collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 546
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16159 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11276 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Palmer complains that yellows ruin Q1  (Read 1172 times)

Offline Monty

Palmer complains that yellows ruin Q1
« on: June 22, 2016, 01:52:18 PM »
I see Jolyon is reported as blaming Hamilton for pushing too hard during Q1 un-necessarily and the resultant yellows ruined runs for the smaller teams. He has probably been quoted out of context but this does raise an issue that annoys me.
With the qualifying sessions being so time and tyre limited I have always felt that small incidents cause a disproportionate amount of damage to the qualifying of other cars.
Surely with the timing technology available there must be a method of allowing 'extra-time' to compensate for the time lost by incidents such as off-circuit excursions. Possibly not on an exact one-for-one ratio but, if say there are more than two yellow periods in any one session enough time for an additional pit stop, warm-up lap and fast lap is added to that session. It might even liven-up qualifying with all of the cars out for one last 'banzi' lap.

Offline cosworth151

Re: Palmer complains that yellows ruin Q1
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2016, 02:08:39 PM »
I wonder if the main concern of the powers-that-be is squeezing it into the preset TV time block, not the quality of the racing.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Jericoke

Re: Palmer complains that yellows ruin Q1
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2016, 03:17:35 PM »
It's part of the show.

In theory any one can be caught out by a yellow flag at the wrong time.  We don't often see top cars eliminated in Q1 but it has happened, and provides a far more interesting race.

The same with engine/gearbox penalties.

It is true that these elements disproportionately affect weaker teams, but that's the price of being part of a specator sport.  If you want pure racing, stick to Friday nights at the local track.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle