collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 357
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11253 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Bernie wants two F1 races at GP weekends  (Read 2409 times)

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
Bernie wants two F1 races at GP weekends
« on: November 20, 2016, 04:30:40 PM »
2 starts for more excitement, second grid decided by 1st result. 

Will it bring more fans to the track and will it bring more viewers? Probably - multi races at Touring car events makes it a lot more interesting.

How will tyre strategies with much shorter races play out though? will it mean the end of pitstops????

http://www.pitpass.com/57908/Ecclestone-looking-to-change-race-format
« Last Edit: November 21, 2016, 08:37:13 PM by John S »

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Jericoke

Re: Bernie wants two F1 races at GP weekends
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2016, 03:14:08 PM »
I have to say, given that much of the 90 minutes of an f1 race is simply cars turning laps without much going on, it's not a bad idea to make each lap count more.

Offline Steve A.

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2016, 04:09:47 PM »
It would be interesting,  but I doubt it will happen.  Season almost finished and Bernie  is looking for headlines to keep F1 in the news over the winter.

Offline Scott

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2016, 08:38:46 PM »
I'd rather see them do two heat races for Qualifying on Saturday and then race as normal on Sunday.  Reversing the grid on the second race would spice it up, but with so much close contact (and even if they just did it on Sunday), they would probably need to bring back spare cars or potentially have half empty grids.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline J.Clark

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2016, 09:20:02 PM »
It would be more interesting. 

It would also be more expensive.  It would like cost some teams a lot more because of wrecks alone.  Extra parts would be required for spares, particularly in the front wing department.

I like the two heat qualifying idea, especially if the the grid was reversed for the second race.  Let the start of the first heat race be based upon FFP-2 results . . .
Life is short - live each day to the fullest.

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2016, 03:20:05 PM »
I like the two heat qualifying idea, especially if the the grid was reversed for the second race.  Let the start of the first heat race be based upon FFP-2 results . . .

I've previously proposed a 'reversed grid' with a new scoring system:  one point per car passed.  Having a fast car at the back of the grid will be a huge advantage.  Pit stops will not be an issue:  you'll get to repass cars that passed you in the pits.  It will also force the top teams to back rules that encourage passing.

I think it still fits into the '2 race' format, presenting a reset.  Maybe allow some handicapping by allowing cars with fewer passes in the the first race to make more changes than cars with a high number of passes.

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2016, 11:37:18 AM »
I don't see it working, since the situation would still be that people tune in for 3 laps and then tune out again. Simply because it's happening twice doesn't make the bit after DRS turned on any more relevant (and by the time DRS has run for a lap, it's usually obvious how most of the field will turn out, these days). There was more than one queue in Abu Dhabi due to blancmange tyres preventing DRS passes, and it's not the only track where that's happened. Also, there'd be little to separate F1 from GP2 or GP3 if the same format was adopted.

The real problem is elsewhere.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle