collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 560
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11275 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Should there be penalties for when a car falls apart like Hulkenberg's?  (Read 15364 times)

Offline Scott

Re: Should there be penalties for when a car falls apart like Hulkenberg's?
« Reply #30 on: August 17, 2015, 10:53:31 AM »
Because they are many times more expensive than tractors.  The circuits aren't left with enough change from Bernie to afford cranes.  Plus Bernie probably doesn't want them spoiling the backdrop.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #31 on: August 17, 2015, 03:13:16 PM »
Because they are many times more expensive than tractors.  The circuits aren't left with enough change from Bernie to afford cranes.  Plus Bernie probably doesn't want them spoiling the backdrop.

You've been to the races... there are cranes everywhere.  They're just hooked up to TV cameras.  They could pull double duty.  Or even look into using the TV helicopters.  (I'm not really sure lifting an F1 car by helicopter is a good idea, but considering how deadly the truck solution has been, it can't be worse)

Offline Scott

« Reply #32 on: August 17, 2015, 05:19:34 PM »
I'm all for putting enough cranes for full coverage of the circuits, but I think the responsibility should fall under the FIA/FOM, not the struggling circuit promoters.

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #33 on: August 17, 2015, 06:36:13 PM »
Cranes might run afoul of overhead utility lines in the increasing number of street circuits.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #34 on: August 17, 2015, 08:02:54 PM »
Cranes might run afoul of overhead utility lines in the increasing number of street circuits.

If you can afford Bernie's fees, you can afford to bury your lines  ;)

Offline Steve A.

« Reply #35 on: August 17, 2015, 09:43:58 PM »
The 'cranes' used for the cameras at the races are just massive cherry pickers and can't loft an F1 car.

Offline Andy B

« Reply #36 on: August 18, 2015, 07:54:14 AM »
The 'cranes' used for the cameras at the races are just massive cherry pickers and can't loft an F1 car.

Quite right DH1 cherry pickers would not pick a car up and it would only be road circuits in built up areas that overhead wires would be an issue. I'm sure if they can get cranes into Monaco where there are many cranes then more could be placed in high profile areas on other circuits. If you had a crane company it could give you a bit of advertising too.

Cranes are not the whole answer and I doubt there is just a single answer and cost is obviously an issue but there was talk of vehicles dedicated to recovering race cars which may mean cranes are cheaper?

Helicopters would be a non runner due to their instability in some weather conditions, the down draft could cause accidents and the potential of crashing into the crowd killing hundreds!

I doubt this will be resolved anytime soon unfortunately!
Once you have retired every day is a Saturday!

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #37 on: August 19, 2015, 03:09:07 AM »
Nascar and Indy car do it right. A dedicated safety team with vehicles and equipment that travels to each event and a yellow flag and safety car to allow a tilt bed to collect the car.
Lonny

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #38 on: August 19, 2015, 10:26:07 AM »
Nascar and Indy car do it right. A dedicated safety team with vehicles and equipment that travels to each event and a yellow flag and safety car to allow a tilt bed to collect the car.

Slightly easier for them as they're mostly on the same land mass and can be road hauled each week, much harder to move a whole circus like that around the globe.

They'd probably need at least three sets of everything in F1, if not more, as ocean shipping times take much longer both in and out. Then of course there's the paperwork & safety checks some countries might insist on as they are commercial vehicles and will need to comply with every country's standards. 

I mean potentially they could be used for other purposes  ;)
- if Bernie gets the chance of a nice little earner on the side - what do we think?  :D     
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Scott

« Reply #39 on: August 19, 2015, 10:47:11 AM »
Considering they probably run the NASCAR season for the same price as an F1 race, you would think F1 could afford 3, 4 or even 5 professional safety teams with equipment and vehicles. 

I'm sure Bernie or the FIA holding up a race contract until the paperwork gets sorted out would streamline things.

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #40 on: August 19, 2015, 02:52:38 PM »
Considering they probably run the NASCAR season for the same price as an F1 race, you would think F1 could afford 3, 4 or even 5 professional safety teams with equipment and vehicles. 

I'm sure Bernie or the FIA holding up a race contract until the paperwork gets sorted out would streamline things.

Now is where we get into tricky international laws.

Can the FIA bring in their own people in place of 'hiring' locals?  I'm sure they could sort it out in the EU races (although from what I read about the EU... I wouldn't be surprised if they couldn't).

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #41 on: August 19, 2015, 11:34:08 PM »
The NHRA has done the same since the early 1950's with their outstanding Safety Safari crew.

We know that the top people, like Charlie Whiting and Dr. Roberts (The FIA Medical Delegate) stay the same at all races. I'm sure Bernie could get any crew he wanted written into the contracts for the races.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #42 on: August 20, 2015, 03:06:47 PM »
The NHRA has done the same since the early 1950's with their outstanding Safety Safari crew.

We know that the top people, like Charlie Whiting and Dr. Roberts (The FIA Medical Delegate) stay the same at all races. I'm sure Bernie could get any crew he wanted written into the contracts for the races.

Yes he could.  And no he wouldn't.  If (heaven forbid) someone on Bernie's crew screwed up, that would put Bernie on the hook for any legal fall out.  The FIA SHOULD take legal responsibility for the safety of everyone at the track.  I presume that the FOM contract and the FIA contract are separate documents (even though they go hand in hand).

Offline Ian

« Reply #43 on: August 20, 2015, 09:30:54 PM »
The FIA's disclaimer could the signs at every circuit warning people that motorsport can be dangerous.
An aircraft landing is just a controlled crash.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle