collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 390
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11251 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Merc joins FE  (Read 2592 times)

Offline Scott

Merc joins FE
« on: October 05, 2016, 11:48:14 AM »
Hoping they won't have flame outs.  Ironically Merc is the last to the game of e-cars in Europe, at least the ones that are catching on, although I've read that the Power window buttons in the Tesla are actually Mercedes...

http://www.bbc.com/sport/motorsport/37553101

The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Warmwater

Re: Merc joins FE
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2016, 07:12:27 AM »
Firstly, I have owned several older Mercedes, and if Tesla uses their power window buttons it is a big mistake, have spent many hours getting the buttons to work, finicky and frustrating.
2nd, I worked for many years for a high technology battery company that was also involved in developing hydrogen fuel cells. The company had a prototype electric vehicle designed and built during the late 1980's, and carried out extensive testing. It was pretty much useless as a daily driver. Loaded up with as many batteries as possible it was the energy equivalent of 2.5 gallons of gasoline, so the range was not great. If it was raining or dark, the windshield wipers and headlights drained the batteries very quickly. And of course there was no heater or windshield defoggers, hopeless situation and don't ask about air conditioning.
While there have been some advances in battery technology, the underlying problems remain, including an 8 hour recharge requirement and several thousand dollar battery replacement every 2 or 3 years. And I have experienced many exploding or flaming "high tech" batteries.... not uncommon.
3rd  The cost of recharging the batteries is often disregarded or minimized. Electric energy is not free, and is actually a major infrastructure cost. At the moment recharging a very few electric cars is almost negligible compared to the overall energy usage. But if several million electric vehicles plugged in there would be shortages in the form of blackouts or brownouts in most, if not all, areas.  The existing electric grid can not provide the equivalent energy of the present fossil fuel usage. Disposal of used batteries is a major problem that you do not hear about.
4th   I purchased the experimental electric vehicle from my former employers, and after a couple of years of working with it, I removed the electric components and installed a "proper" gasoline engine. It suddenly became a useful vehicle that I could actually drive in any weather.
5th   I actually like the idea of electric vehicles, but there is a lot of work to be done to make them practical for more than a few dozen users who live in temperate climates that have no rain or night. I still lean toward hydrogen fuel cell or hybrid technology. For these reasons I agree with the current F1 engine regulations, and would even follow the electric racing series if it were better covered by the media.
The gasoline engine really does need either vast improvement or total replacement.
If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough.” ― Mario Andretti.

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2016, 12:32:31 PM »
I always thought of FE as a Monty Python skit. "We're going to prove how practical our cars are by showing that it take two complete cars to get one driver through a sprint race. Oh, and we'd better let the fans determine the outcome of the race via Twitter. With these silent little things putting around, we'll need some way to keep them awake."

Now, Audi is leaving LeMans racing for FE. I didn't think that VW Group would keep two teams in the series, especially with the financial burden of the diesel settlement. Still, they'd have done better to get completely out that be associated with this joke series.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2016, 11:56:17 PM »

I think it's a case of manufacturers covering their bases, the FE series is quite cheap to be involved in so as soon as a couple took an interest the rest are piling in to keep abreast of the technology.

Already the series is upping the amount of regenerated energy they are collecting and their aim is to make the cars last the whole race in the 2018/19 season which is the year Merc will be debuting in. Merc have plenty of experience in harvesting KERS and ERS from FI so could well have some sort of advantage when they arrive on the grid. 
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle