be without breaking anyone's legs.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle