collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 322
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11275 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Mercedes offers F1 alternate solution to closed cockpits  (Read 5865 times)

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
Mercedes offers F1 alternate solution to closed cockpits
« on: August 26, 2015, 05:21:03 PM »
Enclosure debate back on after Justin Wilson's death.

Getting out of the car in a fire situation still troubles most efforts at fully enclosed cockpits, but could Merc's design offer much better protection from flying objects without restricting escape?

I personally hate the idea of closed cockpits, however all safety measures are a trade off and motorsport is inherently a very dangerous sport - doing nothing to offer better driver protection may no longer be an option for the rule makers.

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Jericoke

Re: Mercedes offers F1 alternate solution to closed cockpits
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2015, 05:54:18 PM »
Enclosure debate back on after Justin Wilson's death.

Getting out of the car in a fire situation still troubles most efforts at fully enclosed cockpits, but could Merc's design offer much better protection from flying objects without restricting escape?

I personally hate the idea of closed cockpits, however all safety measures are a trade off and motorsport is inherently a very dangerous sport - doing nothing to offer better driver protection may no longer be an option for the rule makers.

How many race cars have caught on fire necessitating a quick escape vs the number of drivers who have suffered head injuries?

I like the open cockpit concept, but it seems to me most of the recent drivers who have been severely injured, or killed, have been head injuries.  Wilson, Bianchi and Weldon were all head injuries.  Wolf retired from racing due to a head injury.  Massa certainly came close.  At Indy Hinchcliffe had a similar injury to Wilson and was simply lucky not to be in a second crash as Wilson was.  (Yes, Hinch is currently sidelined with a non head injury)

I say put the question to Jackie Stewart. If he believes that these are freak accidents inherent to the spectacle of open wheel racing, I would consider that the end of the debate.

A unanimous decision by the GPDA would be a close second.  I don't know if IndyCar has an equivalent to the GPDA, but if so, I would like to see them work together on what the drivers want.

Offline Steve A.

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2015, 07:43:19 PM »
There would be misting up problems as well, and rain would be another issue. No tear off strips when grime is thrown up. To name but a few, quite like the Mercedes idea, would depend on how much it impacted on vision.

Offline Scott

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2015, 07:57:36 PM »
It's an interesting concept.  It probably wouldn't have helped in Massa's accident, or at least if the spring went through one of the gaps, and it's questionable if it could possibly have the strength to have remained intact in Bianchi's, but if it was insanely strong (to lift tractors and prevent bits of catch fence or errant wheels from entering the helmet area) and part of a larger body capsule, it could certainly have benefit. 
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2015, 10:27:09 PM »
That, to me, offers the worst of all options: substantially restricting escape and not lending that much protection from flying foreign objects.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2015, 02:34:42 AM »
That, to me, offers the worst of all options: substantially restricting escape and not lending that much protection from flying foreign objects.

If it's anchored with the shoulder/head rest it should come out quite easily in an emergency.

Offline Steve A.

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2015, 06:20:49 PM »
It would have to be anchored to the car pretty substantially. If it was connected to the shoulder head restraint we could potentially see a decapitation.

Offline Ian

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2015, 07:35:43 PM »
We'd best let Bernie test it for that then DH1  :DD
An aircraft landing is just a controlled crash.

Offline Scott

« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2015, 09:51:45 AM »
I'm not sure why it would substantially inhibit escape.  The opening at the top appears to be almost as large as the cockpit opening.  Having a high bar to help pull yourself out might even increase the ease of escape. 

As for small bits of debris hitting the driver, that is a job of helmet safety.  It's the large objects - tractors, wheels or parts of barriers - that cause the brain injuries.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2015, 03:02:30 PM by Scott »

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2015, 12:26:35 PM »
I agree with Scott on this. The first thing I thought of when I saw the picture was that it's sort of the F1 version of the open roll cages used on midget & sprint racer over here.

Seriously, I've considered putting a roll bar in my MG Midget (if I ever get time to finish it). Not so much for rollover protection but to use it as a handle to pull myself up out of the thing.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Scott

« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2015, 03:04:42 PM »
In fact looking at Cos's picture, I would say they could have made it higher because the helmet still seems to be vulnerable if something drops into the cage.

Offline Monty

« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2015, 03:25:34 PM »
'open' cars are generally the easiest for drivers to produce the fastest lap times because the superior visibility allows pin-point accuracy on the track.
The image shown would severely impair visibility. At best this would slow cars down; at worst it could be dangerous because it could effect judgement of position and distance.
I am fed up with the knee-jerk reactions everytime there is an accident. Motor Racing is dangerous. If they want it 'safe' they need to produce bumper-cars and don't let them go over 30mph.
What happened to Jules could have and should have been avoided but Justin was just incredibly unlucky. I was really upset to hear about the tragedy but it was a fluke racing accident.

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2015, 04:03:21 PM »
'open' cars are generally the easiest for drivers to produce the fastest lap times because the superior visibility allows pin-point accuracy on the track.
The image shown would severely impair visibility. At best this would slow cars down; at worst it could be dangerous because it could effect judgement of position and distance.
I am fed up with the knee-jerk reactions everytime there is an accident. Motor Racing is dangerous. If they want it 'safe' they need to produce bumper-cars and don't let them go over 30mph.
What happened to Jules could have and should have been avoided but Justin was just incredibly unlucky. I was really upset to hear about the tragedy but it was a fluke racing accident.

I agree the knee jerk reactions don't really lead to making anything better.

I don't agree that racing has to be inherently dangerous.  Yes, getting into a crash always involves a tremendous amount of energy, and if you cause a crash, one can argue that you 'deserve' an injury.  Most sports accept broken bones, sprains and such, and I think that if F1/Indycar resulted on those, there would be no concern.  Justin Wilson though, he wasn't in a crash.  It was a fluke, but he's not the first 'innocent' racer to be hit by flying debris this season.  If the sport can find a way to protect heads, they have to do it.

But you're absolutely right, a knee  jerk reaction that causes other concerns (either from a safety, sporting or spectacle point of view) isn't the way to go.  Take the time to put some thought into this.  Test a few suggestions.  Mercedes is right to make an effort, to start a discussion.

Offline Scott

« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2015, 04:19:26 PM »
I agree that the head needs more protection in F1 (and Indy etc...), but have always been against canopies for exactly the reasons you say Monty.  However I think the design Mercedes came up with is an interesting compromise - and don't forget they came up with it in a matter of days. 

Agreed, the line of sight must be considered, but when you mention apex's and such, it makes me think that a very thin upright right in the centre like they have in their mock-up is possibly just what we want.  The only time it would necessarily even enter the line of sight is on a straight line, and honestly I think once the brain got its 'head around it', the drivers would hardly even notice it.  I would be more concerned with how the airflow would affect the drivers helmet than their line of sight in this case.

Of course design is something that would have to be a long time in testing and development, so perhaps there would even be a solution that was even better.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2015, 04:21:43 PM by Scott »

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2015, 06:13:09 PM »

Agreed, the line of sight must be considered, but when you mention apex's and such, it makes me think that a very thin upright right in the centre like they have in their mock-up is possibly just what we want.  The only time it would necessarily even enter the line of sight is on a straight line, and honestly I think once the brain got its 'head around it', the drivers would hardly even notice it.  I would be more concerned with how the airflow would affect the drivers helmet than their line of sight in this case.

We've all seen the driver's point of view cameras.  There is the roll hoop and a half dozen antennae along that view.  The Mercedes design certainly wouldn't have much effect there.

On courses with elevation changes the upper bars might be surprisingly troublesome, or cause flickering sunlight/night lights as the cars turn through the twisty bits.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle