collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 351
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11253 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Verstappen takes Kyvat Red Bull F1 seat from next race  (Read 8122 times)

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
Verstappen takes Kyvat Red Bull F1 seat from next race
« on: May 05, 2016, 09:52:49 AM »
Shock news more about Max poaching than Daniil censure? 

http://en.f1i.com/news/53728-confirmed-verstappen-replaces-kvyat-red-bull.html
« Last Edit: May 05, 2016, 09:56:00 AM by John S »

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Steve A.

Re: Verstappen takes Kyvat Red Bull F1 seat from next race
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2016, 10:14:33 AM »
A bit harsh on Kvyat,  but it was probably on the cards anyway and the Russian GP was just the catalyst.

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2016, 12:12:50 PM »
Max is a far better driver. He deserves the better car. Hopefully it will make the Kyvakaze think a moment before he starts playing bumper cars again.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2016, 03:58:09 PM »
I know that the RBR/STR relationship is relatively unique in F1 history, but have we ever had drivers trade seats mid season?  We've had replacements, and musical chairs, but have we ever had a straight swap?

Offline Scott

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2016, 07:37:45 PM »
Might not be that much of a demotion with the Ferrari engine in it. 

I feel sorry for Kvyat, and especially any hint that it all has to do with him hitting Horner's former golden boy.  As I said in chat, what probably happened is he lost all front downforce after the first shunt and wing loss and so when he was too close the second time, he probably didn't realize he essentially only had rear brakes.

We don't see the telemetry, so simply based on early season telemetry, there could have been a very good reason to swap the drivers though - we'll never know.

Watch out for Russia to send a few drones to Austria though... ;)
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Online Dare

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2016, 08:38:03 PM »
I don't think Kyvat is being punished but Red
Bull is trying to secure Max before Ferrari or
Mercedes nabs him.But with how easily contracts
are broken are they really locking him in as a future
star driver?
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

vintly

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2016, 10:00:14 AM »
A bit harsh on Kvyat,  but it was probably on the cards anyway and the Russian GP was just the catalyst.

There it is in a nutshell.

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2016, 03:15:32 PM »
Will Buxton with a few good points on Red Bull's history of sacking drivers:

http://www.racer.com/more/viewpoints/item/129201-buxton-red-bull-chopping-block-cuts-deep
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Scott

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2016, 07:46:40 PM »
Good article.  Buxton has a bit of a boner for Max though.  Personally I think Ricciardo will not get pushed too hard by Verstappen.  I agree that Kvyat's career is all but over though.

Offline Monty

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2016, 12:17:32 PM »
Although not mentioned in the article, I think there is strong evidence that Marko supports drivers that he likes (irrespective of outright talent). However, there is also evidence that Marko stops liking people very easily. I do not care either way - I'm not a fan of Kvyat or Verstappen. What I would point out is that Verstappen has possibly had more accidents than Kvyat and some of his accidents were really stupid. People say that Verstappen is a good driver but they then qualify by saying "for his age". I have not seen signs that he is a better driver than many others in the sport. He was very good but he did not 'excel' in lower ranks. I think he is there because of his Dad - which is fair enough because a lot of drivers are in the sport because of factors like money rather than talent. One clear fact is that this is another clear example of the truly awful way that Marko treats drivers - he seems to have no respect for people or their contracts!

Offline Scott

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2016, 12:49:19 PM »

Not quite a nutshell, it looks more like this was a move to secure Verstappen to a long term contract with the big team.  They could have lost him at the end of this season if they didn't do something right away.  Kvyat was just a pawn.

vintly

« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2016, 01:36:03 PM »

Not quite a nutshell, it looks more like this was a move to secure Verstappen to a long term contract with the big team.  They could have lost him at the end of this season if they didn't do something right away.  Kvyat was just a pawn.

Yes agreed, it wasn't just because it was on the cards for the future, there were others sniffing around. I bet they were sniffing around after his first few races last year.

The four RB / TR drivers are all incredibly good for their ages I think, it's phenomenal really. The future's bright I think.

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2016, 02:54:04 PM »
Max V's fellow F1 drivers Christijan Albers, Jan Lammers and Giedo Van der Garde weigh in:

http://autoweek.com/article/formula-one/van-der-garde-verstappen-had-seize-red-bull-f1-opportunity
― Bob Dylan

Offline Scott

« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2016, 03:35:07 PM »
I'm with Giedo...Max has a much tougher teammate than he had at STR.  Seriously doubt he'll very often get close enough to scream at the team to get Ricciardo out of his way.  ;) :D :D

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2016, 04:08:25 PM »
Although not mentioned in the article, I think there is strong evidence that Marko supports drivers that he likes (irrespective of outright talent). However, there is also evidence that Marko stops liking people very easily.

Couldn't agree more, look how Alguersuari got pushed out by Marko after 2011 season that saw him getting better and better. Apparently Jaime got in Vettel's way and held him up in a session - Marko blew his top.   
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle