collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 529
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11253 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Tag ditches Mclaren for RBR  (Read 6350 times)

Offline Scott

Tag ditches Mclaren for RBR
« on: November 17, 2015, 07:34:15 PM »
Wow...shocked.  Won't be buying a TAG anytime soon (not that this had anything to do with that  ;) :D ). 

I find it a shame when such a longtime sponsor jumps ship when the weather is stormy.  Even stranger that they would jump into another ship in distress.  Of course Red Bull isn't just RBR, and the sponsorship deal could be far reaching into the Red Bull sports holdings.

Too bad for Mclaren.  This Honda project is looking to cost them a great deal more than just FOM money.  I hope Ron is allowed to ride it out for at least another few years to see if he can bring everything back on track.

http://www.eurosport.co.uk/formula-1/mclaren-loses-sponsor-to-red-bull_sto4993474/story.shtml?

The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Irisado

Re: Tag ditches Mclaren for RBR
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2015, 01:22:14 PM »
This is potentially fairly serious for McLaren's ability to develop their car.  They've lost a significant amount of sponsorship in recent times, and they're heading for their worst result in the constructors' championship since 1980.

TAG's defection to Red Bull confuses me from a performance point of view.  My guess is that it is much more to do with the marketing potential of the Red Bull brand.  Either way, it's bad news for McLaren.
Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2015, 02:09:24 PM »
Diageo (Johnny Walker) also recently announced that they will leave McLaren for Aston Martin (Force India) next season. Things aren't looking good at Woking.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2015, 03:11:02 PM »
Diageo (Johnny Walker) also recently announced that they will leave McLaren for Aston Martin (Force India) next season. Things aren't looking good at Woking.

Reminds me of the season that Honda decided to forgo sponsorship (I presumed that meant they didn't have any serious sponsors anyway)

If I were Tag, I'd be worried that the next time Horner shows up late for a meeting he'll blame his watch to anyone and everyone.  :tease:

Offline Scott

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2015, 05:10:27 PM »
This is potentially fairly serious for McLaren's ability to develop their car.  They've lost a significant amount of sponsorship in recent times, and they're heading for their worst result in the constructors' championship since 1980.
Do you really think so?  McLaren is now an automaker in its own right, and a relatively successful one.  I don't think losing a watch sponsor is going to drastically affect its budget, and any shortfall they have from sponsorship losses this year should by all rights be also shared by Honda.

My guess is that it is much more to do with the marketing potential of the Red Bull brand. 
I already said that I think...

Offline F1fanaticBD

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2015, 02:38:03 PM »
I think there is reason behind the change of the ship. Tag has always been associated with the front running team, and it had always advertised itself as such. But my question lies on the choice of the team, though Red Bull may give them a broader audience to market. But I was expecting such measures from them, so not surprised.
Keep running the fast cars, you will be never out of girls

Offline Irisado

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2015, 04:06:19 PM »
Do you really think so?  McLaren is now an automaker in its own right, and a relatively successful one.  I don't think losing a watch sponsor is going to drastically affect its budget, and any shortfall they have from sponsorship losses this year should by all rights be also shared by Honda.

I think that it will be a factor because of how much money they're going to lose from dropping to ninth in the constructors' championship.  If they were still in the top five, I would agree with you that it wouldn't be significant, but finishing only ninth makes the loss of any sponsor much more of an issue than it would otherwise have been.  It's also unclear how much Honda will be willing to cover any shortfall, it depends very much on what their contract with McLaren says.

Another point to consider is that since McLaren launched its road car division, the team has not won the Formula 1 constructors' championship.  That suggests to me that either they're not focused sufficiently on Formula 1, or that they do not have the resources that they used to have.

I already said that I think...

I was agreeing with you ;).
Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2015, 11:16:23 AM »
I think there is reason behind the change of the ship. Tag has always been associated with the front running team, and it had always advertised itself as such. But my question lies on the choice of the team, though Red Bull may give them a broader audience to market. But I was expecting such measures from them, so not surprised.

My guess is that Mercedes preferred to retain their IWC watch sponsorship and Ferrari preferred its own supplier (I think it was Orologoi but I'm not sure). Williams is already sponsored by Oris, so I'm guessing Red Bull was the highest-ranked team not already in receipt of a conflicting sponsor's monies.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline Bobbsy

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2015, 05:49:46 AM »
Bad news for McLaren, probably as much for the signal it sends as the actual monetary loss.

However, didn't I hear that Red Bull is losing Infiniti as a sponsor soon?  If so, they'd be looking for new sponsors anyway.

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2015, 06:33:51 AM »
Sponsors come and go, TAG was with Macca a long time but if they get back to the front they will get more backers. I suspect Honda will keep McLaren afloat until they make their power unit competitive, or give up on F1 again, or decide they would have better luck with another constructor.
Lonny

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2015, 12:10:07 PM »
The sponsor market is every bit as competitive as the rest of F1 and Red Bull will be aware that pinching TAG from Macca is just another part of the mind games they play with each other.  ;)

From TAG's point of view they have already had more media exposure in one month than they had for the last two years.  :D
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Scott

« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2015, 06:19:16 PM »
Bad news for McLaren, probably as much for the signal it sends as the actual monetary loss.

However, didn't I hear that Red Bull is losing Infiniti as a sponsor soon?  If so, they'd be looking for new sponsors anyway.

Infinity is Renault, so it's tied to the engine deal which it appears will now go on for another year.

Offline Warmwater

« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2015, 09:30:48 PM »
Red Bull's prime sponsor, Infinity, is a Nissan brand, and Nissan is owned by Renault. So it stands to reason that if Renault dis-owns Red Bull, Infiniti will follow.

If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough.” ― Mario Andretti.

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2015, 09:07:25 PM »
It turns out that Ron Dennis p!ssed off TAG Heuer CEO Jean-Claude Biver. Now that's one costly temper tantrum.

http://www.racer.com/f1/item/124275-dennis-fell-out-with-tag-heuer-chief
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Scott

« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2015, 04:53:21 AM »
I've always held the opinion that it's unusual for Ron Denis to NOT p*ss off people.   ;)

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle