collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 124
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 2
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16157 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11273 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Number 3 for Lewis  (Read 6636 times)

Offline Andy B

Number 3 for Lewis
« on: October 26, 2015, 12:21:16 AM »
Love him or hate him you do not get three World titles unless you are on top of your game and Lewis has certainly shown he is.
Nico was a little disappointing in his reaction to loosing which with only two points in it he must have known his chances were only mathematical! Maybe he thought his time had come when he was out scoring Schumi then Lewis arrived, he is a tough team mate but does not have the winning instinct that Lewis, Vettel and Alonso have hence why they have world titles and he does not.
Roll on 2016 and a battle between Lewis and Vettel, Mercedes and Ferrari but for now Well Done Lewis.  :good:

Once you have retired every day is a Saturday!

Offline Scott

Re: Number 3 for Lewis
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2015, 07:37:08 AM »
Totally agree with the Nico comments.  Big Baby. 

First corner was Lewis's, but he really didn't have to push Nico right off the track.  The in-car showed he was setting up for a very wide apex, and I don't think it was just because of the water, there were no moments or adjustments that made me think grip was an issue at that moment.

I have only watched the opening few laps and some highlights, so can't really comment on too much, but I was amazed to see only 12 cars finish (don't think anyone picked THAT).  Kimi and Kvyat both made major errors that cost them a handful of points.

I'll try to watch more of the race a bit later today and dive in then.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Ian

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2015, 09:21:19 AM »
Congratulations to Lewis  :good: .What I did find crass was his reported comment. " I don't know what happens next, there is no other guy to aspire to. " Huh, has he forgotten a certain 7 times WDC ?
An aircraft landing is just a controlled crash.

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2015, 10:11:07 AM »

Way to go Lewis.  :yahoo:  :yahoo:  :yahoo: I also like it when the WDC winner seals it on a race win.  :good:

It was always his to lose at this point in the season, rather than Nico's to win, so all the sour grapes from Rosberg is a bit puzzling.  :crazy:

Like you Ian I'm not sure what Lewis is on about with his aspire comment.  :confused: There's still Fangio, Prost and the sleeping German Prince to overhaul - any of which presently rate higher in mine and many others 'Greats' list than the talented kid raised in Stevenage (not Tewin :nono:) as he now likes to portray.

I was also furious towards the end of the race when the commentators on SKY kept referring to the chance of Nico deliberately allowing Vettel through to spoil Lewis' big day. I know Nico is a sourpuss but even to suggest that he would contemplate such back stabbing to the team and his team mate is IMHO frankly ludicrous.

Finally Brundle brought sanity back by saying Nico wouldn't do it as his marching orders would surely follow. All I can think is Rosberg's churlish and sometimes devious ways have caused the media to view him as a blaggard.  :D  - Well it's had the effect of us all talking about him as much, if not more, than the actual World Champ.  :swoon:

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Steve A.

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2015, 10:50:51 AM »
I think Hamilton has had just as many throwing the toys out the pram moments in the past as Rosberg has had, time passes and people forget.Personally I can't stand Hamilton but can't argue with his talent.
From what I have heard Hamilton threw the second place cap at Rosberg,  so him throwing it back I'd not really a surprise. anyone would be disappointed once the championship was decided, just wonder how sportsman like Hamilton would have been if he had lost it this year.

Online cosworth151

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2015, 11:04:45 AM »
Surprisingly, Lewis is only the second British 3 time WDC. The other was Sir Jackie Stewart.

I wonder which vexed Nico more, Lewis getting the better of him in the first corner (yet another time) or his own mistake that allowed Lewis around him at the end of the race.

The most disturbing thing for me was the Honda situation. Button's old spec Honda engine outran and out lasted Alonso new spec ICE. Not a good omen for McLaren, and maybe RBR-Honda.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Scott

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2015, 11:13:52 AM »
Lewis is the Justin Bieber of F1 imo.  Talented sure, but lacking in maturity and some fundamental personal traits.  Good for him...3.  I just wish when he only has one real competitor on the grid - his teammate - that he would compete fairly without any dirty tricks...and before you jump all over me, I would say exactly the same of Nico.  Those two in a sense deserve each other.

Offline Monty

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2015, 11:24:44 AM »
Isn't it funny how people allow their personal prejudices to stop them seeing the bigger picture. I've seen Hamilton called over agressive by someone who then went on to say Shumacher was 'better' than Hamilton! I get fed up with comparisons. Hamilton has done fantastic things with a great package. He has totally dominated Nico in the same car/team. He made a bold decision to move to Mercedes. All in all, he has done everything necessary to win a third championship and he should be applauded.
I fully agree with the comments about Nico. He has made a lot more enemies with his petulant behaviour.

Offline Scott

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2015, 12:36:35 PM »
Isn't it funny how people allow their personal prejudices to stop them seeing the bigger picture.

If you mean me, I'm not sure what you mean by personal prejudices.  When Lewis broke into F1, I was a big fan.  His own behaviour turned me off, nothing else.  Like Vettel, he never seems to be able to get along with his teammate (though Vettel seems to like Kimi).  He could achieve it all and still be a decent guy, but chooses not to be.

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2015, 01:33:38 PM »
The churlish behavior is present across a lot of sports. It comes from being told how "special" you are from a very early age and being allowed to get away with stuff other kids are punished for. I think Nico's behavior yesterday had ,ore to do with his mistake that let Lewis win than Lewis winning the WC. I think he was primarily mad at himself.
Lonny

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2015, 01:59:17 PM »
I think that Hamilton has demonstrated he is one of the greats.

It is true that in modern F1 having the right machine counts as much as having the right skills, but Hamilton took a chance to move to Mercedes and then made sure he stayed at Mercedes.

He has soundly defeated his teammate.

He is willing to take chances on the race track and create passing opportunities.

He is excited to win, sour to lose.

He loves the sport, and appreciates his place in it.

He is just as good a role model as any F1 champion I've seen since I started watching F1 in 1996.  (I agree that statement is up for debate)

Offline F1fanaticBD

« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2015, 03:42:05 PM »
The US grand prix of 2015 in a way gives you the dynamics of Mercedes duo in a nut shell in my opinion. Nico started with a pole, as he did being in the Mercedes camp for more than 3 years, knowing every bit of the mechanism of how they would function. On the other hand, Lewis the new guy in the team, sprinted, aggressively to get what it is required, and then as Nico throws away the race, he had thrown away many a chances to be a World Championship winner.

In the race Lewis was given preference in terms of first round of pit-stops, but Mercedes gave the preference in the second round while giving Nico the soft compound, while almost making Lewis the sitting duck. Had there been not the second Safety car, we would have different body languages from the Mercedes drivers.

I fall in love with Lewis from the moment I have seen him driving that McLaren, and I still do love to watch him. Yes he has his short-comings, he had his moments which were not among his proudest, at times he acts as silly as a child, but on the track, in a car, he is just phenomenal, the way he drives the cars, I can't help watching with an awe, every time he drives the car, so 3 times WDC title does looks deserving beside his name.

But for the drive of the day, I would hand it out to Sebastian Vettel, from 14th place to third is impressive, but to challenge the Mercedes for the win, and the way he did it was nothing short of impressive. Many thought he was only good in good cars, but again he showed, just give him a sniff and pounce like a tiger.

It was interesting to see the post race conference, I have only seen the first 10 minutes or so, and intentionally or unintentionally none of the journalists asked question to Nico, only to multiple champion Vettel and Lewis.
Keep running the fast cars, you will be never out of girls

Offline Andy B

« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2015, 12:53:42 AM »
An interesting varied amount of comment on here and this is some of my thoughts.
  • Lewis was very young on arriving in F1 and in a top team at that but since then he has matured but we have to remember that the teams want their drivers to be diplomats as well as superstars and some of them are better at it than others.
  • The cap throwing saga was Lewis tossing Nico the cap and Nico threw it back but Lewis has said when asked he has known Nico since he was 13 and it was nothing new. Maybe I, we, would get a little agitated if we were always beaten by Lewis.
  • A work colleague's son went to school with Lewis in Stevenage and life for him then was not always good but when he met him in the pit lane on a Thursday at Spar Lewis not only recognised him but took the time to have a chat so keeping his feet on the ground.
  • If you look at other multiple champions only maybe Jackie Stewart was courteous to his team mate but the others have all had issues so Nico v Lewis is nothing new.
  • I also think that we feel we know these stars be it in sport or not but the reality is that we don't we just the public perception of them and I'm sure we have all said or done something that we regret after but we've not done it in the public eye.
  • You have to have some sympathy for Nico as he went to Mercedes and was equal to Schumi so must have thought his time had come but then Lewis arrived and was equal to him in the first year but he's been blown away since.
  • These are just my thoughts some drivers I prefer to others but I try to base that on skill rather than personality but that obviously makes a difference
  • Bring on 2016 and 2017 especially.
  • Having now watched all of the race and presentations when Lewis picked up his cap Nico's was inside it so he tossed it to him which was a friendly gesture in my view.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2015, 03:02:56 AM by Andy B »
Once you have retired every day is a Saturday!

Offline Scott

« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2015, 10:08:03 AM »

Offline F1fanaticBD

« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2015, 10:47:28 AM »
Now Nico's grasping at straws to explain his error.  A gust of wind...lol

http://www.skysports.com/f1/news/12433/10048025/nico-rosberg-says-gust-of-wind-caused-error-that-allowed-lewis-hamilton-through-to-win-title

Revealing this even if it was the truth, will only make him loose respect, and nothing. Sometimes you should keep things within you.
Keep running the fast cars, you will be never out of girls

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle