collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 362
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11251 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Grand Prix du Canada '16  (Read 7379 times)

Offline Irisado

Re: Grand Prix du Canada '16
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2016, 11:09:57 AM »
I love this venue and the track.  It's beautiful to look at and tends to produce exciting racing.  The highlights package is on at 10:30pm here, which isn't great though.  I much prefer it when they show this race live.

Mercedes look dominant throughout practice so far, and I wonder whether Rosberg is going to be able to bounce back from Monaco, he's a bit behind Hamilton thus far.  Either way, I see this being a dominant weekend for Mercedes, as I cannot see Red Bull having the same level of pace as they achieved in Monaco.

Massa's accident has put him on the back foot, and I wonder whether Williams might be under pressure from Force India this weekend.
Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2016, 06:36:01 PM »
The Wall of Champions just bit Saintz in Q2.

David Hobbs just described having high speed Montreal after tight quarters Monaco as "going from the sublime to the cor blimey." Good one, Hobbo!
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline J.Clark

« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2016, 11:57:55 AM »
I was out all day yesterday and didn't even look at this or watch qualifying until late.

Here are the results and set the grid:
1.  Hamilton   Mercedes   1m 12.812
2.  Rosberg      Mercedes   1m 12.874
3.  Vettel      Ferrari   1m 12.990
4.  Ricciardo   Red Bull   1m 13.166
5.  Verstappen   Red Bull   1m 13.414
6.  Raikkonen   Ferrari   1m 13.579
7.  Bottas      Williams   1m 13.670
8.  Massa      Williams   1m 13.769
9.  Hulkenberg      Force India   1m 13.952
10. Alonso   ESP   McLaren   1m 14.338
11. Perez   X   Force India   1m 14.317
12. Button      McLaren   1m 14.437
13. Kvyat      Toro Rosso   1m 14.457
14. Gutierrez  Haas   1m 14.571
15. Grosjean  Haas   1m 14.803
16. Sainz    Toro Rosso         1m 21.956 – crashed at Wall of Champions
17. Palmer      Renault   1m 15.459
18. Wehrlein    MRT   1m 15.599
19. Ericsson   Sauber   1m 15.635
20. Nasr      Sauber   1m 16.663
21. Haryanto    MRT   1m 17.052
22. Magnussen      Renault   No time

Posting this, I am suddenly, and somewhat painfully aware of the dilemma facing Sauber.  They had shown a lot of promise.  What has happened to them to put them back in the grips of MRT race after race?

Haas doesn't appear to have the speed needed at this circuit so a points finish will require a lot of luck.

Williams showed a few brief bursts of competitive speed so I wouldn't be too surprised to see them battling with those a few spots ahead of them to finish higher than they are starting.  Both are truly in competition with each other.  They made a declaration I wasn't thinking about during qualifying, about Massa.  He is the only driver on the grid to have scored championship points in every race.  That is so nice to hear because he has had a few years where he got taken out, especially in early races.

Life is short - live each day to the fullest.

Offline Scott

« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2016, 04:24:04 PM »
Massa is apparently missing parts on his car in Canada, after his crash, they don't seem to have replacements for all the broken bits (a bit surprised...I thought Williams has the budget this year to account for everything).  Anyway, they say he may not be quite as competitive in the race as a result.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline J.Clark

« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2016, 11:06:33 PM »
I wonder if 'missing parts' was the problem in the race.  They never said why they retired his car.
Life is short - live each day to the fullest.

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2016, 01:50:49 AM »
It was nice to see a podium with drivers happy to be there!

Even in the 'cool down' room Seb and Lewis had a great chat, and it seemed like they'd enjoyed their day.

I think that's what they'd intended with this cool down room camera access, glad it finally happened.

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2016, 12:22:55 PM »
There was a funny incident in the cool down room. Somebody had to come in & remind Bottas that he'd forgotten to get weighed in. I guess he's not used to being there.   ;)
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Irisado

« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2016, 04:26:54 PM »
That race fell somewhat flat after promising much initially.

Ferrari messed up the strategy, but I still think that Hamilton had the pace to win even if they had not.  Red Bull were disappointing though, and posed little challenge for victory.  Bottas, meanwhile, did very well to take third.

Of course, had he not had the puncture, Rosberg would have finished third.  He was a bit unlucky, but considering how reliably everything has gone for him for much of the year, he cannot complain.  His battle with Verstappen was the only thing which enlivened proceedings in what was a very dull race.
Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2016, 05:22:02 PM »
I like how Vettel has handled it. In interviews, he has steadfastly refused to throw his team under the bus for making the wrong strategy call. Well done, Seb!
― Bob Dylan

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2016, 06:07:30 PM »
I like how Vettel has handled it. In interviews, he has steadfastly refused to throw his team under the bus for making the wrong strategy call. Well done, Seb!

Seb has done an amazing job of rehabilitating his image.  Last year in Montreal he got the loudest boos.  This year, I heard plenty of cheering for him.  Same guy, same crowd, different result.

Offline Scott

« Reply #25 on: June 17, 2016, 07:19:45 PM »
Seb has done an amazing job of rehabilitating his image.  Last year in Montreal he got the loudest boos.  This year, I heard plenty of cheering for him.  Same guy, same crowd, different result.

Absolutely  :good: :good:
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Irisado

« Reply #26 on: June 18, 2016, 07:02:31 PM »

Not really.  He's just become better at masking his true nature.  When things go wrong for him, he's as bad as he always was.  Just remember the outburst on team radio in Sochi and the way he disparages back markers on the radio when they do not get out of the way fast enough for him.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle