collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 596
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11275 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Raikkonen back 2 day GP weekends  (Read 3577 times)

Offline Scott

Raikkonen back 2 day GP weekends
« on: October 28, 2015, 08:13:54 PM »
I can't not love the guy, but really, did they have to ask probably the laziest driver on the grid?  Of course Kimi would prefer to only work weekends. 

Of course if you damage your car, it means the mechanics are under far more stress to get the car up and running again if it has to run again later the same day.

As a fan going to races, I would say I prefer the Thurs-Sun format.  Sure, it costs more (two more nights hotel, food etc...), but I like the more relaxed schedule and time to wander around the circuit, not just watching non-stop racing. 

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/121542

The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Online Jericoke

Re: Raikkonen back 2 day GP weekends
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2015, 02:30:13 PM »
Sure, the whole F1 programme can be condensed, but what does that mean for support series?

I know that fans are (mostly) paying for the main event, but the support series are fun to watch too, and it's a fantastic opportunity for the next generation of F1 drivers to be in front of a crowd.  If F1 is using the track all the time, there's no room for anyone else (especially if they have to clean up after a crash, which seems to be de rigeur these days)

I also enjoyed having extra time to explore.  If everything is compressed it will hurt the vendors.  If I'm stuck in my seat watching F1's compressed schedule, I'm not off looking for a Kimi hat or maple doughnuts.

Offline Scott

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2015, 03:05:11 PM »
I'm not off looking for a Kimi hat or maple doughnuts.
   :DD :DD :DD

Online Jericoke

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2015, 04:52:50 PM »

Seriously, there was a trailer selling maple dipped potato doughnuts right next to the corner we set up at.  It's like they knew the fat girl was going to be there!

And everyone was selling Kimi hats.  Schumacher, Hamilton, Vettel and Villeneuve caps were there too, but I think the Kimi hats were the most popular.

Offline Scott

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2015, 07:11:26 PM »

Seriously, there was a trailer selling maple dipped potato doughnuts right next to the corner we set up at.  It's like they knew the fat girl was going to be there!

Sounds delish

Offline Andy B

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2015, 07:41:17 AM »

And everyone was selling Kimi hats.  Schumacher, Hamilton, Vettel and Villeneuve caps were there too, but I think the Kimi hats were the most popular.

I never saw the doughnuts but I did see all the hats and was going to buy a Lotus hat but they were selling last years with the Renault logo on it, when I said no thanks I want this years hat she seemed  little put our as other around me then realised too.
Having been to quite a few GP's over the years I'm in favour of keeping Thursday to Sunday what they need to do if anything is make Friday a test day to get the cars on track more or at least specify they have to do X number of laps in each session.
They need to make the teams more accessible to the fans as its all quite distant even test days at Silverstone once down in the pit lane they put up the barriers so very little could be seen only McLaren put up a display of an engine and a show car for the fans to see and photograph.
Just my thoughts.
Once you have retired every day is a Saturday!

Offline Irisado

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2015, 10:49:01 AM »
Condensing the weekend's running could have the benefit of making setting up the car more difficult and make the racing more dynamic as a result (see my comments in the COTA discussion thread for further details of what I'm referring to).  However, I agree that this would be a bad thing for the mechanics and could make the event as a whole less appealing for fans who want value for money.  That said, if there are fans who cannot take time off during the week, then losing Friday wouldn't be an issue for them.  Quite the conundrum.

I think that the best way forward is to ban simulators.  Drivers need to learn new circuits at the track not by driving around playing glorified computer games.  Grand Prix weekends as a whole would be more interesting if the drivers and teams didn't have everything worked out through simulation before hand, and this would lead to more meaningful running taking place on Fridays.
Soņando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2015, 10:44:14 AM »
Nah Kimi's wrong, sure it would make things a little bit more exciting having to condense everything - but what about us people who rely on borrowing friends Friday GP tickets some years.  :D

The incredible prices that they charge now, well for the British GP anyway, means most of us can't afford to go for the whole weekend unless we make it into a proper holiday and go camping at Silverstone as well. We need 3 days then to make it worthwhile.   ;) 
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2015, 03:11:29 PM »
Some firms no longer insist that a week's vacation be taken as a Monday - Friday week. I used to take the USGP week Wednesday - Tuesday. I'd leave for Indy Wednesday so that I could be waiting at the gate when they opened on Thursday morning. Also, I always ran into team personnel at a few of the Downtown watering holes Wednesday night.  I'd also spend Sunday night in Indy. That way I didn't have to drive 3-1/2 hours home after the race. Not only that, but there were always lots of post-race parties that night!  :yahoo:
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle