collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 310
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11251 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Dennis out  (Read 4131 times)

Offline Dare

Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline cosworth151

Re: Dennis out
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2016, 12:10:13 PM »
The word is that Ron attempted a £1.65billion ($2.05bn) hostile take over funded by Chinese interests. It failed & he's gone.

http://www.racer.com/f1/item/136437-dennis-steps-down-from-mclaren-role
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Steve A.

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2016, 03:11:58 PM »
Not sorry to see him go, no doubt he knows his job inside but I,  for some reason even I can't pin down,  have never liked the man.

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2016, 08:25:10 PM »
Not sorry to see him go, no doubt he knows his job inside but I,  for some reason even I can't pin down,  have never liked the man.

I've always felt he was a key figure in moving F1 from the garagistas into serious competition.  If you're a fan of the small privateer, that would be a good reason.

I liked him, because one of the things I like best about F1 is the variety of personalities which is reflected in the competition.  McLaren, the team, struck as more technical than anyone else, and other teams had to learn McLaren's game to stay in the sport. 

Very few other sports have management roles featured so prominently, which is another aspect that I love about F1. 

Offline Scott

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2016, 08:32:29 PM »
He certainly isn't very appealing as a personality, but that seems to be a theme in F1 these days (with a couple of exceptions).  His stubborn-ness is likely what brought him to a hostile takeover attempt.  The company is bleeding money, so I don't know why he would want to take it over anyway, and I don't see that changing any day soon - even if the '17 engine is a Merc slayer, it will be another year or two before that actually pays off at the bank.  Still, hats off to you Mr. Dennis, you gave us a good run over the last 30 years.  Enjoy retirement.

So is Boullier going to run the team now? 
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Scott

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2016, 11:43:15 AM »
The Chinese offer appears to still be live, and Dennis still owns 25% of the company, so there is still a very good possibility that if the offer is accepted, that Dennis could be waiting in the shadows to jump back in with the new owners...things could be interesting at McLaren over the winter.

http://www.china.org.cn/sports/2016-11/18/content_39732493.htm?
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2016, 01:12:52 PM »
The Chinese offer appears to still be live, and Dennis still owns 25% of the company, so there is still a very good possibility that if the offer is accepted, that Dennis could be waiting in the shadows to jump back in with the new owners...things could be interesting at McLaren over the winter.

From what I can remember of various statements from Ron in the last 18 months he has been trying to put together finance to buy out the others from McLaren. Whether he had some kind of agreement to buy all, or part, of the others holdings was never really made clear but there seems to have been a split developing over a long time. Ron's contract with the company was set to expire early next year and his majority partners chose not to extend his tenure. Rather than retire it looks like Ron chose to attempt a last minute takeover with Chinese backers.   

This seems to have been the final straw as far as the other majority shareholders are concerned, prompting early gardening leave for Ron. Mumtalakat and TAG the holders of 75% of McLaren shares have made it clear they want nothing to do with Ron's takeover plans, they will certainly know accepting the takeover offer will let Ron back in, why would they bother throwing him out if that's the outcome?  :confused:   

I'd say the hostile bid is dead in the water, sure it still exists on paper but I'd rate it's chance of success slimmer than Manor's chances of winning a GP this year.  ;)
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Irisado

« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2016, 10:47:02 AM »
Ron Dennis has always exemplified someone who really does care about Formula 1 and McLaren.  I admire that and I will miss his passion and commitment to Formula 1.  He is a divisive figure though and some of his behaviour hasn't endeared him to everyone.  I found the BBC feature on him to be an interesting read: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/38000198.
Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle