collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 357
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 3
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11253 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: VW shares plunge 18% on US exhaust scandal  (Read 8218 times)

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
VW shares plunge 18% on US exhaust scandal
« on: September 21, 2015, 09:26:39 PM »
Fines in US could reach $18bn, but over twice as much if Europe acts.  :o

Sounds like the F1 dream is well and truly over for Wolfsburg favourite sons, VW's fight for survival may dwarf any F1 minnow's dying throes.  :D

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-34311819

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Scott

Re: VW shares plunge 18% on US exhaust scandal
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2015, 09:50:37 PM »
2 things jump to mind...

I surely hope,this doesn't interfere with their purchase of RBR.

My car is on the list...crap.  >:(
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Online Dare

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2015, 10:37:07 PM »
I thought at first shares plunged 18% because they
decided to enter F1.I wondered had F1 sunk that low?
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Online cosworth151

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2015, 12:02:46 PM »
As far as I've heard, this is a U.S. only problem. You should be in the clear, Scott.

I wonder how many people will respond to a recall saying, "Please bring your car in so that we can cut your mileage & performance."
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Online cosworth151

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2015, 02:02:35 PM »
I just heard on BBC World Service that it is world wide. That's what I get for listening to American networks.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Online Jericoke

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2015, 03:21:39 PM »
I just heard on BBC World Service that it is world wide. That's what I get for listening to American networks.

It was the Americans who found the 'problem'.  Thus, it was only a problem in the USA until everyone else verifies the issue legally.  Each country has their own emission standards that VW has independently deceived

Offline Steve A.

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2015, 04:50:19 PM »
Yeah I heard the Europe is next to start the recalls, this will cost them so much more than cash, customers will not buy another VW, but that could bleed into all the other marques

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2015, 01:03:20 AM »
Audi A3 diesel is also on list.
Lonny

Online cosworth151

« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2015, 12:34:52 PM »
Over here, it sounds (so far) like it's restricted to the 2009 and newer 2 liter four banger TDI.

I haven't heard many bad comments from people around here about VW. Many of the folks I've heard talk about it just want to know where they can get similar software for their vehicles.  ;)
― Bob Dylan

Offline Scott

« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2015, 05:46:17 PM »
What is really going to be interesting is when they insist we bring our cars in so they can turn down the engine management, how many of us (like me) will be on the internet the very next day buying a tuning chip to turn it back up and then some.  That, or they can take my 2014 and give me a 2016/17 with a gas engine.  I paid for the highest horsepower engine, at more than $10k extra (with the transmission that went with it) hike from the base model by the way, and I expect to have that engine I paid for, not something that can't keep up to the base model gas engine.

I am going to be very p*ssed off if I have to sacrifice performance or money for VW's crime.

Offline Steve A.

« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2015, 07:48:25 PM »
In the UK a lot of people bought vw's because of the low omissions, they were so low that no road tax was charged, if that is to be recalculated then a lot of people will be getting unexpected bills.

Online Jericoke

« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2015, 07:58:41 PM »
What is really going to be interesting is when they insist we bring our cars in so they can turn down the engine management, how many of us (like me) will be on the internet the very next day buying a tuning chip to turn it back up and then some.  That, or they can take my 2014 and give me a 2016/17 with a gas engine.  I paid for the highest horsepower engine, at more than $10k extra (with the transmission that went with it) hike from the base model by the way, and I expect to have that engine I paid for, not something that can't keep up to the base model gas engine.

I am going to be very p*ssed off if I have to sacrifice performance or money for VW's crime.

Wasn't that what undid DeLorean?  Paying the fines for under delivering on power?  (Well, the cocaine smuggling didn't help matters.)

Offline Scott

« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2015, 08:08:49 PM »
Apparently the stock is down more than 40% now.  I bet Horner is freaking out.

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2015, 05:13:13 PM »
The fines and possible lawsuits (someone in America will sue for deception, bet on it) are said to be high enough to possibly bankrupt VW.  :o
Lonny

Offline Scott

« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2015, 05:24:36 PM »
BMW has apparently had a model fail as badly under emission testing, and they are taking a hard look at Merc now in Europe.  Getting to the 'too big to fail' point.  Beat the heck out of them, but if the EU starts forcing the three big German auto makers to drastically shut down or cripple them with fines, then the economic fallout will be disastrous for Europe, not just Germany. 

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle