collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 353
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11253 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Channel 4 Takes Over Formula 1 Coverage from the BBC  (Read 6325 times)

Offline Irisado

Channel 4 Takes Over Formula 1 Coverage from the BBC
« on: December 21, 2015, 12:59:16 PM »
It was inevitable that Formula 1 was going to be a casualty of the cuts imposed on BBC.  The only silver lining is that Channel 4 have picked up the remaining three years of the BBC's contract, and have stated that they will not show adverts during the live races.

More details on can be found on the following pages:
http://www.channel4.com/info/press/news/channel-4-becomes-terrestrial-home-of-formula-1?hootPostID=dde274dfb372ab4d0ede906f68a35e34
http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/aboutthebbc/entries/d65fc069-ca52-41dd-a7be-674ca1614e14

Soņando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline Jericoke

Re: Channel 4 Takes Over Formula 1 Coverage from the BBC
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2015, 02:20:55 PM »
I just hope they don't bump up the liscencing cost for the Canadian re-broadcast.

Offline Steve A.

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2015, 03:11:23 PM »
At least there will still be free to air coverage I'm the UK. Hopefully they will do a good job, I wonder who the presenting team will be.

Offline Scott

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2015, 03:44:42 PM »
Yeah, but it's only for the 10 races again, or does Channel 4 get the whole season?  I wonder who they are going to use - hope Coulthard stays with the broadcast.

Also thankful I get Channel 4 as well over here, though I'm thinking of killing off our cable and pony up for Netflix instead...the kids are getting on my back about it and my daughter has an unhealthy addiction to horrible MTV reality shows which I don't think are available on Netflix.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Irisado

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2015, 04:01:41 PM »
The first of the two links in my opening post clarifies that it will be the same deal that the BBC had, so ten live races.

There is no news yet about the presentation team.  This will be announced in 2016, along with which races will be shown live.
Soņando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

guest3164

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2015, 05:43:35 PM »
Disappointing for the Beeb to lose F1.  Admittedly I mostly watch it on Sky as I have had that for years (and years) but I will miss the BBC having it.  I will be curious to watch Channel 4's coverage though, they try to be edgy normally so will this carry on into their F1, or will it be restricted by Bernie?  Will they have 'The Chain' as their theme tune?  There is really a limited field of people they can appoint, so I wonder if they'll hoover up the BBC presenters?  Maybe we could end up with Coulthard rejoining Brundle at Sky.  Either way, I think I'll be watching some racing on 4 this year. 

Offline Andy B

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2015, 10:59:23 PM »
I've just seem this and although it does not affect me its disappointing that the BBC have dropped the ball, it will be interesting to see who presents it on Channel 4 as that makes a huge difference. I have seen a race or two in Aussie and their show and style does not do it for me.
I have been impressed with Sky and MB does a great job but Sky is the only way I can watch it here in NZ with streaming it in from somewhere that does not have the commentary I want.
Once you have retired every day is a Saturday!

Offline Ian

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2015, 01:37:43 PM »
But I'll bet the BBC doesn't get rid of Wimbledon, once again we'll be swamped by it.
An aircraft landing is just a controlled crash.

guest3164

« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2015, 05:37:21 PM »
You see, whilst I also love tennis, it does grate with me how much attention the BBC give to Wimbledon each year.  To me it exacerbates the idea in this country that there is 'tennis season' during July only.  Blanket coverage for a fortnight yet hardly any mention of any other event.  Also their smug crew of commentators (Andrew Castle, John Lloyd mostly) get on my nerves and I wish they'd shake it up.  They could probably save a lot of the F1 fee by halving the amount of commentators they employ at Wimbledon! 

Offline Irisado

« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2015, 05:45:56 PM »
The saddest part for me about this is that BBC team didn't get to sign off with a proper farewell.  ITV at least got to do that, as did the BBC back in 1996.  This time there was no opportunity to do that, although Coulthard tried to incorporate this into his closing words on the last F1 forum.  It's impossible to say thanks for the memories properly though when no decision has actually been taken.

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2015, 06:54:57 PM »
The BBC got told to make huge cuts immediately, so the rights it was easiest to move got moved. Nobody wants the full rights to Wimbledon (how would they justify the fee?), so it was always going to be more difficult to divide them up than it was to offer the whole of an already-split contract to a broadcaster who'd already expressed an interest in picking up the tab.

Something that went under the radar during all this is that Sky is cutting costs and streamlining various parts of its F1 coverage. I suspect it is quietly having trouble justifying the Bernie bills too. 2018 is going to be interesting!

It is a pity there was no opportunity to sign off properly. Yet another thing to blame the British government for; they have no sense of how much things cost. Much like Bernie, really...

Channel 4 did an excellent job with the Paralympics, and I hope they carry that into the F1 coverage. It would surprise me if "The Chain" or anything else associated with motor sport was the theme tune - there is a preference for having a new theme tune for every program. Many, many people could be the commentators.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline Scott

« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2015, 07:21:15 PM »
In an article I read somewhere with Eddie whining about getting the boot (he was actually showing a lot of concern for his fellow BBCF1 employees, many of whom had recently uprooted to a new location), it was mentioned that Coulthard seems to be top of the list for Ch4 presenters for F1.  Hope so.  In some ways it would be fun to have Eddie around as well, but if they are signing Prost to a 'Lauda-like' position at Renault, maybe they should sign Eddie to a 'Lauda-like' position at Williams or something.

Offline Ian

« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2015, 08:10:07 PM »
I like DC but I still reckon MB is the king of the gridwalk.
An aircraft landing is just a controlled crash.

Offline Scott

« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2015, 08:08:14 AM »
I don't really care who does the grid walk (rather have a comedian do it actually), but I like DC's commentary during the race.

Offline Steve A.

« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2015, 08:20:55 AM »
I hope DC gets the job, as much as I was a Jordan fan I don't think EJ is good at presenting, so he wouldn't be a miss. Other than that I'm not too bothered,  bit if JB is retiring at the end of next season I would have him lined up now.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle