collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 158
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16156 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11272 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Thread the needle...with a truck  (Read 3054 times)

Offline Scott

Thread the needle...with a truck
« on: November 08, 2015, 09:00:38 PM »
The Top Gear description is classic, so Instead of me commenting, here is what they had to say - I would only add that the truck driver was going way too fast and too close to other drivers to not take some of the blame.

If you thought Lewis Hamilton’s spot-microscopic-gap-and-go-for-it overtaking manoeuvres were the ballsiest you’d see this year, prepare to reconsider.

Hit play above to witness the tale of one lorry driver’s lightning-quick reactions and skill behind the wheel.

It all starts when a clumsy van driver brakes too late for a turning on a three-lane motorway.

With nowhere to go and no chance of slowing down, the lorry barrelling along behind has to do something drastic.

No problem, because the driver appears to be a Snake II sensei, avoiding an almighty shunt by slithering his articulated truck through a just-big-enough gap like a boss before coming to a stop.

Anonymous trucker, TopGear.com proudly presents you with our inaugural award for Best Evasive Driving Manoeuvre Of 2015. Keep up the sterling work.

The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline lkjohnson1950

Re: Thread the needle...with a truck
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2015, 01:20:53 AM »
Followed by the immediate changing of several pair of undies.   :o :swoon:
Lonny

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2015, 12:08:32 PM »
Neat slalom from the big rig.  :good:

Not the van man's fault though, :nono: there's a construction digger type tractor moving across all the lanes to turn right. This causes the bus to try to move left into the van before stopping completely. the van man who seems to have been waiting for the bus to pass him on the right so as then to move right is forced to halt as well.

Of all of them the big rig driver must have had the best view of what could unfold, as he sits up higher than the rest and would clearly see the digger. I agree with you Scott, he still gunned the rig on the main drag faster than he ought, just very lucky this time.  :crazy:

Scary, scary, combination of road junctions though.  :swoon:

The other question is just how and why was the slow moving digger in the fast lane trying to turn right across all the traffic?  :confused:  :DntKnw:
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2015, 12:45:08 PM »
Amazing bit of driving. I hope his load was well secured (and not fragile.) 
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Warmwater

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2015, 11:31:25 PM »
It looks like pretty normal crash avoidance to me... but then I live in Mexico where everyone has to keep their eyes and brain engaged at all times.
What puzzles me is why the trucker stopped in the middle of the road after such a nice maneuver.

If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough.” ― Mario Andretti.

Offline Scott

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2015, 12:16:59 PM »
Wipe his brow and check his underwear...maybe have a smoke?
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2015, 03:21:49 PM »
I think there were still people stopped to let the tractor cross.
Lonny

Offline F1fanaticBD

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2015, 04:57:41 PM »
It looks like pretty normal crash avoidance to me... but then I live in Mexico where everyone has to keep their eyes and brain engaged at all times.
What puzzles me is why the trucker stopped in the middle of the road after such a nice maneuver.

I think he shot some hydraulic of that truck, no matter how good the driver is, these trucks are not made for such slalom  :nono:

But yeah, it was a neat move, anyone with this quick reflex should be proud of himself  :good:
Keep running the fast cars, you will be never out of girls

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle