collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 591
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11275 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Bernie gone by Singapore?  (Read 2267 times)

Offline Scott

Bernie gone by Singapore?
« on: September 04, 2016, 12:19:15 PM »
EJ just said that something called Liberty Media is about to take a "significant" shareholding in F1, and with that will bring a new FOM CEO

...wow, if it's true.

I never thought Bernie would leave until his cold dead hands were pried from the reigns of F1.

The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Jericoke

Re: Bernie gone by Singapore?
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2016, 02:34:31 PM »
I dunno.

I remember last time he stepped away, basically screwed over a dozen parties, ended up back in charge with more money than ever.

Online cosworth151

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2016, 02:59:09 PM »
As Bernie has said before, don't believe anything until the money is in the bank.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Scott

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2016, 08:25:21 AM »

Offline Monty

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2016, 09:11:04 AM »
An 'entertainment company' owning F1 could be good I guess. I do not know anything about Chase Carey (apart from his obvious liking for questionable facial hair!). His CV suggests he is a good business man but I assume he has no motor racing connections and of course being American he will know nothing about F1 (I'm now cowering in a corner laughing  ;) )

Offline Scott

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2016, 11:04:23 AM »
....and of course being American he will know nothing about F1 (I'm now cowering in a corner laughing  ;) )

Thay fergot t'put fenders on them cars!   ;) ;)

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2016, 06:24:32 PM »
Excuse me? Some of us on here might be offended by that!!
 |-(
Lonny

Offline Scott

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2016, 07:07:18 PM »
Excuse me? Some of us on here might be offended by that!!
 |-(

Oh SORRY, people make fun of us sorry Canadians all the time  ;) ;)

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2016, 08:40:36 PM »
No! Really?!

:P
Lonny

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2016, 03:37:27 PM »
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Online cosworth151

« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2016, 03:43:11 PM »
Bernie is also saying that he might not accept their contract:

http://autoweek.com/article/formula-one/bernie-ecclestone-not-committing-any-new-f1-ownership-group

If Rotten Rupert & Fox are involved, I don't blame him. That will also probably mean that we here in the States will loose NBC's excellent (and available on basic cable) F1 coverage & go back to Fox's horrible & unavailable stuff again.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Scott

« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2016, 04:23:03 PM »
Regarding John and Cos's posts...

The ESPN quotes tell me two things.  One, that Bernie won't be in Singapore, just like EJ predicted, and two - "asked to stay in Formula One for three more years" does not suggest to me that he has been asked to stay on in his current role.  Even later in the article he indicates that Carey will take over key roles that Bernie had previously.

And the Autoweek article seems to be more about if Bernie will stick around in F1 or not.  The deal WILL go through according to all reports, and Bernie only owns about 5% of the stock, so he very likely doesn't have much say at the end of the day....though Bernie has looked down for the count numerous times before.  :DntKnw:

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2016, 05:37:36 PM »
Bernie is also saying that he might not accept their contract:

http://autoweek.com/article/formula-one/bernie-ecclestone-not-committing-any-new-f1-ownership-group

If Rotten Rupert & Fox are involved, I don't blame him. That will also probably mean that we here in the States will loose NBC's excellent (and available on basic cable) F1 coverage & go back to Fox's horrible & unavailable stuff again.

I can't imagine Fox is buying the sport to bury it.  Network TV is desperate for live programming to sustain their business model against Tivo/Netflix.

Expect the 'Americanization' of the sport:  more US based races.  More American drivers.  More American sponsors. 

With any luck, we'll see races in Indy again, and hopefully embrace the 'fan experience' that the Indy GPs were famous for (and NASCAR/IndyCar do quite well).  I would also say there is a possibility of F1 racing on an oval.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle