collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 586
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11275 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Fernando thinks the Halo should be removable  (Read 3428 times)

Offline Scott

Fernando thinks the Halo should be removable
« on: October 05, 2016, 01:14:14 PM »
I can't imagine how they could make it (quickly) removable and yet robust enough to prevent a wheel from coming into the cockpit at speed.  I think there would be some compromise on one side or the other. 

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/126510/alonso-suggests-making-halo-removable

The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline cosworth151

Re: Fernando thinks the Halo should be removable
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2016, 01:23:52 PM »
I'm not sure how it could be done, but I am sure that all of that high priced engineering talent in F1 could figure something out. I agree with Alonso that drivers should be able to exit the cars as quickly as possible in car of fire.

It's surprising that F1 doesn't have better fire suppression in the cars. Even most of the home built dirt track cars I used to drive had one button systems.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Online Jericoke

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2016, 03:18:57 PM »
I can't imagine how they could make it (quickly) removable and yet robust enough to prevent a wheel from coming into the cockpit at speed.  I think there would be some compromise on one side or the other. 

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/126510/alonso-suggests-making-halo-removable

Integrate it with the headrest.  It can be strong enough to stop forces coming from the top and sides, and still easily lift out.  It's not intended to protect the driver in case of a roll over (that's the roll hoop), so if it falls out/dislodges when the car is inverted, it won't present a danger.

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2016, 12:21:38 AM »
Not sure any driver trying to leave a cockpit stands any chance of beating a flashover fire from a fuel leak with or without a halo. :confused: 

Maybe best plan is to stay put allowing foam extinguishers to be directed easily into car. Better still have foam system onboard for self use. 
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2016, 01:43:34 AM »
F1 cars are required to have an automatic 5 litre fire extinguishing system that aims at the cockpit. Olivier Panis' went off accidentally at the 2004 British Grand Prix. If it required any buttons to operate, it would be against the rules as it is supposed to still work even if the driver is overcome by fumes or otherwise incapacitated. I am not entirely clear on what conditions the automated system is obliged to run. The extinguisher has to be, at least in principle, driver-accessible in case a situation arises where this is the better option. (Not sure how accessible any of the actual solutions are - I think they'd all need to be fished out from the base/side of the monocoque well, rather than be in a logical location).

The headrest would be a good solution for the anchor point were it not made from collapsible foam.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle