collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 356
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11253 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Channel 4 Takes Over Formula 1 Coverage from the BBC  (Read 6331 times)

Offline Alianora La Canta

Re: Channel 4 Takes Over Formula 1 Coverage from the BBC
« Reply #30 on: January 01, 2016, 06:50:53 PM »
Channel 4 have made an investment into Whisper Films. The latter is a production company owned by Jake Humphrey, David Coulthard and former BBC F1 producer Sunil Patel. I guess that's 2/3 of the presenting team decided!
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline Scott

« Reply #31 on: January 01, 2016, 07:00:33 PM »
I thought Humphrey was with football now.  Did BBC also cut that coverage?
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #32 on: January 01, 2016, 07:18:15 PM »
I thought Humphrey was with football now.  Did BBC also cut that coverage?

Jake left the BBC to take up a role at BTSport who have been buying up a lot of Football and other sport for staggering sums.

BTs the main landline/internet provider in the UK and are trying to combat SKYs meteoric rise to be biggest media supplier in Britain by offering TV services with pay Sport coverage alongside internet access down their landline infrastructure.

All the telephony providers now see a bundled package of Internet + Phone + TV/Film + Mobile(cell) phone as the holy grail.

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #33 on: January 01, 2016, 07:34:28 PM »
Jake Humphrey has two jobs - presenting football on BT Sport and co-owner of production company Whisper Film. It's in the latter capacity that I expect him to do Channel 4 F1 coverage. It would also not surprise me if this was the prelude to a Channel 4/BT Sport split of coverage in 2018 (as distinct from the BBC/Sky split that previously reigned, or Channel 4/Sky that exists now).

Football coverage mostly got cut by the BBC last decade (one such cutback was what enabled them to get the F1 coverage when ITV bailed out in order to buy Champions League coverage). The two parts the BBC still has are partial coverage of the two big international tournaments (the Euros and World Cup) and "Match of the Day" - a highlights show covering the best bits of all English League football (and, in Scotland, Scottish League football too). The latter will survive any number of cutbacks - even if the entire Sport department was canned, they'd find a way to fund it through "Entertainment" or something, because it's that much of a lynchpin for part of its audience.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline Ian

« Reply #34 on: January 01, 2016, 08:50:43 PM »
BT Sport is the best one for rugby, loads of it.  :good:
An aircraft landing is just a controlled crash.

Offline Irisado

« Reply #35 on: January 15, 2016, 04:02:00 PM »
Channel 4 have made an investment into Whisper Films. The latter is a production company owned by Jake Humphrey, David Coulthard and former BBC F1 producer Sunil Patel. I guess that's 2/3 of the presenting team decided!

I'd say that's pretty conclusive.  We now just need a formal announcement.

Eddie Jordan gets a lot of stick for his presentation, but his voice overs for the BBC's introduction sequences and his predictions about driver moves were spot on.  My view is that there's a lot to be said for retaining the BBC's presentation team to as great an extent as possible.
Soņando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle