collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 555
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11275 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Mercedes Says No To Red Bull Deal  (Read 1825 times)

Offline cosworth151

Mercedes Says No To Red Bull Deal
« on: September 07, 2015, 07:19:05 PM »
Autosport is reporting that Mercedes will not supply engines to Red Bull. They say that their sources have confirmed Daimler chairman Dieter Zetsche has decided to bring the tentative discussions to an end following his visit to Monza for the Italian Grand Prix at the weekend.

I can't really see Merc wanting to supply the best engines currently in F1 to one of their biggest rivals.

http://www.racer.com/f1/item/121191-mercedes-rejects-red-bull-engine-deal

“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Scott

Re: Mercedes Says No To Red Bull Deal
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2015, 09:07:27 PM »
So Merc knows they have the engine package to beat, but doesn't think they can match RBR's chassis engineering department...hmmm.  True racers would relish in the challenge.

I know Ali was saying in another thread that engine manufacturers are bound to deliver the same engine to every customer, including their works team.  So why is it that Ferrari (apparently) doesn't now and is open about saying the customer engines are and will be a b-spec version?  Could it be that Merc finally read the rule book and realized they have to provide customers with the same engine as their own tea (mind you it seems they don't even provide the same engine to both their drivers).   :DntKnw: :DntKnw:  I don't know...what have I got wrong?  Is this just another Ferrari 'exception'?
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2015, 09:13:39 PM »
I think they've decided they don't want to get into bed with a bunch of whingers who can't be honourable partners to their present engine supplier.

It's one thing to want to get a better engine but it's quite another to be so publicly critical and ungrateful to a long term partner.

I reckon Merc can see any failure for Red Bull to win, or run at the same pace as the factory team, will result in RBR telling everyone who'll listen that they are getting a lesser spec engine.

Just like at Ferrari where the car cannot be blamed by the driver, Red Bull seem incapable of accepting that their chassis or operating systems can be at the least fault.

Who needs customers like that when you've got others happy to work well with you, the right decision from Daimler Chairman I reckon.  :good: 

Ferrari and Old Bull were made for each other.  :D     
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2015, 09:38:59 PM »
True racers would relish in the challenge.

I agree. The problem is, in a mega-corp, the decisions are made by the suits in the boardroom.

If memory serves, the b-spec Ferrari engine was a cut-rate deal so that low budget teams could afford engines.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Monty

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2015, 09:16:21 AM »
I know it is bad for us fans but I do not feel it is fair to condemn Mercedes. They are already supplying teams that are genuinely competing with them - Williams are hot on their tails and FIF1 have their moments. Mercedes had a period when they were left in the dust by RBR. Most people felt that this was due to illegal(ish) RBR wings and exhaust systems. Of course Mercedes now want their time in the sun.
RBR should comply with their contract and help Renault get better. Clearly Ferrari have managed to improve their power unit so surely Renault will get their act together soon (in fact they didn't look too shoddy at Monza so perhaps they are already getting on top of their problems).

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2015, 10:45:49 AM »

It'd really be fun if Renault stay in F1 and then the team starts beating Ferrari and even winning races with the yet to be fully updated engine.  ;)
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle