collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 474
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 2
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11275 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Rosberg to jump F1 ships & join Ferrari in 17  (Read 4960 times)

Offline Andy B

Re: Rosberg to jump F1 ships & join Ferrari in 17
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2016, 08:43:59 AM »
Thanks for that Bells welcome to GP Wizard.
You don't happen to be married to Whistles?
Once you have retired every day is a Saturday!

Offline Willy

« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2016, 03:52:33 PM »
Seems unlikely that Ferrari would want Rosberg or that he would consider a change as the Merc is by far the better car over the Ferrari.

Once Kimi has had enough, which may be very soon, I would love to see Danial Riccardo move into a Ferrari seat. He has the skills and is not being supported by RB right now.

Offline J.Clark

« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2016, 05:31:57 PM »
I agree with those who can't see Ferrari being particularly interested in Rosberg.  Furthermore, Rosberg has stated rather emphatically, that he intends to stay at Mercedes for a long time to come.
Life is short - live each day to the fullest.

Offline Steve A.

« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2016, 03:10:34 PM »
I think he would like to stay at Mercedes for a long time but not sure that will be his choice, although I think they will need a decent German driver to replace him.

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2016, 09:03:35 PM »
I think he would like to stay at Mercedes for a long time but not sure that will be his choice, although I think they will need a decent German driver to replace him.

I think that Mercedes is learning what Ferrari, Prost and McLaren learned:  running a 'national' team is bad for business.

Obviously a team wants the best available drivers, and it's hard to argue against Rosberg and Hamilton being the best pair in the sport, but hiring a driver so that only one anthem plays when they win doesn't seem to help.

(Naturally, I think this would be different for any team based in a non traditional F1 country. If Force India were to win with an Indian Driver, or Haas with an American driver, it would be a great boon to the sport)

Offline Monty

« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2016, 08:40:51 AM »
I'm not sure the established teams have ever worried about the nationality of their drivers. They certainly worry about how the driver will be judged by their customers, sponsors, etc. but not what nationality they have - and in truth I doubt the fans care much. Look at Valentino Rossi in Moto GP - he has more fans at every race than any other rider.

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2016, 03:00:14 PM »
I'm not sure the established teams have ever worried about the nationality of their drivers. They certainly worry about how the driver will be judged by their customers, sponsors, etc. but not what nationality they have - and in truth I doubt the fans care much. Look at Valentino Rossi in Moto GP - he has more fans at every race than any other rider.

When Schumacher was the top driver in F1, the sport was wildly popular in Germany. 

Similarly, Alonso and Spain.

Notice that after Schumacher retired, F1 in Germany has slipped, and as Alonso drifts lower in the standings, so does Spanish F1 interest.

Italians are going to love Ferrari no matter who drives.  They won't love them more if an Italian is behind the wheel, so it makes sense to gain fans in other countries.  Remember, for Ferrari this is an exercise in selling cars (yes, it was not always this way).

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2016, 05:11:33 PM »
When Ferrari was alive, he always tried to hire Italian drivers. Guys like Bandini, Scarfioti, Mezario were among those he attempted to use.
Lonny

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2016, 10:23:14 PM »
When Ferrari was alive, he always tried to hire Italian drivers. Guys like Bandini, Scarfioti, Mezario were among those he attempted to use.

That's how he got into the sport, supporting Italian drivers.

I'm not suggesting things have changed for the better, but it's a business, and you can generate interest in a 'non traditional' market, then why not?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle