collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 497
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11274 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Merc & McLaren Aero Changes in China  (Read 4195 times)

Offline cosworth151

Merc & McLaren Aero Changes in China
« on: April 21, 2016, 01:29:06 PM »
I remember a few seasons ago when we played "Where's Waldo?" spotting all of the aero changes made by the teams for each race. It's still going on, just in a far more subtle fashion.

Here's a quick look at the new aero used at the Chinese GP by Mercedes and McLaren:

“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Scott

Re: Merc & McLaren Aero Changes in China
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2016, 05:35:27 PM »
Hope they don't hit a rabbit this season or there it'll be sliced and diced into a bunny Julienne.   :D :D

I still think front wing aero is over rated, and most drivers could drive fast enough with a cleverly angled plank out front.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2016, 06:01:18 PM »
Hope they don't hit a rabbit this season or there it'll be sliced and diced into a bunny Julienne.   :D :D

I still think front wing aero is over rated, and most drivers could drive fast enough with a cleverly angled plank out front.

It would be an amazing way to cut costs. 

I suppose as long as the teams are allowed to design their own chassis, there will be aerodynamicists at work though.   :DntKnw:

Offline Andy B

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2016, 12:44:08 AM »
I think there should be more emphasis on mechanical grip than aero which would make the cars easier to follow and they'll move around more.
Once you have retired every day is a Saturday!

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2016, 09:42:29 AM »

To give credence to Scott's point that front wing aero is overrated Vettel finished the last race with a heavily damaged front wing but was not aware of any major change in his car's handling. In fact he is reported as saying that he was actually unaware of the damage. 

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Andy B

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2016, 09:23:11 AM »
I understand what Scott is saying but the turbulence that is generated in the wake of the car by design to upset the airflow to following cars so if aero was reduced so would the disturbed airflow and the cars would be able to run closer together.
That's my theory anyhow.  ;)
Once you have retired every day is a Saturday!

Offline Scott

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2016, 12:22:24 PM »
For aesthetics, it would be best to put one plank at the front and another at the back and mount them to cigar shaped cars.  That would be ideal  :P

Offline J.Clark

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2016, 04:15:49 PM »
I agree with putting more emphasis on mechanical grip.

I also agree, if what I am hearing, some more standardization in aero-packages was instituted, perhaps such as in the Indy Series, it would cut down on the turbulence problem. 

Additionally, if they were to do that, it would be a fairly large savings I imagine, simply from the wind tunnel and design times involved in what they are doing presently.  They could still have DRS, but otherwise, the wings would be more or less the same for everyone.
Life is short - live each day to the fullest.

Offline Scott

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2016, 08:19:29 PM »
It's a fine line to keep it from becoming a spec series, and I can understand the technical desire to let the aero guys go nuts on every piece of car they are allowed to work on, but I agree J.Clark that they need to standardize some portion of the front and back of the car to reduce the turbulence so cars can get close to each other.   

I also like Vintly's idea (another thread) of throwing out the brake regulations and create some new ones that require much longer braking to allow overtaking in more corners.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle