collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 350
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11253 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Refuelling Back on the Agenda Yet Again  (Read 4688 times)

Offline Monty

Re: Refuelling Back on the Agenda Yet Again
« Reply #30 on: February 11, 2016, 02:50:39 PM »
If we truly want that, and in a very general way, I am with you, then we need to stop waving the blue flag all of the time.  I watch a lot of racing and Formula 1 is the only series where the blue flag is used to any great extent.  If faster cars stack up behind a slower car, over-taking the slower cars without one's self being over-taken should be part of racing.

I agree and believe me I could produce a long list of things that are not right about F1. I just don't want yet another bad decision (bringing back refuelling) to make things even worse!

Offline Irisado

« Reply #31 on: February 18, 2016, 03:50:31 PM »
Regardless of whether there is agreement about safety (there isn't, because I remain very unconvinced about the argument that it can be made safe enough), I have yet to see any persuasive evidence that bringing back refuelling will spice up the show.  All that will happen is that drivers will 'wait for the stops' and try to do all their overtaking in the pit lane.  Yes, this happens now to some extent with the undercut approach to tyre stops, but it would be even worse with refuelling being introduced.

If we want to have better racing, the teams have to stop messing around and sit down with the FIA and change the aero rules.  That's the only way to improve the show sufficiently in my opinion.
Soņando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline Scott

« Reply #32 on: February 18, 2016, 08:20:48 PM »
No and no.  First of all, how many injuries have their been from fire in the pits over the decades?  I think you can count on one hand.  That doesn't make it very dangerous.

Secondly, changing fuel levels bring plenty of variations on strategy for length of stints, length of stops and tire degradation that weren't available with the no refuelling, plus with no refuelling the car simply got lighter towards the end, so the FL was always in the last 3 laps.  I like the strategy.  I like the pit to driver info, I like the fact that the team, especially the pit wall, has a direct affect on race results.  I like team vs team racing.  The more factors available to make the right call or the wrong one makes or breaks plenty of teams races, including boosting the occasional back marker with a bold strategy into sniffing distance of a podium.  It used to happen, but that was back with refuelling.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #33 on: February 19, 2016, 03:03:23 PM »
No and no.  First of all, how many injuries have their been from fire in the pits over the decades?  I think you can count on one hand.  That doesn't make it very dangerous.

Secondly, changing fuel levels bring plenty of variations on strategy for length of stints, length of stops and tire degradation that weren't available with the no refuelling, plus with no refuelling the car simply got lighter towards the end, so the FL was always in the last 3 laps.  I like the strategy.  I like the pit to driver info, I like the fact that the team, especially the pit wall, has a direct affect on race results.  I like team vs team racing.  The more factors available to make the right call or the wrong one makes or breaks plenty of teams races, including boosting the occasional back marker with a bold strategy into sniffing distance of a podium.  It used to happen, but that was back with refuelling.

Just because there has been no conflagration in the pits doesn't mean we need to wait for one to declare fueling unsafe.  However, I agree that banning refueling solely on safety issues seems a little silly.

The real reason for the ban was to encourage on track action.  Some of us do quite enjoy the long term strategic approach that refueling brings to the sport.  There are other people who want to see wheel to wheel racing.  As long as you can beat someone in the pits, why would you risk contact on the track?  Eliminating that option forces drivers to take chances on track.  In theory.

I think that having the cars loaded heavy at the beginning leads to LESS overtaking opportunities.  We've seen in the refueling days that some cars would start super light, and slice through the field.  That option is gone.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle