collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 618
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11275 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Hamilton on the Current Engine Rules.  (Read 2361 times)

Offline cosworth151

Hamilton on the Current Engine Rules.
« on: August 31, 2016, 10:29:51 PM »
Current WDC Lewis Hamilton thinks most fans don't care about the current, complex engine regulations.

"What do I think to the actual rule? The fact we have six components of an engine and mismatch [of component usage], I don't think it's great," said Hamilton. "People watching don't care about that.

"It's far too technical, far too complicated. Most people watching don't know what an MGU-H is and don't bloody care."

Amen to that! It's just another case of high tech gone wild.

http://www.racer.com/f1/item/133725-hamilton-fans-don-t-care-about-high-tech-pus

“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Warmwater

Re: Hamilton on the Current Engine Rules.
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2016, 02:11:13 AM »
Other than churning out and burning up vast sums of money, I don't really know what F1 is supposed to be.
There was a time that a few dedicated fellows would sketch some ideas on a paper napkin,  drag out the welding equipment, and try to build a faster car than the other guys. Some were quite sophisticated and some were more daring with new ideas. Not many rules to interfere with their imaginations and unique creations.
We now seem to be at the opposite end of the rainbow. Hundreds of engineers, mechanics, and lawyers seem to be needed to create cars that look identical and lap at virtually equal speeds. A maximum of 20 employees per team would be great!
Danger has been mostly eliminated for drivers, pit crews, and spectators. This is probably a good thing but excitement has also been eliminated. The tracks have also been tamed to the point of boredom.
Having said all that, F1 probably (with the possible exception of fighter jets) is the epitome of technology and should stay that way. But most of the rules should be relaxed or eliminated, far too much restrictive interference.
If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough.” ― Mario Andretti.

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2016, 03:33:19 AM »
I'm sure fans don't care about angles of attack, diffuser configurations, carbon brake thickness etc.

It's not just the engines.

However, while fans don't care about these things, they are what makes the sport tick.  There was a serious danger of deep pocketed teams running away with everything, and strangling anyone who doesn't own a car factory out of the sport entirely.  The rules had to change, and given how many new investors we've had in F1, I think the rules are working.

Offline Monty

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2016, 08:24:52 AM »
Money is the route to all evil - so I'm told! Something had to be done to reduce costs and where there are rules people will always find ways around them. To be fair I think there are signs that from a technical point of view F1 is improving (although it was at a very low base!). In my opinion the remaining and biggest problems are still the promoter and the FIA. The continuous threats hanging over circuit owners must restrict progress, the absurd decisions to give races to the tracks with the most money (irrespective of if the track is really suitable for F1), the lack of respect they show us the spectators, bad rules and then, even worse, the inconsistency of how those rules are applied. All of these things are stopping F1 from reaching the popularity it used to have.
Assuming they do not reduce the access of TV coverage still further I will continue to watch and keep hoping things improve - I am currently cautiously optimistic about next years cars.

Offline Scott

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2016, 09:36:39 PM »
Ted Kravitz had a great idea at Spa.  Instead of stopping the grid penalties at the back of the grid, keep measuring back. If there are more penalties, keep measuring back the distance of more spots.  Paint a line and there you go Lewis/Jenson/Fernando...that is your grid box 100m or so behind the field.  :tease: :tease:
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Steve A.

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2016, 09:31:00 AM »
That would be a good idea, they will get clean air and will be on the pack quickly. At least the penalties will mean something and give the fans something to watch.

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2016, 09:48:46 AM »
  Paint a line and there you go Lewis/Jenson/Fernando...that is your grid box 100m or so behind the field.  :tease: :tease:

Just how do you and Ted propose they see the lights for the start?

It's hard enough at some circuits for guys at the back with the lights - need to add a drive thru to their penalties as well because they'll probably jump the start, I'm pretty sure there's no sensors that far back. :D   
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Scott

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2016, 04:12:25 PM »
Audible tone on lights out...pretty simple.  Like DH said, it would be an extra bonus for the fans to see them scream by trying to catch the pack.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Merc were the team practically demanding the current engine regs as a condition of them returning to the sport.  So why are they the ones to completely and blatantly abuse those rules, at leads in spirit?  Swapping out three engines over a race weekend so they could be used for the rest of the season penalty free?  Geez...
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline J.Clark

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2016, 08:28:01 PM »
In a few words, it bothers me with the system that allows penalties that, while they may add up to a significant number, they are "erased" at the end of the race weekend during which they were incurred.

If they were truly enforced, and in the way I believe they were most likely intended, it would mean that the number 55 would be significant.  If they were cumulative, Hamilton would be starting P-22 in this race (again) and from P-11 in Singapore.

As it is, they are essentially meaningless; although, it does make for at least one interesting race - sort of.  Spa wasn't that exciting because of the Red Flag that bunched up the field, making Hamilton's job of catching the front of the pack much easier.
Life is short - live each day to the fullest.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle