collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 602
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11275 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Massa announces F1 retirement  (Read 4748 times)

Offline Monty

Massa announces F1 retirement
« on: September 01, 2016, 03:03:09 PM »
Last year for Massa - room for Jenson. I wonder if he can be tempted. His attitude would be a perfect fit in Williams but I'm not sure their mid-pack status will be of interest to him.

Offline Irisado

Re: Massa announces F1 retirement
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2016, 03:05:30 PM »
I was about to post this, you've beaten me to the punch :P.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/37245221

It's the right time for him to go and I'm glad that he has taken the decision himself, rather than having been forced out by not having a seat to go to.  I'll be quite sad not to see him in Formula 1 any more, as he is a likeable person, and he made a very courageous comeback after being hit by that spring in qualifying at the Hungarian Grand Prix in 2009.  Hopefully, he can go out on a high.
Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2016, 05:50:38 PM »
Massa, like many current F1 drivers, had the bad luck of driving in an era of true superstars.  The F1 grid, from top to bottom is full of drivers who could with the championship with the right break.  Massa came so agonizingly close to that one break.  Any other era, he'd have been good enough to win a championship, but he just wasn't in the right machine at the right time.

It is a loss to see him go, but a pleasure to have been able to enjoy his career.

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2016, 11:06:53 PM »
As Jeri said, he's a fine driver somewhat overshadowed by having teammates like Schumi. I'll be sad to see him go but still glad he's leaving while he's still a top driver. I hope he moves on to IndyCar or sports cars.

I'd like to see Jenson finish his F1 career back where it started - Williams. I think he might like it, too.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Steve A.

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2016, 10:32:53 AM »
Sad to see him go, a great embasador for the sport and a nice guy. He will be missed, as will watching his father's reactions.

Offline Scott

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2016, 04:50:15 PM »
Can't pretend I liked him now, just because he's retiring.  But he did gain grudging respect over the past few seasons while he seemed to climb down off his high horse and get on with the business of racing.  Glad there is going to be a seat open at Williams.  Button may have burned his bridges a bit early, but you never know, he might still be hungry enough to accept a Williams minimum wage deal.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2016, 07:48:11 PM »
Can't pretend I liked him now, just because he's retiring.  But he did gain grudging respect over the past few seasons while he seemed to climb down off his high horse and get on with the business of racing.  Glad there is going to be a seat open at Williams.  Button may have burned his bridges a bit early, but you never know, he might still be hungry enough to accept a Williams minimum wage deal.

Love the honesty.

Any driver who sticks around long enough is bound to evoke a variety of feelings.  They all start arrogant when they're young.  How can you not when you're labelled top 20 of anything in the world?  They don't always outgrow it, though it is pleasant to see when they do.

Offline Steve A.

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2016, 09:35:36 AM »
In one way I would love to see Button at Williams but if he can hang on at Mclaren I think Honda will really be getting their act together. I doubt they will keep JB though.

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2016, 09:56:33 AM »
In one way I would love to see Button at Williams but if he can hang on at Mclaren I think Honda will really be getting their act together. I doubt they will keep JB though.

Have to agree with that.

IMHO Nando won't want Jens there if there is a chance the car will be a real front runner, sure he says nice things about Jens but I think that masks a real fear that he can beat him.

Irony is it's the young charger Stoffel that's really likely to be Nando's Achilles heel - or has he forgotten his travails with young Lewis.
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline J.Clark

« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2016, 03:05:35 PM »
Most of you know that I have always supported Massa.

I will truly miss him.  His honesty, coupled with his seldom having a bad word for anyone, driver or otherwise, reminds me of what F1 drivers of decades past were like - gentlemen more or less.

He will always be a champion in my eyes.  He won that title in 2008, but for a stroke of luck for Hamilton in Brazil, in the wet.  Felipe had done everything possible, and was thwarted by his pit crew - on more than one occasion, Singapore being the most damaging and blatant error that not only took away an almost certain win, but took him out of the points completely.

Formula 1 will miss this guy in my opinion.

I hope he does go to Indy Cars.  I'll get to see him in Birmingham, AL when they race there, just like I got to see Rubens and JPM there, where volunteers get incredible access to the garages.
Life is short - live each day to the fullest.

Offline Scott

« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2016, 04:21:52 PM »
Jenson has apparently signed a two year deal at Mclaren in a vague role that might see him race in 2018.  He won't race next year.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/37268226
« Last Edit: September 03, 2016, 04:23:51 PM by Scott »
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Irisado

« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2016, 08:50:02 PM »
Yes, I saw that.  It reminds me a little of how Hakkinen retired in 2001, leaving room for a comeback with McLaren that never materialised.  I think that it's probably the end for Button's Formula 1 career, sadly, but if he's happy with the decision, I'm happy for him.
Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2016, 12:40:08 PM »
NBC just gave the impression that McLaren used a contract option to hang on to Jenson while giving Stoffel the seat. I can't rally see Honda being competitive any time soon so at least Button will be spared the embarrassment of still being a back marker. I'd still like to see him in a competitive car one more time.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Dare

« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2016, 12:20:04 AM »
Wonder who goes to Williams now?
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2016, 01:57:09 PM »
Wonder who goes to Williams now?

Probably somebody with a trainload of sponsor cash.
― Bob Dylan

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle