collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 326
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 2
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11253 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Halos & Canopies in Light of Melbourne Shunt  (Read 4212 times)

Offline cosworth151

Halos & Canopies in Light of Melbourne Shunt
« on: March 23, 2016, 12:44:48 PM »
Alonso's terrifying crash at Melbourne forces a rethink of the halos/canopies discussion. Alonso was extremely lucky that his head didn't contact the ground or the wall. It could have been a repeat of the Dan Wheldon tragedy.

On the other hand, a canopy would have trapped Alonso in the car. Look at the pictures below. He would have had no quick way out in case of a fire.

This has just confirmed my opposition to the canopies. The halo might not be such a bad idea. It looks to me like a good balance between impact protection and ease of escape.

What do the rest of you all think about it?

“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
Re: Halos & Canopies in Light of Melbourne Shunt
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2016, 01:02:23 PM »
Hate the idea of either, :stop: :nono:     but if they must have one I'd say Halo.

Instead of over reacting to the crash he walked away from they should be looking at just what one of the best and most experienced drivers was up to doing a Grosjean. 
Stewards say no further action ::)   - wonder if that would stick if it was Maldonado or wrecker Roman causing the same shunt? >:(     

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Online Jericoke

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2016, 01:43:16 PM »
Have we seen a demonstration of how easily the halo comes away?

If it comes away with the ease of the head rest it should be okay.  Any time a car is inverted, or lodged against a barrier there's a risk of the driver being trapped regardless of safety features.

I DO think that Alonso's wreck is a good example of why the gravel traps aren't safe.

vintly

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2016, 01:54:18 PM »
As much as I don't like large tarmac run-off areas I agree with Jeri about the safety of gravel-traps.

Halos or canopies - neither for me.

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2016, 02:40:06 PM »
I absolutely agree about the gravel traps. Long past time for them to go away.

I've read speculation that Gutierrez was checking his settings at the time. I've watched the replay and can't really tell. Maybe a result of the radio ban.

I agree with the stewards. As we say over here, just one of them racin' deals.

I'm not a fan of the halos, but I now believe that something needs to be done before we loose another driver. So far, the halo looks like the best alternative.

« Last Edit: March 24, 2016, 11:27:25 AM by cosworth151 »
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Online Jericoke

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2016, 07:14:28 PM »
I absolutely agree about the gravel traps. Long past time for them to go away.

I've read speculation that Gutierrez was checking his settings at the time. I've watched the replay and can't really tell. Maybe a result of the radio ban.

I'm not a fan of the halos, but I now believe that something needs to be done before we loose another drive. So far, the halo looks like the best alternative.

Lack of radio communication as a safety issue?

Maybe upgrade the super liscence to require being able to monitor race car settings in racing conditions.

I agree the halo doesn't look great, but hopefully they'll figure out a way to make them look better.  I don't know what strength they're required to be, perhaps plexiglass will be enough?

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2016, 08:12:12 PM »

All the accounts of the Stewards findings I've read say neither driver was to blame. :confused:   How can that be???????????? :DntKnw:   
If no one did anything wrong how could such a shunt have taken place??? :crazy:    In the absence of any other cause the driver behind must be at fault if he runs into the car in front. 
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Scott

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2016, 08:48:58 PM »
The way his car was leaning up against the wall made me first think of Greg Moores fatal accident.  So glad it wasn't a repeat.  I like the halo, though not sure which version would be best. 

I'm pretty sure Alonso was at fault, he as much admitted it afterward.  But glad there is no penalty.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2016, 08:20:36 PM »
It looked to me like a mutual misunderstanding... ...which is part of racing, especially at high speed. Initially, I was puzzled as to why anyone would put a plank leaning on the tyre wall in the background of Gutierrez's crash... ...and then it became apparent that around it was a pre-crushed McLaren, with Fernando (thankfully) on a nearby bit of ground, looking a bit winded but otherwise OK. It brought the similarly scary crash he had in Brazil 2003 to mind.

I'm not worried about the halo trapping a driver (at least, no more than usual). I am worried of what would happen if the halo shattered. At that level of accident, you'd have to make the halo out of almost pure Xylon to keep it in one piece, which would cause its own problems as that material basically assumes the pressure will come from one direction. The halo has to protect from two directions - upwards and sidewards...
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline Andy B

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2016, 09:03:48 AM »
Theres no evidence that the Halo would have remained intact during the crash with could have then could have had other repercussions  and is it possible that Halo could have impeded Alonso's egress from the car? Many questions to answer!
Once you have retired every day is a Saturday!

Offline Scott

« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2016, 01:16:42 PM »
They aren't talking about making it out of brittle carbon fibre, it will be part of the virtually indestructible driver cockpit, likely made of a high tensile metal - the one they had at the tests was just a carbon mock-up for visual testing.   

Being able to safely exit the car was not the question for Alonso's crash - the car could just as easily have been more up against the wall, and in that case he wouldn't have been able to get out very easily, even without the halo.  His car wasn't on fire, so again, it wasn't even an issue in this case.

I agree there are a lot of questions to ask, but I'm still on the pro halo side of this question.   
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2016, 11:07:28 PM »
They aren't talking about making it out of brittle carbon fibre, it will be part of the virtually indestructible driver cockpit, likely made of a high tensile metal - the one they had at the tests was just a carbon mock-up for visual testing.   

Being able to safely exit the car was not the question for Alonso's crash - the car could just as easily have been more up against the wall, and in that case he wouldn't have been able to get out very easily, even without the halo.  His car wasn't on fire, so again, it wasn't even an issue in this case.

I agree there are a lot of questions to ask, but I'm still on the pro halo side of this question.

Xylon is the material used to give the survival cells their primary strength. It's the strongest material used in a F1 car.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle