collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 324
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 2
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11253 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Massa announces F1 retirement  (Read 4666 times)

Offline Scott

Re: Massa announces F1 retirement
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2016, 02:30:17 PM »
I thought Williams didn't really need sponsor drivers these days.  They can pay for talent, their accounts should be in order after the last two seasons TV money and Martini sponsorship.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Irisado

« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2016, 08:50:50 PM »
Isn't their development driver, Lance Stroll, being considered as a possibility?
Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2016, 12:17:32 PM »
Williams is in better financial shape than it has been in quite a while. On the other hand, they don't have anything near the funding of Mercedes, Ferrari or Red Bull. Since the current rules pretty well outlaw innovation in F1, the only way to go faster is to throw tons of money at the details to gain an extra hundredth of a second or two.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Online Dare

« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2016, 01:32:03 PM »
Williams is in better financial shape than it has been in quite a while. On the other hand, they don't have anything near the funding of Mercedes, Ferrari or Red Bull. Since the current rules pretty well outlaw innovation in F1, the only way to go faster is to throw tons of money at the details to gain an extra hundredth of a second or two.

And the days of a great driver  excelling in a not so great car
are long gone.

I never cared much for Massa but it seemed to me that
in most teams he drove for the other driver always got
the better of him.I will admit I would have liked to see
him win the WDC when he lost it on the last lap.Glock should
have gotten some nice xmas presents that year
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2016, 08:32:52 PM »
I found this on the F1 site. A nice tribute:

« Last Edit: September 09, 2016, 08:34:35 PM by cosworth151 »
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2016, 12:04:12 PM »
Yeah good vid, thanks Cos. :good:   

Let's hope the memory of Felipe's career lasts longer than that of the Turkish GP. Damn, I really liked that race. :(   
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2016, 07:31:13 PM »
Lance Stroll has a trainload of sponsor cash (as well as being talented, if crash-prone). With Bottas rumoured to want to leave Williams (in his case for Renault), Williams may need someone with experience to pair with Lance. (They have Alex Lynn, who's basically a less wealthy and more experienced version of Lance at this point).
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline Willy

« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2016, 06:24:55 PM »
I always thought Massa should have retired when he had that horrible head injury a few years back.
Get out while you can.
There was a time when most drivers did not remain alive long enough to reach retirement.
We are very fortunate that the safety factors put in place in the last 30 years have allowed someone to get out alive after a long career.

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2016, 08:15:12 PM »
I can understand why he stayed after the injury. he wanted to know he could still do the job. After an injury you want to know how much damage was done; how much you may have lost.
Lonny

Online Jericoke

« Reply #24 on: September 29, 2016, 01:56:10 AM »
I can understand why he stayed after the injury. he wanted to know he could still do the job. After an injury you want to know how much damage was done; how much you may have lost.

I never quite understood the 'going out on top' that a lot of athletes subscribe to.  If you want to drive an F1 car (or play football, baseball, whatever), and can find someone willing to pay for you to do it, then go for it.

For some people a legacy matters, but for me, I want to do what I like.  If I could be the 18th best F1 driver in the world, I'd take it in a heartbeat.

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #25 on: September 30, 2016, 10:49:09 AM »

I never quite understood the 'going out on top' that a lot of athletes subscribe to.  If you want to drive an F1 car (or play football, baseball, whatever), and can find someone willing to pay for you to do it, then go for it.

For some people a legacy matters, but for me, I want to do what I like.  If I could be the 18th best F1 driver in the world, I'd take it in a heartbeat.

Like you Jeri, and I'm sure most of us, I'd also jump at the chance to be on the grid - even as the 25th best driver. ;)   :D   

IMHO this 'going out at the top' should really only be attributed to champions, or championship winning team members. There does seem to be something sad about the real cream of the crop staying too long - not sure Massa fits in this group though.

For me Schumi should have made way for another to join the grid rather than putting in less than middling performances at Mercedes, he can't have needed the money after all. Legends like JYS and Alain got it right as far as I'm concerned.   
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #26 on: September 30, 2016, 03:13:47 PM »
I can absolutely understand not wanting to retire. Many drivers at all levels have spent their entire lives wanting to become racers. For most, it's just a matter of running out of money & opportunities. there's an old saying: "I didn't quit racing, racing quit me."

This discussion makes me think of Richard Petty, the King of NASCAR. He dominated the series at the height of his career. For example, he won 27 of 49 Cup races in 1967, 21 of 48 in 1971. He won a total of 200 Cup series races in his career. David Pearson is second at a distant 105.

In his last 8 seasons, he had no wins and no poles. 5 wins & 0 poles in his last 11 years. Did he stay too long? Many fans remember him only as a back marker. Still, he remained one of the most popular drivers of the time. He is still the most NASCAR popular driver of all time.
― Bob Dylan

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle