collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 547
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11275 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Bye Bye CVC  (Read 1737 times)

Offline Scott

Bye Bye CVC
« on: September 08, 2016, 09:14:32 PM »
...don't let the door hit you on the way out.

Well, there we have it.  Liberty Media is now the new owners of F1, and the moves they make over the next year or two will cement them as either the saviours of the sport or the new enemy.  As long as they keep Bernie on a retainer, I think it will more likely be the latter. 

Being a media company, I am counting on them doing great things digitally and online.  I'm sure it will take years to sort out the crazy TV contracts they have worldwide, but if they reconfigure broadcast rights, they could also appeal to the other media companies who are hampered by Bernie's 19th century approach to online broadcasts.

http://www.espn.co.uk/f1/story/_/id/17492500/new-owners-outline-vision-f1

The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Dare

Re: Bye Bye CVC
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2016, 11:49:20 PM »
If their only half as corrupt as Bernie and his crew I'll be happy.
I pray Bernie isn't going to have any say in the new and better[I hope]
F1
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline Steve A.

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2016, 06:58:30 AM »
I think we will be hampered with Bernie for the next three years, will he drive it down then be the 'saviour' of the sport. With it wouldn't surprise me.

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2016, 12:13:16 PM »
I'm reminded of the old saying, "Be careful what you wish for." If there is anybody in the world worse than Bernie, it's Rupert Murdoch. We've traded one group of zillionares who know absolutely nothing about racing (CVC) for another group of zillionares who know absolutely nothing about racing (Fox, I mean, Liberty).

I wonder how long it will be before F1 gets "Fan Boost" like Formula E.   :sick:
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2016, 03:09:28 PM »
I'm reminded of the old saying, "Be careful what you wish for." If there is anybody in the world worse than Bernie, it's Rupert Murdoch. We've traded one group of zillionares who know absolutely nothing about racing (CVC) for another group of zillionares who know absolutely nothing about racing (Fox, I mean, Liberty).

I wonder how long it will be before F1 gets "Fan Boost" like Formula E.   :sick:

The single greatest crime in televised sports came in the 90s when Fox began broadcasting National Hockey League games.  The conventional 'wisdom' was that Americans couldn't understand hockey because they couldn't see the puck.  Since talks to replace the puck with a Frisbee mercifully went nowhere, Fox created 'Fox Trax':  a computerized hockey puck that would GLOW on TV, making it easy to see.  When the puck was shot, it would leave a 'comet tail' on the TV screen.  If the puck was shot FAST it would leave a RED comet tail.

So... while I remain optimistic until proven otherwise, I know they can't do worse than this

Offline Scott

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2016, 04:24:37 PM »
 :DD :DD :DD ...I remember that.  In Canadian living rooms across the nation, fans were collectively saying "What the F#*$???"
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Dare

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2016, 07:59:01 PM »
you mean hockey pucks don't leave red comet tails?Don't
tell me there's no Easter Bunny
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2016, 08:03:23 PM »
Fox Trax was a poor substitute for Peter Puck.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2016, 11:49:54 AM »
:DD :DD :DD ...I remember that.  In Canadian living rooms across the nation, fans were collectively saying "What the F#*$???"

Quite right too!  Everyone knows no one watches the puck they all tune in for the ramming, shoulder charging, general brawling and punch-ups. ;) :D :DD

On the post CVC question I'm on the "be careful what you wish for" side of the discussion. I'm not sure the teams at the top table will allow their monetary advantage to be diluted easily - if at all - and I think that is a big problem for any new owner trying to flex their muscles too much.

« Last Edit: September 11, 2016, 11:56:33 AM by John S »
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2016, 02:31:47 PM »

On the post CVC question I'm on the "be careful what you wish for" side of the discussion. I'm not sure the teams at the top table will allow their monetary advantage to be diluted easily - if at all - and I think that is a big problem for any new owner trying to flex their muscles too much.

Bernie's approach has always been 'divide and conquer', whereas American sports leagues tend towards a 'together we're stronger' approach pioneered by baseball in the 1910s, and perfected by football in the 1990s.

So the new guys will either double down on Bernie's approach, which means very little friction, but makes me wonder why they would buy FOM to just do the same.  If they do change tacks, they will meet resistance, but hopefully they can convince the teams of the bigger picture.

The question is:  are the big teams more interested in winning or making money.  I think that Ferrari and Mercedes make more money overall by winning F1, and may not be interested in raising the overall finances of the sport.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle