collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 510
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11275 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Classic British Car Show  (Read 5771 times)

Offline cosworth151

Classic British Car Show
« on: May 16, 2016, 02:09:32 PM »
I had to leave the Chat Room mid race during yesterday's Spanish GP. I mentioned that I was going to the annual Columbus British Car Day car show. Temperatures were in the mid 40's F (about 8C) and windy as a campaign debate, so the turnout was not as good as usual. Here are a few pix.

First, the always cheerful Austin Healey Sprite Mk I and and a few of its big brothers, the A-H 3000.

“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline cosworth151

Re: Classic British Car Show
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2016, 02:12:24 PM »
Next, the far opposite ends of the 1930's British automotive spectrum. A 1934 Morgan 3 Wheeler cyclecar and a 1935 Rolls Royce 20/25 town car:

“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2016, 02:16:23 PM »
Some more sporting equipment. first, a brace of Lotuses (Loti?) A 1974 Europa QuickSilver Special Edition and a work-in-progress Lotus Cortina. Second, a rare bird indeed. A 1954 Sunbeam Alpine Mk I. A few of its newer Alpine & Tiger cousins can be seen in the background.
― Bob Dylan

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2016, 02:18:12 PM »
Two that I have wanted since you much younger days. A Ford GT Mk III road car and a 1973 Norton Commando 850.
― Bob Dylan

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2016, 03:01:32 PM »
Looks like a fun day.  Too bad about the weather! 

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2016, 04:42:17 PM »
Wow!! Thanks Cos. Love those old Brits.
Lonny

Offline Dare

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2016, 06:12:42 PM »
like that Lotus Europa....my fav Lotus
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline Ian

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2016, 10:07:51 PM »
When I was a mad teenager on bikes, my next door neighbour was a test rider for AMC who made Norton's, Matchless etc, every now and then he had to pick a bike from the line and test it to destruction, he was raving over the big Commando, couldn't destroy it.
An aircraft landing is just a controlled crash.

Offline F1fanaticBD

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2016, 10:05:45 AM »
That gorgeous Rolls-Royce is the sexiest thing Great Britain has ever produced, other than Catherine Zeta Jones  ;)
Keep running the fast cars, you will be never out of girls

Offline Scott

« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2016, 12:53:11 PM »
I passed 2 Morgan 3 wheelers the other day near here.  Almost had an accident rubber necking.  Must have been a fun show Cos.

:good: :good: :yahoo:
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2016, 02:03:14 PM »
That gorgeous Rolls-Royce is the sexiest thing Great Britain has ever produced, other than Catherine Zeta Jones  ;)

Thanks, BD. Of course, someone of my vintage would have said Diana Rigg.  ;)  Speaking of Mrs. Peel, here's a 65 Lotus Elan S2 and a row of Jaguars.
― Bob Dylan

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2016, 02:14:27 PM »
Of course, there was entire lot full of MG's. First, some real classics: a 1953 MG YA saloon car in MG's iconic "cream cracker" cream & brown coloring, a 1948 MG TC Midget and a 1953 MG TD Midget. Next, an over view of part of the MG lot, with lots of A's, B's & C's. There was even one MGF. In the back, notice the stunningly beautiful red MG Midget Mk II. (Yes, I am struggling with rebuilding a British Racing Green Midget Mk III)
― Bob Dylan

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2016, 08:30:31 PM »
Always favored the Europa myself. My college roommate had a late model version with the Ford Twin-cam. That car was a rocket, 130 BHP in a 1700 pound car. He had to fashion his own wiring loom and completely replace the fuel system. Interestingly, the car had twin fuel tanks, one on either side so you could gas up on either side. Your butt practically scraped the ground and the windscreen extended almost overhead. Lift the rear bonnet to view the engine and it looked like someone put fenders on an F2 car. Most amazingly, on the freeway at legal speeds (which we seldom were I confess) it got nearly 50 MPG.
Lonny

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2016, 09:29:09 PM »
I've always been a fan of the Twin Cam Europa myself. They are a fine example of Chapman's philosophy of design, light, innovative and fun to drive.
― Bob Dylan

Offline F1fanaticBD

« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2016, 05:02:22 AM »
Most amazingly, on the freeway at legal speeds (which we seldom were I confess) it got nearly 50 MPG.

:o  :o How on earth a car from that era with 130 hp could manage 50mpg at any condition? Surely they didn't have the electronic sensors with nowadays helps to improve fuel efficiency, but how did they manage it then??
« Last Edit: May 21, 2016, 06:30:03 PM by F1fanaticBD »
Keep running the fast cars, you will be never out of girls

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle