collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 447
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11253 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Renault Back?  (Read 8436 times)

Offline Steve A.

Renault Back?
« on: August 28, 2015, 07:45:18 PM »

Renault almost fully back in F1, hope they make a good job of it and keep.it clean

http://m.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/120532/renault-poised-to-complete-lotus-deal

Offline cosworth151

Re: Renault Back?
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2015, 07:57:34 PM »
If they do succeed, Romain & Pastor will be able to get to the shunt much, much faster.

I wonder how long Lotus's engine contract with Mercedes is?

“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Scott

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2015, 08:06:57 PM »

Sounds like the engine deals end at the end of 2016
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2015, 02:04:59 AM »

There are a few possiblities

1)  What Renault buys is a grid slot and factory, not a legal entity. Lotus goes bankrupt, and contracts are void.  This could be a mess, but I should think it's resolvable.

2)  Renault and Red Bull trade engine contracts.  Red Bull traded with STR in the past, so I don't see why that can't happen again.

I can't imagine Mercedes is interested in watching Renault beating Mercedes with Mercedes engines, but who knows?

Offline Andy B

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2015, 04:44:14 AM »
If the deal is done which it is looking more likely then I doubt Lotus Renault will be powered by Mercedes which at this moment in time is a backward step for Lotus.
It also has to be possible that Crashdonaldo will not be there as he is sponsored by a rival oil company to Renault and as I do not rate him not a loss for me.
You would assume that the financial input from Renault will put Lotus back in the black.
Once you have retired every day is a Saturday!

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2015, 05:29:59 AM »

There are a few possiblities

1)  What Renault buys is a grid slot and factory, not a legal entity. Lotus goes bankrupt, and contracts are void.  This could be a mess, but I should think it's resolvable.

2)  Renault and Red Bull trade engine contracts.  Red Bull traded with STR in the past, so I don't see why that can't happen again.

I can't imagine Mercedes is interested in watching Renault beating Mercedes with Mercedes engines, but who knows?

1) is impossible. The validity of a grid slot is dependent on the underlying company going neither bankrupt nor attracting a declaration of insolvency (this is not the same as administration, which is a last-ditch attempt to keep a business solvent).

2), on the other hand, is intruiging and very possible.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline Scott

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2015, 09:20:37 PM »
Seems the RBR part of the equation is done...they're finished with Renault at the end of 2015

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/120696
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Andy B

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2015, 11:31:35 PM »
How about Red Bull Honda?  :good:

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2015, 04:24:30 PM »
How about Red Bull Honda?  :good:

It would certainly make them appreciate how much better they had it with Renault!
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Steve A.

« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2015, 06:12:24 PM »
Might even give Mclaren someone to beat.

Offline Andy B

« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2015, 12:38:39 AM »
I do not think the Honda option is so daft as they will come good and I do not expect McLaren to in a similar position next year and could be worth the risk by RB. Mercedes have said they will not supply RB and no surprise there which just leaves Ferrari so I shall stick with Honda for RB for now.

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2015, 10:04:16 AM »
Trouble is McLaren hold all the cards over Honda's engine supply, can't see Ron handing the advantage of this painful development year over to Red Bull easily.

Ron will want the engine fully up to full power for at least a couple of years before he will allow any other front runner to even discuss terms for getting the Honda PU.
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Andy B

« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2015, 10:38:01 AM »
Trouble is McLaren hold all the cards over Honda's engine supply, can't see Ron handing the advantage of this painful development year over to Red Bull easily.

Ron will want the engine fully up to full power for at least a couple of years before he will allow any other front runner to even discuss terms for getting the Honda PU.

I understand that John although with Mercedes already saying no will Ferrari want RB beating them with their own engine which is what stopped Merc letting teams that have the potential to beat them have their engines.
We are assuming that McLaren hold all the cards with Honda which is a strained relationship at the moment. Horner has also said that he is talking to everyone so that has to include Honda but only time will tell.

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2015, 11:30:49 AM »
How about a worst case scenario? Renault decides stuff it and withdraws, Lotus goes belly up, RB can't get engines and is out taking Toro Rosso with them. Haas comes in, but we still have only 16 cars on the grid.
Lonny

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2015, 02:00:42 PM »
Whilst I can follow the logic of Renault not continuing Lonny I find it hard to accept that Lotus will go bust, in a pevious post I raised the issue of PDVSA withholding the $35m sponsorship payment until ownership was settled as they require a guarantee that Pastor's drive in 16 is safe.  Now I'm sure that's certainly enough money to keep Lotus going - well until the end of 16 anyways.

Whist the main Red Bull team may jack it in I'm sure Bernie will try to ensure STR remains, either by heavy monetary sanctions on Mateschitz, and/or by getting different owners on board. Ferrari will have no problem supplying STR - they've done it before after all.

Oh and if Red Bull pull out Bernie can move to divert their points based payments to all the others next year.

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle