collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 348
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11253 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Curva Grande to become F1 history after current Italian GP  (Read 2046 times)

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
Famous curve to go in redesign of Monza circuit.       :swoon:   

Is nothing sacred, even at the oldest track in F1's 66 year reign?

Monza could bypass the historic Curva Grande corner by building a new section of track including an additional chicane in 2017. Track officials are planning to replace the Rettifilio chicane with a new, high-speed configuration.

The Rettifilio chicane is the first braking point on the current layout and has existed in various formats since 1972. For next year the track organisers plan to convert it back into a straight.

Instead of negotiating the current Curva Grande, drivers will sweep through a new section including a right-hander and a chicane. The details of this change to the track were revealed in January, however at the time it was expected it would only be used for motorbikes.

But the new track design documents states there will be “no difference between the car and motorcycle configurations”. As the circuit still does not have a contract to hold F1 next year it remains to be seen whether F1 drivers will tackle the new high-speed configuration. See link for illustration of changes.

Courtesy Keith Collantine, F1fanatic.co.uk, 24th May.    

http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/monza-track-changes-2017.jpg
« Last Edit: May 25, 2016, 10:19:54 AM by John S »

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Irisado

Re: Curva Grande to become F1 history after current Italian GP
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2016, 11:46:08 PM »
I'm happy that this has yet to be confirmed, so I am hoping that they will reconsider using that layout for the Formula 1 cars, and just stick to the current one.
Soņando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2016, 05:46:53 PM »
Me too!! I hate chicanes. They are very occasionally needed when the speed at a certain point is just too much, but generally are used too often.
Lonny

Offline J.Clark

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2016, 01:24:32 AM »
What a great way to screw up a great circuit.

I hope it doesn't happen.
Life is short - live each day to the fullest.

Offline F1fanaticBD

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2016, 05:16:08 AM »
Unless there is some protest by environmentalist, instead of building a new fast section, couldn't they include the famous bank in the circuit? Why they have to think so sterile, instead of making it wild and adventurous? Racing is for those who push things on the edge, not for those who tries to play it safe  |-(
Keep running the fast cars, you will be never out of girls

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2016, 09:03:06 AM »
The banking is very rough. Combine that with high down force and the cars bottom out or even drag almost constantly. Just not possible any more.
Lonny

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2016, 12:30:53 PM »
I understand them doing it for the bikes, but there is no reason at all to do it for the cars.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Irisado

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2016, 10:48:01 AM »
They really couldn't use the banking BD.  As much as I argue for bringing back gravel traps and doing away with car park sized run off, the banking was very dangerous for Formula 1 cars.  It's best left as an historic visitor attraction, as an evocative reminder of a bygone era.
Soņando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle