collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 258
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11275 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Some common sense being applied to engine rules  (Read 2298 times)

Offline Scott

Some common sense being applied to engine rules
« on: October 19, 2015, 12:25:50 PM »
The increase in tokens is only a small step though.  They haven't allowed for a re-design, which is something at least Honda desperately needs. 

The additional rule of being allowed to sell one year old engines is a bad idea in my opinion.  Customers deserve to have a chance at podiums if they can build a superior car.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/formula1/34548368

The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline cosworth151

Re: Some common sense being applied to engine rules
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2015, 12:45:21 PM »
Will they be allowed to use them to employ them to improve performance or just for reliability and economy? The 2016 Sporting Regs state:

Appendix 4, 5) A manufacturer may apply to the FIA during the course of the homologation period to carry out modifications to their homologated power unit for the sole purposes of reliability, safety, cost-saving.

I'm sure that engine builders would could try to squeeze performance fixes through under one of the above categories, but will they have to?
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2015, 03:03:45 PM »
The increase in tokens is only a small step though.  They haven't allowed for a re-design, which is something at least Honda desperately needs. 

The additional rule of being allowed to sell one year old engines is a bad idea in my opinion.  Customers deserve to have a chance at podiums if they can build a superior car.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/formula1/34548368

I suppose I need to write the FIA directly and say if they make it standard to supply old designs as 'cost cutting', I will stop following F1.

When one team is allowed to sabotage their competitors directly, it is not a sport.

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2015, 06:29:47 PM »
The tokens are unrestricted in terms of the type of improvements allowed. However there are restrictions on which bits of engine to which they can be applied. Anything frozen at the end of 2014 remains frozen (negotiations currently ongoing as to whether the 2015 freezes will be applied or not).

So we have yet another engine sorbet. How predictable...
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline Irisado

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2015, 10:26:41 PM »
A moderate bit of common sense, yes, but the token system remains in place and is very restrictive.  I'm not optimistic that there is going to be much change in relative engine performance next year.
Soņando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle