collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 348
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 3
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11253 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Monaco - since 1929  (Read 10287 times)

Online cosworth151

Re: Monaco - since 1929
« Reply #30 on: May 29, 2016, 09:47:22 PM »
A mistake like that is unthinkable from a team of RBR's caliber. It makes me wonder if there is more going on with the team than we know ablut.

I think Nasr is past his sell-by date. But as we were saying in the Chat Room, how do you fire a pay driver?

Kvyat is probably heading for the off-ramp, too. Or, they could could give him Danny Ric's pit crew as punishment.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Online Dare

« Reply #31 on: May 29, 2016, 11:44:48 PM »
I think Nasr is past his sell-by date. But as we were saying in the Chat Room, how do you fire a pay driver?

Just find another pay driver,there's plenty out there
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline Scott

« Reply #32 on: May 30, 2016, 08:49:03 AM »
I'm sure there are clauses that allow it if the right circumstances are met. 
I would say "Driver-of-the-Race" has to go to Perez, just since I think I failed to mention him previously.

Ricciardo's stop - 13.6 - standing still time.
Post race with the commentators: Matchett, "You always have a set of tires ready to go on the car when it comes in, whether you were told it was coming or not."

Horner said the crew had anticipated softs, but someone called for reds at the last minute and because of Monaco's pit layout where the pit 'wall' is on top of the garage, they couldn't see in the garage to confirm what tires were waiting.  The SS were somewhere in the back of the garage.

That's a seriously weak excuse.  At the level they are at, there simply is NO excuse to not have every compound available within a couple seconds.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2016, 08:53:21 AM by Scott »
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline J.Clark

« Reply #33 on: May 30, 2016, 12:06:17 PM »

I would say "Driver-of-the-Race" has to go to Perez, just since I think I failed to mention him previously.
Horner said the crew had anticipated softs, but someone called for reds at the last minute and because of Monaco's pit layout where the pit 'wall' is on top of the garage, they couldn't see in the garage to confirm what tires were waiting.  The SS were somewhere in the back of the garage.

That's a seriously weak excuse.  At the level they are at, there simply is NO excuse to not have every compound available within a couple seconds.
[/quote]I read that article.  He also said, to his credit, that was no excuse.  They threw the race in the crapper and all but pulled the handle.  Ricciardo should have been 10 seconds ahead of Hamilton when he emerged from the pit out.
Life is short - live each day to the fullest.

Offline Scott

« Reply #34 on: May 30, 2016, 01:05:11 PM »
I completely missed the bit where he said they will take the necessary steps to ensure it only happens to Max from now on  ;) :D

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #35 on: May 30, 2016, 05:10:56 PM »
Yeah, and Hobbs had spent some time talking about how R/B was preparing for a stop. One of the NBC guys mentioned that Merc radioed Rosberg to ease up as his brakes were overheating. Whether that was true or was code for let Lewis by, who knows?
Lonny

Offline J.Clark

« Reply #36 on: May 30, 2016, 05:41:02 PM »
It may have been code for letting Lewis pass, but I don't think it was supposed to extend the courtesy to the other four who followed.

I am not sure, but did the Hulk actually get bye Nico at the finish line?

Offline J.Clark

« Reply #37 on: May 31, 2016, 02:20:03 PM »
Heads should roll over this.

http://www.formula1.com/content/fom-website/en/video/2016/5/_Where's_the_tyres___-_Relive_Red_Bull's_pit_stop_nightmare.html

My heart goes out to Ricciardo over the sham of his pit crew not being ready when he was "called" in.

Online Jericoke

« Reply #38 on: May 31, 2016, 03:02:06 PM »
Heads should roll over this.

http://www.formula1.com/content/fom-website/en/video/2016/5/_Where's_the_tyres___-_Relive_Red_Bull's_pit_stop_nightmare.html

My heart goes out to Ricciardo over the sham of his pit crew not being ready when he was "called" in.

You can't fire everyone every time they make a mistake, it will paralyze anyone from making a decision.

Certainly if a team member makes multiple mistakes (Kvyat), then it's time to make a move, but one isolated botched call isn't enough to tear the pit team apart.

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #39 on: June 04, 2016, 12:06:54 AM »
Just find another pay driver,there's plenty out there

This only works if the current pay-drivers cannot outbid them. If I had the power, I'd bench one or both of them, simply to let them cool down. As it stands... ...is Pastor Maldonado still available (at least none of the things he hit were his team-mate)?
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Online cosworth151

« Reply #40 on: June 04, 2016, 02:17:17 AM »
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #41 on: June 05, 2016, 03:56:27 PM »

Always tricky in the pits at Monaco, not enough space to keep everything to hand. Seems Danny Ric must have called the late change to SS tyres on his in lap, :DntKnw:    if it had been the strategy group at MK they should be taken out the back and shot as going to SS made no sense at all given Danny's track position. :nono:     
That RBR car is not the kindest chassis to tyres after all. 

Merc strategy was spot on and whoever called it deserves a pay rise as they usually go too cautious.

Can't say I've read anything about a real problem with Rosberg's car so I guess we, and the team, have more ammunition to show why they pay Lewis much more than Nico. Can't think Rosberg management's job has got any easier to get more pay on a renewed contract. :D 

Yeah I'd go with Perez as the driver of the day, he just pips Lewis as he did it with a car that belongs in maybe 6th or 7th rather than the 3rd he achieved.

Good points for McLaren too, shows what WDCs can do in 3rd class machinery. :D         

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Scott

« Reply #42 on: June 05, 2016, 07:36:47 PM »
I've read a couple of stories about the incident and both said the pit wall made the late change to the planned compound they decided to use.  Not sure where you got the idea that DR called for those tires John.  :DntKnw: :DntKnw: :DntKnw:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/formula-1/2016/05/29/monaco-grand-prix-screwed-daniel-ricciardo-lets-rip-at-red-bull/

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #43 on: June 05, 2016, 10:38:41 PM »
I've read a couple of stories about the incident and both said the pit wall made the late change to the planned compound they decided to use.  Not sure where you got the idea that DR called for those tires John.  :DntKnw: :DntKnw: :DntKnw:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/formula-1/2016/05/29/monaco-grand-prix-screwed-daniel-ricciardo-lets-rip-at-red-bull/

It would seem you are probably right Scott, I've just found this quote from Danny Ric on the podium at Monaco:-

"I don't even want to comment on the race, to be honest. From the outside we put on a show, but it shouldn't have been that exciting to be honest. FOr two weekends straight we've been screwed. I didn't make the call; I was called into the box. They should've been ready. It hurts. It hurts, to be honest."

However someone changed the choice from softs to supersofts after the call to pit was already called on the radio, now who was that and why??? 

Mostly the teams defer to the drivers in changeable conditions, especially when they are as experienced as Ricciardo, are we saying Danny had no input into the tyre choices they were taking on the day??? - If so I find it just a little implausible, after all the crew on the ground in the pitlane will have known that supersofts were not immediately accessible. :confused:   

note though that Danny only talks about the call, could mean just the pit in call as he acknowledges - or perhaps ??????  :DntKnw:   
So just who if not the driver on track called for different tyres that are not on hand for a car due for service in the next 20 seconds or so????????????  :DntKnw:   
Flaming incomprehensible ain't it. :confused:           
« Last Edit: June 06, 2016, 12:19:55 AM by John S »
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Scott

« Reply #44 on: June 06, 2016, 09:00:55 AM »
Wow, thanks for the 'probably'

Let's dispense with the conspiracy theories John.  I included the link so you could see Horner's comments - "Christian Horner, the Red Bull team principal, said the problem came because the compound of tyres the pitwall asked for were right at the back of the garage. It was an unusual error for a team usually so efficient in their management of the race". 

No doubt there was discussion between the driver and pit wall as to tires, but he freely admits the team's fault for the chosen tires not being ready.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle