collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 368
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11253 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: The British Grand Prix 2016  (Read 11867 times)

Offline Dare

Re: The British Grand Prix 2016
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2016, 03:38:00 AM »
Take the radio's out of the cars all together.....if you
get a penalty for using them what purpose do they serve?
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline Ian

« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2016, 07:10:31 AM »
I wish these race reports would all agree with each other, some reports say Rosberg demoted to 3rd, others say to 4th.  :DntKnw:
An aircraft landing is just a controlled crash.

Offline Monty

« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2016, 11:10:33 AM »
Rosberg down to 3rd - now just 1point ahead of Hamilton.
Horner summed it up perfectly - the rule is ridiculous but it is the rule.
I can't believe Mercedes are going to waste time appealing. It was obvious to all of us that it was 'coaching'! If they had given one simple command "Driver default 1-0-1" perhaps they could have persuaded the Stewards that it was to avoid a safety critical failure and therefore within the rules. However, the actual radio traffic became a 'conversation':-
Rosberg: “Gearbox problem.”
Engineer: “Driver default 1-0-1, chassis default 0-1, chassis default 0-1.”
Engineer: “Avoid seventh gear, Nico, avoid seventh gear.”
Rosberg: “What does that mean, I have to shift through it?”
Engineer: “Affirm Nico, you need to shift through it. Affirm, you need to shift through it.”
That was clearly coaching and therefore in breach of the rules. Probably 10seconds was a fairly lenient penalty.
While on the subject of ridiculous rules:
How can it be sensible to only give Vettel a 5second time penalty for forcing another car off the track but Palmer a 10second stop & go penalty (totalling about 25seconds on the road) because the team released an unsafe car - the poor guy had already lost 45seconds because of the release!
NB: for the record I do not think Vettel should have been penalised at all considering the conditions (although perhaps the team should have told him to immediately give back the place).

« Last Edit: July 11, 2016, 12:44:33 PM by monty »

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2016, 01:32:57 PM »
The enforcement of the out-of-bounds regs was ridiculously random at Silverstone. In Q3, the stewards took down Lewis's first timed lap for having all four wheels over the line. In Q1, K-Mag did the same thing on the same corner and the lap was let stand. That bumped Button down to P16 & out of Q2. Kimi had a similar out of bounds in Q2 & the lap was allowed.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline J.Clark

« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2016, 02:28:14 PM »
I like the out of bounds, but it needs to be consistent and that includes all corners, not selected ones like they did.  It was quite confusing, even to the commentators.

The race behind Hamilton was fun to watch, as several battles were going on.
Life is short - live each day to the fullest.

Offline Monty

« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2016, 02:41:09 PM »
The enforcement of the out-of-bounds regs was ridiculously random at Silverstone.
:good:
We have discussed this before - unfortunately the FIA do not read our advice!
The track limits should be treated as if there is a barrier just the other side of the white line but it is nonsense to have stewards looking at every car on every corner. This is F1 - pinnacle of technology. Use the available technology to cut power if the car crosses the white line (Palmersport already have this at the Bedford Autodrome Circuit).
For F1, a system could make sure that as soon as the car fully exceeds track limits the rain light would come on and the power is cut by 50% for three seconds. It would become obvious what has happened and the driver would be penalised enough to make sure he doesn't do it again.

Offline Scott

« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2016, 03:08:46 PM »
For F1, a system could make sure that as soon as the car fully exceeds track limits the rain light would come on and the power is cut by 50% for three seconds. It would become obvious what has happened and the driver would be penalised enough to make sure he doesn't do it again.
  Easy peasy...tie it in to the pit lane limiter and there is hardly even any software to write.  Use GPS for car position or go low tech and use doggie invisible fence tech...can even shock the driver's backside as an added bonus.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Ian

« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2016, 03:29:30 PM »
 :DD  :DD Great idea Scott.  :good:
An aircraft landing is just a controlled crash.

Offline Monty

« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2016, 03:34:27 PM »
Easy peasy...tie it in to the pit lane limiter and there is hardly even any software to write.
This could need the driver to reset the system back to normal race mode....oh hang on, then some of them would need banned radio messages to tell them what to do.  :fool:

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2016, 07:28:29 PM »
I think the solution to pit radios is much simpler. Just stop allowing the driver to adjust the car. Or, give him a sway/roll bar adjustment, brake bias adjustment and a 2 step performance/economy engine adjustment. Personally I would prefer the driver to drive the car full distance in the mode it was in on the grid.
Lonny

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #25 on: July 11, 2016, 07:33:13 PM »
And I think Vettel deserved his penalty. The NBC replay showed he made no attempt to turn into the corner. As Hobbs said, If you want the car to turn, you have to turn the wheels.
Lonny

Offline F1fanaticBD

« Reply #26 on: July 11, 2016, 10:06:34 PM »
I guess radio message penalty tool so long to decide because it is first time after the introduction of the rule, where penalty would be handed over to the driver. Being first time I guess most of the time was spend engaging how much severe the penalty would be served.

The while-line issue seems very inconsistent and biased. If they want to implement a system, it should not have qualities mentioned above, actually they must prevent these sort of occurrence.
Keep running the fast cars, you will be never out of girls

Offline Warmwater

« Reply #27 on: July 11, 2016, 10:33:06 PM »
I have demoted to 3rd.....

It was the team that made the troublesome radio message, not the driver, so in a reasonable world the team should have championship points deducted, not giving the driver a penalty. Especially since he did not build, service, or design the transmission, or (presumably) did not actually acknowledge that he heard or used the information.
Why not just eliminate the use of radios entirely (no texting either)!  :stop:
If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough.” ― Mario Andretti.

Offline Monty

« Reply #28 on: July 12, 2016, 08:19:37 AM »
At least Mercedes have withdrawn the pointless appeal.

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #29 on: July 12, 2016, 10:48:31 AM »
The enforcement of the out-of-bounds regs was ridiculously random at Silverstone. In Q3, the stewards took down Lewis's first timed lap for having all four wheels over the line. In Q1, K-Mag did the same thing on the same corner and the lap was let stand. That bumped Button down to P16 & out of Q2. Kimi had a similar out of bounds in Q2 & the lap was allowed.

Just for info K Mag did have a lap deleted for exceeding track limits at Copse, which is where Lewis went off as well. The lap that stood for K Mag to get trough to Q2 had him off the track at Woodcote - which the marshals/stewards were ignoring for some reason as plenty of drivers ran wide there. I reckon they decided there were not enough personnel, or hours in the day, to police the whole track so they just concentrated on certain corners. Bring back gravel beyond the kerbs - failing that put some of them sausage kerbs from Austria in.

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle